snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 09 May 2013, 10:30 PM

Chef McDonald's cuts Angus burgers from menu

McDonald's is cutting the Angus burger from its menu.

The company had said earlier this year that it was evaluating whether to continue selling the Angus Third Pounders, which were introduced in 2009 and are among the chain's priciest items. The company also said at the time that it was it was cutting Chicken Selects and Fruit & Walnut Salad.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...09&id=16460708
Old 09 May 2013, 11:58 PM

I'll miss the Angus burgers. They were mighty tasty. The fruit and walnut salad I can make at home, and the chicken selects were kind of "meh", but I hate cooking meat at home, so I guess I'll have to get my Angus beef fix somewhere else. (Please. No Scotsman jokes).
Old 10 May 2013, 01:02 AM

What I'm getting out of that McDonald's tried adding some more "upscale" items to their menu, only to find that's not what the majority of their customers want. I very rarely eat at McD's, but when I do it's generally because I'm on the road, I'm hungry, and I just want something fast and cheap (and usually because it's just the first fast food place I see). If I'm actually going out to a burger joint I'll go someplace a bit better like In-N-Out or Habit (There is no 5 Guys in my area yet, but I'd like to try them one of these days).
Old 10 May 2013, 01:49 AM

No! Not the walnut, grapes, and fake yogurt salad! That's pretty much all I eat there!
Old 10 May 2013, 01:49 AM

This sucks. The Angus Burgers weren't half bad.

But yeah I get why hey are doing it. They were over priced and felt sorta out of place on the McDonalds menu.
Old 10 May 2013, 02:08 AM

My immediate gut is that this will mostly affect people who would not normally choose to eat at McDonald's but occasionally do so either from extreme convenience or being dragged there by their kids. ("I'd rather get a burger somewhere else, but if I've got to go to Mickey D's, this is at least decent.") No idea if facts bear this out.

Doesn't bother me personally -- tried one once, didn't care for it that much, returned to my old standard double cheeseburgers. (No one has to drag me to McDonald's, which is just as well as no one ever does.) But, sorry for the folks who will miss them.
Old 10 May 2013, 02:20 AM

That was pretty much it for me. Honestly it's been years since I've been to a McDonalds by choice (I'm really more of a Wendy's fan and will usually pick Burger Kind over McDonalds if given the choice), but it just one of those places you're going to occasionally find yourself and when those moments arose the Angus Burgers were usually a pretty decent option to fallback on.

But I'm one of those people that actually liked the Arch Deluxe that came out years ago. And the Big N' Tasty.
Old 10 May 2013, 07:49 AM

I think I've been to McDonald's more in the last three years in High Wycombe than I did in at least the 15 years before that. There's a lack of decent places to get non-sandwichy food in town that aren't just restaurants. There are a couple of chain pubs which do reasonable food but it's nice to have some choice. I've even been in McDonald's two or three times on my own, without being dragged in because other people wanted one.

I'm exactly the kind of person that would have eaten the Angus burger, but I still never tried it, just because I thought "we're still in McDonald's - it's not likely to be significantly nicer than anything else on the menu, and it's more expensive".
Old 10 May 2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
But I'm one of those people that actually liked the Arch Deluxe that came out years ago.
You and me both. I kind of miss that one.
Old 10 May 2013, 12:30 PM

A third for the Arch Deluxe.

The Angus burgers... I dunno. They always look good on the menu, but every time I've tried one it's either a dripping greasy mess or else a dried, tough hockey puck. Either way, I've never felt like I've gotten the proverbial bang for the buck in terms of quality vs. price.
Old 10 May 2013, 11:26 PM

Chef

I preferred their Chicken Selects over their regular nuggets(which tasted kinda blah to me). I don't eat their burgers much since they have a certain effect on my lower digestive system(which I'll leave to your imagination ).
Old 15 May 2013, 12:07 AM

Default McDonald's adding 3 new Quarter Pounders to menu

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdona...160308861.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- McDonald's is adding three new Quarter Pounders to its menu as the fast-food chain looks to offer cheaper premium burgers while capitalizing on one of its most popular brands.

The company, based in Oak Brook, Ill., says the new burgers will replace its meatier Angus Third Pounders, which were among the most expensive items on its menu at around $4 to $5. The Quarter Pounders will come in two of the same varieties as the Angus burgers Bacon and Cheese and Deluxe. The third option will be Habanero Ranch.
Old 15 May 2013, 07:08 AM

Ooh habanero ranch sounds interesting, now. Will have to go there at least once to try it.
Old 15 May 2013, 12:36 PM

Crap. I'm not a fan of most breakfast foods, most especially fast food breakfast. I tend to like fast food lunch-type items but they usually aren't served until later. I enjoyed the fruit and walnut salads on the few times I had to have fast food breakfast. It was tasty and healthy. Sorry to see it go. I do like the fruit and maple oatmeal too, though, so I hope they don't get rid of that too.