snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 14 February 2013, 02:15 AM

This is, in the opinion of many cats I've surveyed over the years, the best cat toy evah!

As Latiam suggests, a ping pong ball, (or a super ball) can be great. So can small stuffed toys that kittens can throw in the air and then pounce on. (Plus my favorite kitty game to watch--when the kitty sits on the toy and then jumps up in "surprise" and twists around to grab the toy that "attacked" it.)

These kind of pop-up cubes and tunnel can be great, too. Especially combined with any of the above toys.
Old 29 March 2013, 05:40 PM

Can you microchip an older cat?

My guy is 10 now, and he's tattooed but not chipped. He's been an indoor apartment cat all his life, and the furthest he's ventured from home is to the laundry room on my floor (the washer is really scary, btw).

My husband and I will be moving in the next year, and we're looking at going with a townhouse, which means there's the potential that the cat could get out. He's curious enough that he'd probably try to check things out, and just in case I want to do what I can to increase the chance someone will find him and get him back to us.
Old 29 March 2013, 05:43 PM

Oh, yeah! It's no problem at all. Frankly, you can easily do them yourself. It's just like getting shots, but with a bigger gauge needle.
Old 29 March 2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Here's a stupid pet question for you. One I should probably know the answer to since I've had cats for 10 years. My first 2 cats were not bug chasers, so when a bug got in i could douse it in Raid and then let the thing die without worrying. But new kitten Vidia is both a chaser and eater and now that it's coming into bug season again I don't know how to kill them. There's a flying german in my kitchen but if i Raid it and it hits the ground Vidia will eat it.
Get a fly swatter. I wouldn't care to spray any type of bug spray inside the house. However, no fear with a fly swatter. You'll actually get pretty good at it with practice.

I have to ask, though, what is a flying german?
Old 29 March 2013, 07:07 PM

Small cockroach.
Old 29 March 2013, 07:37 PM

Dog

Not this?

Old 29 March 2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
If I saw a cockroach in my kitchen... *faints dead away*
Old 29 March 2013, 08:15 PM

At least that's a small one. In FLA, you often get the GIGANTIC "Palmetto Bugs," which, I swear can be at least three inches long. They fly. And they are aggressive. And nearly impossible to kill.

Basically, the only animals on this planet that I truly fear are Palmetto Bugs and June Bugs (june bugs because they remind me of palmetto bugs)
Old 29 March 2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagurit View Post
If I saw a cockroach in my kitchen... *faints dead away*
Yeah, I'm very glad we don't get them here, but I'm very familiar with them from growing up in Florida.

ETA: Palmetto bugs are creepy, but to me the regular large sized brown American cockroaches were the worst (and they can fly too). Palmetto bugs look more like a cross between a cockroach and a beetle to me, and I'm not usually creeped out by beetles, so they're less creepy.

Last edited by erwins; 29 March 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 29 March 2013, 08:18 PM

My Aunt J, who married a career army man and lived all over the US and the world, used to say that in the north, you'd be embarrassed to have your neighbors see the exterminator's truck in front of your house, because they might think you were dirty, but in the south it was a sign of status/good housekeeping if you could afford to have the exterminator come in regularly.
Old 29 March 2013, 08:23 PM

I just tried watching a video of a palmetto bug, and got about two seconds in when I panicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfJGhV5zdag
Old 30 March 2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
Here's a stupid pet question for you. One I should probably know the answer to since I've had cats for 10 years. My first 2 cats were not bug chasers, so when a bug got in i could douse it in Raid and then let the thing die without worrying. But new kitten Vidia is both a chaser and eater and now that it's coming into bug season again I don't know how to kill them. There's a flying german in my kitchen but if i Raid it and it hits the ground Vidia will eat it.
For bugs like cockroaches, American or German, that generally only fly if rousted, it is usually fairly easy to vacuum them with a hose attachment. Hopefully you can keep your vac set up that way during bug season so it's not a major hassle.

And clearly tagurit has never dealt with roaches to suggest a swatter. Roaches laugh at swatters and wave middle fingers at you for trying them. Bricks are effective but have unfortunate side-effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
At least that's a small one. In FLA, you often get the GIGANTIC "Palmetto Bugs," which, I swear can be at least three inches long. They fly. And they are aggressive. And nearly impossible to kill.
They are not hard to kill - once you have grabbed them, you crush or bend them until the guts spurt out onto your fingers.
Old 30 March 2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
They are not hard to kill - once you have grabbed them, you crush or bend them until the guts spurt out onto your fingers.
I hate you right now, ATNM That seriously made me wretch a bit.
Old 30 March 2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
I hate you right now, ATNM That seriously made me wretch a bit.
Think how the people who keep cockroaches as pets feel about it! It would be like describing crushing puppies! Oh, the humanity! (I just cannot get upset ober the thought of killing roaches).

BTW, in this context I am pretty sure you meant 'retch'
Old 30 March 2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I wasn't even done with my first cup of coffee!
Old 30 March 2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Think how the people who keep cockroaches as pets feel about it! It would be like describing crushing puppies! Oh, the humanity! (I just cannot get upset ober the thought of killing roaches).

What she really meant was: "You wretch you made me retch."
Old 30 March 2013, 09:23 PM

My Shiba Inu (14 months) keeps barking at my 'dining room' hutch. It contains clean plates, our microwave, a toaster, and coffee with some drawers underneath where I keep paper towels and the like. No food. The hutch and its contents are unchanged for months and months.

This is a new behavior for about the last week. I'm afraid there's a mouse or some critter back behind the hutch given the way she concentrates her attention on it, but it's pretty easy to call her away from it using distraction and reward. If we really did have a mouse would a dog with such a high prey drive as a Shiba really let it alone? Or is she just insane? It's just so weird how she's suddenly semi-obsessed with the hutch.
Old 31 March 2013, 06:48 AM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
My Shiba Inu (14 months) keeps barking at my 'dining room' hutch....This is a new behavior for about the last week.
A critter in the cupboard is a possibility, but my first thought (OK, my second thought after "eek! a mouse!") would be that there could be some vibration rattling the plates. I understand that dogs can hear higher and quieter sounds than we mere humans can. Has the neighbor got a new tool that they're trying out in the basement? Are there large trucks carrying large shipments on the freeway a few streets away? Is there fracking going on in your neighborhood? Has the mouse got a dog whistle to tease the dog (and thereby you) with?
Old 31 March 2013, 07:00 AM

You know what, the barking completely coincides with us having a new upstairs neighbor (the apt above us had been vacant since I got her, until someone moved in about a week ago). That someone seems pretty noisy to me but I could just be spoilt from not having an upstairs neighbor for over a year.

Also they are renovating our hallway which involves a lot of power tools, etc. We're on the ground floor so most of the work is RIGHT outside the apt.

Either one of those could explain additional noise that upsets her and the construction could definitely be rattling the plates. We've also had major construction and regular controlled explosions happening from the 2nd Ave Subway project, but that has been going on long before I've had her. We can easily hear the explosions and she never flinches from those.

Since we're moving in a couple of weeks, I'll try wrapping up and packing the plates (to be honest I use the tupperware in the kitchen cupboard 99% of the time rather than the nice plates in the hutch) and see if that helps.

thank you!

Last edited by Plurabelle; 31 March 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:03 AM

For anyone else who may be considering teaching their cat to use the toilet, please check out the information at the following link. There have been recent studies indicating that cat feces may be causing otters to die in California from a disease called toxoplasma Gondii.

http://www.seaotterresearch.org/resources.shtml

Quote:
SEA OTTERS ARE BEING KILLED BY TOXO! We know that Toxo “eggs” are making their way into the ocean, but we don’t know exactly how sea otters are becoming infected. We do know that the only way to prevent them from being infected is to reduce cat poop in the environment.