snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 20 February 2019, 05:04 PM

I watched Quartet on Netflix. Starring Maggie Smith, Billy Connolly, and Michael Gambon, it's your standard formulaic "Let's put on a show to save [x]!" It's set at a retirement home for performers and they need to sell out their annual show for Verdi's birthday to keep the home open. I thought it was well done but fairly trite. I liked that it focused on seniors and showed them as full, developed people who still have thoughts and feelings. Perfect for watching with the in-laws.
Old 21 February 2019, 09:54 PM

We saw The Wandering Earth. It is an epic space opera in Chinese with subtitles. I had written off getting to see it in a theater out here in the boondocks but one cinema had it for a week. The visuals were stunning. I totally do not mind subtitles but I kept getting caught up in the scenes involving the planets and missing lines. I just saw something about it being on Netflix so I'll happily watch it again. There are so many sci fi and adventure movie tropes but I did get into the characters eventually. Do not overthink the physics. See it in a theater or on a big screen if you can.
Old 22 February 2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
We saw The Wandering Earth. It is an epic space opera in Chinese with subtitles. I had written off getting to see it in a theater out here in the boondocks but one cinema had it for a week.
News item popped up on my phone this morning that Netflix has grabbed it, so it will be available to a somewhat wider audience now. Never heard of it until I saw that bit, and now I'm pretty excited about it, especially after your post.
Old 03 March 2019, 12:25 AM

United Skates. Not a subculture that I knew anything about, but it still struck a nerve and was sad. I wonder if the film itself will revive enough interest to bring back a few rinks in major cities.
Old 10 March 2019, 04:00 PM

The Apollo 11 documentary was the best film I've seen in a long time. The editing was impressively and masterfully done, the score was stunning and immersive, and overall it was just a really memorable and brilliant experience.
Old 10 March 2019, 06:38 PM

Vanishing

Captain Marvel. It was okay. About on par with Iron Man 3. So, not world shatteringly awesome, but okay, and it did what it needed to do:

1) Introduce Captain Marvel
2) Explain why Captain Marvel hasn’t shown up in the intervening years. Oh, and how SHIELD got its hands on the blue cube thingy.

And one last thing, more of a musing, really. There was this really annoying toddler in the theater who just wouldn’t shut up. Among his unrestrained comments at the beginning of the film, on seeing “Vers” and her team in uniform was “Are those the bad guys, mommy?” She said “No, those are the good guys.” And I remember thinking “Bit early to be making that kind of judgement, isn’t it? I mean, clearly they have the hero in their midst, but we know next to nothing about the current geopolitical situation or their motivations.” Yep, nailed it.
Old 11 March 2019, 06:22 AM

Lady and the Tramp: I hadn’t seen this one since the glory days of VHS, so I finally decided to crack open my Blu-Ray and attempt to expose my nephew to the glory of pre-Black Cauldron Disney. He didn’t take to it, but I enjoyed noticing little things like how little we saw of Jim Dear and Darling’s faces (as opposed to Aunt Sarah and the two cooks at the restaurant). And, well, the Siamese Cat Song, racist though it is, is just so catchy.
Old 13 March 2019, 01:39 PM

Just watched Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse. I liked it, even though I’m not really familiar with the various comics (save Spider-Gwen and Miles both appearing in The Unbelievable Gwenpool, which I loved). The animation style, however, did give me a headache, especially when it went haywire at the climax.
Old 17 March 2019, 12:11 PM

I was in JB looking for Skippy when I found Ginger Meggs on DVD. It was OK, I guess. Mostly I just marvelled at the 1940s setting coupled with some oddly fitting 1980s music. Also, Drew Forsythe, who I best know from his parts in Essgee’s productions of The Mikado and HMS Pinafore, was Tiger Kelly. Garry MacDonald (best known as Arthur from Mother and Son and Norman Gunston) was Ginger’s dad, John Wood (Sgt. Croydon from Blue Heelers) was a police constable and Hugh Keays-Byrne (Toecutter and Immortan Joe from the Mad Max movies) had a small role as a seedy circus trainer. I will however say that the kid who played Ginge really looked the part. Mum was made to listen and didn’t enjoy it, but she says she was never a fan of the strip.
Old 18 March 2019, 01:40 PM

After technical problems kept me from seeing Captain Marvel opening weekend, we saw it yesterday. It's not the worst MCU movie, but it's pretty close.

So, so boring. We saw it in DBox, which are the seats that move with the action. We both almost fell asleep. And it was so dark. I thought that there was a problem with the projector for a while, but then they did a bright outdoor scene and it was fine, so the movie was just that dark. And it became clear that the reason it was so dark is that Brie Larson cannot do the fight choreography - they kept going to the camera tricks that hide what is actually going on.

But, on the plus side, Larson was great, and I liked her banter with Jackson. Any time they weren't in a fight, I enjoyed watching the two of them. I hope this means that most of the problems are on the director, and she will be a good character in Endgame. I also liked Ben Mendelsohn in it.

Finally, the cat. Everyone completely over sold the cat. It was a cat. It was slightly surprising when it first showed how it wasn't precisely a cat, but the cat was a long way from a breakout star. It was just a cat.
Old 18 March 2019, 02:06 PM

Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Finally, the cat. Everyone completely over sold the cat. It was a cat. It was slightly surprising when it first showed how it wasn't precisely a cat, but the cat was a long way from a breakout star. It was just a cat.
That's just, like, your opinion, man.