snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > We've Got Mail

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 28 September 2007, 04:52 PM
Arriah's Avatar
Arriah Arriah is offline
 
Join Date: 15 August 2005
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 3,663
Default

Because only oxygenated blood is red. The veins returning depleated blood to the heart/lung area contain blood that's more of a bluish color.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 28 September 2007, 05:02 PM
Eddylizard's Avatar
Eddylizard Eddylizard is offline
 
Join Date: 15 June 2006
Location: Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Posts: 17,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Nice illustration on that link. Ugh.

So why do the veins look blue (or green), though?
Is than an 'ugh' because they are not the most detailed drawings ever made, or an 'ugh' because you find them offensive?

The most common explanation is that's it's something to do with the way light that penetrates the skin is scattered and re-radiated. But I'm feeling thick at the moment so I don't quite understand it.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 28 September 2007, 06:35 PM
Eddylizard's Avatar
Eddylizard Eddylizard is offline
 
Join Date: 15 June 2006
Location: Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Posts: 17,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Not the drawings of the circulatory system, the blood-dripping banner across the top of the page.
My apologies, I didn't see that, I sort of scanned through to the text bit. I think it comes from years of learning to ignore anything on the top inch of a webpage because it's more often than not an advert for something.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 28 September 2007, 06:40 PM
Arriah's Avatar
Arriah Arriah is offline
 
Join Date: 15 August 2005
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 3,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Wasn't that idea debunked on the last page?
Heh. I didn't read the whole page before... And apparently that bit of wisdom that's been in my brain forever deserves a big I suspect it won't be the last one.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 29 September 2007, 03:44 AM
Wondercow
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
When you have blood drawn for lab work (or donate blood), it's typically sucked/pumped directly into a collection vial or syringe without coming into contact with the air, yet the blood is still red.

- snopes
That's crazy enough to work! Seriously, why is it that sometimes the simplest answers escape us?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 29 September 2007, 04:08 AM
Wondercow
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
Because only oxygenated blood is red. The veins returning depleated blood to the heart/lung area contain blood that's more of a bluish color.
Uh, this is the crux of the discussion, blood - even deoxygenated - is red. Oxygenated (arterial) blood is bright red, and deoxygenated (venous) blood is deep, dark red.

The reason it looks blue through the skin (and remember, my original point was finding a quick way to explain it thoroughly - thanks Snopes!). It has to do with the depth of the veins under the skin and the energies inherent in the various wavelengths of light penetrating, and reflecting back through, the skin. Thus, colour systems come into play, with blood being in the category of subtractive colour; oddly enough, red blood reflects red light and absorbs blue light, but since the red doesn't have the power to escape the tissues, fats, etc. of the body, the unabsorbed, higher-energy blue light is reflected. But, because the blood actually absorbs the blue wavelengths, there is little reflection so normal veins appear dull and muted and varicose veins often appear brighter as they are often -ready?- varicose to the surface.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 29 September 2007, 04:31 AM
NOX
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Let me know when you get to they Young/Feynman Double Slit Experiment. I still don't buy the standard explanation, and I suspect there's a better, multi-dimensional explanation for it, but as my poor old brain is damaged and has lost a lot of its youthful plasticity, I can't quite grasp it. Maybe somebody here can help me.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02 October 2007, 06:47 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Crash

Comment: Re: The Missing Day article. In this article you state that
faith is believing in something that is not able to be proven. That is so
far off the mark. The Bible has never been disproven in any of it's
scientific statements. NOT saying that a missing day is scientific. Some
parts of the Bible DO have to be taken on faith. MOST of it is very much
proven over time and LONG before SCIENCE, so-called, discovered much of
it. Just a for instance. The Book of Job is chock full of science
facts. In it, the oldest book of the Bible, he states that the earth is
suspended on nothing. In other words it simply hangs in space. Look at
all of the other supposedly older and more enlightend "religions" and you
won't find that. Most of modern science owes its beginning and
underpinnings to the facts that are in the Bible. No, sir, the Believer
does not have to base his or her faith on unprovable beliefs. They are
quite proven and very solid. Thanks for listening.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02 October 2007, 06:47 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Icon204

Quote:
The Bible has never been disproven in any of it's
scientific statements.
http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/inde...le_and_Science
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 18 October 2007, 10:02 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Blow Your Top

Comment: Ok in your article you say since the cell phone and remote
transmit on 2 different frequencies it wont work. Your voice is on a different
frequencies than what the cell phone transmits on. The little kids
annoying police whistle in the back ground is on a different frequency.
Setting at the bus stop and the car stops at the stop light and its high
pitched squealing breaks can be heard on the other end. So now have you
actually tried this Myth? Or some engineer that sets in an office and
draws things came up with the answer?

An alarm remote is a frequency that can be recorded. BUT in todays
technology it can not be used because of "Code Hopping". Using one remote
all the time will make the other remote out of sync with the alarm. Alarm
companies have told us that if this happens to hold the remote down for 1
second then try again. Ever went in somewhere with your lovely little
toddler and it screams its head off when you get in front of people do you
pull your keys out for it to play with and not scream. All the while the
child is using it for a teething ring and pushing the buttons. time to go,
get to the car the remote wont work. Well exact same thing, remote and
alarm are out of sync. So you push the button about 5 times then start
beating it on the car to get some of the spit out. So you get frustrated
and squeeze the remote, hey wow it worked by banging it and squeezing it.
Really your holding down the button for about a second to get them back
into sync. Well me myself I have not tried it but there is a video online
on metacafe, I think thats what its called. They tried it but I dont
believe it because you can see the vehicles wheel in the top left corner
of the screen. But I am going to try it within the next couple of days.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04 December 2007, 02:32 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Teacher

Comment: I have read in several books, that the Washington Monument is
sinking about 6 inches every year. If this is true, wouldn't it have sank
out of sight by now?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04 December 2007, 03:07 AM
Izzy Quigley's Avatar
Izzy Quigley Izzy Quigley is offline
 
Join Date: 01 December 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,579
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: I have read in several books, that the Washington Monument is
sinking about 6 inches every year. If this is true, wouldn't it have sank
out of sight by now?
I took a bus tour of Washington D.C. in high school, and our guide, a very nice older man, told us some of the weirdest things people had asked him about the Washington Monument. Apparently some grade school kid was convinced that it can be retracted into the ground every night so that planes won't crash into it in the dark.

There's also a place near the base of the monument where the stone is a lighter color than at the top, because at one point construction was halted for a few years and when it began again the new stone didn't match. When our guide asked another school group if they knew why the stone was different, a student answered, "That's where the hinge is!" The kid then explained how the top of the obelisk can be unhinged from the base and lowered into the Reflecting Pool for cleaning.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 22 December 2007, 01:10 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Ponder

Comment: I have a question on an American myth.
Paul Bunyan

There are lots of things he did which are questionable but i was wondering
if he could have really made the Minnesota Lakes with 'babe the blue Ox'.
And if not, why couldnt he? (Mathematical, Geographical, Scientific Proof)
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 22 December 2007, 01:15 AM
Just Jocko's Avatar
Just Jocko Just Jocko is offline
 
Join Date: 08 October 2005
Location: Harford County, MD
Posts: 15,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: I have a question on an American myth.
Paul Bunyan

There are lots of things he did which are questionable but i was wondering
if he could have really made the Minnesota Lakes with 'babe the blue Ox'.
And if not, why couldnt he? (Mathematical, Geographical, Scientific Proof)
Well, duh. Because he was busy making the Grand Canyon at the time!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 22 December 2007, 01:17 AM
Just Jocko's Avatar
Just Jocko Just Jocko is offline
 
Join Date: 08 October 2005
Location: Harford County, MD
Posts: 15,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Quigley View Post
I took a bus tour of Washington D.C. in high school, and our guide, a very nice older man, told us some of the weirdest things people had asked him about the Washington Monument. Apparently some grade school kid was convinced that it can be retracted into the ground every night so that planes won't crash into it in the dark.

There's also a place near the base of the monument where the stone is a lighter color than at the top, because at one point construction was halted for a few years and when it began again the new stone didn't match. When our guide asked another school group if they knew why the stone was different, a student answered, "That's where the hinge is!" The kid then explained how the top of the obelisk can be unhinged from the base and lowered into the Reflecting Pool for cleaning.
One of my college friends came from DC. He used to love telling us about tourists' dumb questions. He and his brothers had one group convinced that the stone was lighter at the bottom because that's how high the water got the last time DC flooded. Because, you know, it's built on a swamp....
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 29 January 2008, 05:20 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
Teacher

Comment: About the following quote from
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/twoquestions.asp

"Also, Beethoven was not born to a woman who "had 8 kids already."
Although his mother, Maria Magdalena Laym (nee Kewerich) gave birth a
total of eight times during her lifetime, Ludwig was only her third child.
(Her first two children, one from a previous marriage, both died in
infancy.) Only two of Beethoven's five younger siblings survived beyond
their first few years of their life."

If "Ludwig was only her third child", and "her first two...died in
infancy", how did he have "five younger siblings"?
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 29 January 2008, 06:11 PM
jimmy101_again jimmy101_again is offline
 
Join Date: 29 December 2005
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 6,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: About the following quote from
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/twoquestions.asp

"Also, Beethoven was not born to a woman who "had 8 kids already."
Although his mother, Maria Magdalena Laym (nee Kewerich) gave birth a
total of eight times during her lifetime, Ludwig was only her third child.
(Her first two children, one from a previous marriage, both died in
infancy.) Only two of Beethoven's five younger siblings survived beyond
their first few years of their life."

If "Ludwig was only her third child", and "her first two...died in
infancy", how did he have "five younger siblings"?
For the chronologically impaired.

The 8 births of Ms. Laym (nee Kewerich) in chronological order;
kid 1, died (different marriage)
kid 2, died
kid 3, Ludwig
kid 4,
kid 5,
kid 6,
kid 7,
kid 8, (she gave birth 8 times)

Kids 4 through 8 are Beethoven's five younger siblings. Of those 5, only two survived beyond "their first few years of their life".

A dead sibling still counts as a sibling. Just as a dead grandfather is still a grandfather.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 29 January 2008, 06:47 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 19,028
Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jocko View Post
Well, duh. Because he was busy making the Grand Canyon at the time!
I thought that was Pecos Sam who dug the Grand Canyon.

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 03 February 2008, 12:31 AM
claudia
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I thought that was Pecos Sam who dug the Grand Canyon.

Seaboe
Pecos Bill
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09 February 2008, 04:49 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,660
D'oh!

Comment: In your article about the cost of making a "penny" you state that
the cost is 0.97 which is just under a cent. However, where your decimal
point is located makes this figure 97 cents. Correctly written, it should
have been .0097. There are 100 pennies in a dollar and two decimal points
to the right. Therefore 1 cent is .01.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.