snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 04 February 2019, 01:03 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Jewelry commercials are almost universally about how love is equivalent to blowing money on expensive rocks.
It's not officially love if it doesn't involve something harvested via slave labor, used to fund civil wars, made artificially scarce via monopoly control, and mining the materials leaves behind a toxic, blighted landscape.
Old 04 February 2019, 03:31 AM

Something like that.

I don't know the name of the product, but it appears to be a line of frozen mozzarella sticks, stuffed potato skins, and other such fare that shows a husband shopping in the grocery store. And, of course, he's a clueless tool who can't find anything his wife asked him to get, like vegetables and salsa. Instead, he loads up on the advertised, unhealthy stuff but hey, he accomplished grocery shopping!
Old 04 February 2019, 11:57 AM

Icon105

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
When we were back east for Christmas, I heard the Kars4Kids ad.

Your luck had to run out sometime.
Old 04 February 2019, 01:39 PM

I don't know if it runs anywhere but retail locations, but the Founders commercial with the hipster guy griping about other beers shoving stuff down your throat. As he pitches for Founders.
Old 04 February 2019, 04:03 PM

Not Super Bowl-related, but it gets hard to watch Forensic Files on HLN when you have to deal with “Build The Wall!” ads every commercial break.
Old 05 February 2019, 02:21 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Is it the little boy in the glasses? I detest that ad. Also, I think the word you want is smarmy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Yes, that one. And I think that's the word I wanted for both that kid and Shatner.
And let's face it, smarmy is not easy to do when talking about medical problems.

After seeing Shatner's appearance several times (well, half-seeing it as I nod off at night) I realize that the dear friend he knew who needed oxygen therapy was probably Leonard Nimoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
When we were back east for Christmas, I heard the Kars4Kids ad.

I understand now.
Some commentary on that one:
Old 05 February 2019, 06:48 PM

Yesterday, on the way home from the laundromat, I heard a radio commercial for a mattress place. A woman begins by saying her washer broke not long ago(stay with me here). She has two kids, she needed a washer, but “my credit was ruined by the divorce.” In desperation, she resorted to...dramatic pause...a rent-to-own place.

How humiliating(her actual words)when the truck pulled into the driveway! She lives in a nice neighborhood, she works hard. Her neighbor even asked her, “Is everything all right?” And now, her mattress is failing. She’s having difficulty sleeping, she has back pain, and she can’t possibly afford a new one. What is she going to do???

And this is where the owner of the mattress store comes in, saying that they have financing options for those with less-than-perfect credit.

Now, I absolutely agree that RTO screws you over financially. But the ad was so completely overblown that it was painful.
Old 05 February 2019, 09:36 PM

Good lord, the Poshmark ads. "I paid for my wedding with what I made on Poshmark!" "I paid for all my family's vacations!" It's so bogus and unbelievable sounding and it fills me with an admittedly disproportionate and irrational amount of anger.
Old 06 February 2019, 02:18 AM

I don't even know what that is. Some sort of online multi-level marketing scam?
Old 06 February 2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Not Super Bowl-related, but it gets hard to watch Forensic Files on HLN when you have to deal with “Build The Wall!” ads every commercial break.
I record so much of what I watch to my hard drive now so I can fast forward through the ads. I got sick of ads when I worked as the Audio visual library assistant at a school and recorded stuff off air and took the ads out. I watched the ads go from every 15 to 20 mins to less to less then 5mins between ads. Reality TV was the worst. Or at least that is where it started.

And yes some ads are repeated every ad break.

Dear TV executives, annoying the nfbsk is not the way to sell something. There are certain TV programs that I i was interested in watching until they were advertised to death. I was sick of them before they even started.

Since I rarely buy stuff because I have seen in advertised I can't comment if the same thing happens with products.
Old 06 February 2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Good lord, the Poshmark ads. "I paid for my wedding with what I made on Poshmark!" "I paid for all my family's vacations!" It's so bogus and unbelievable sounding and it fills me with an admittedly disproportionate and irrational amount of anger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I don't even know what that is. Some sort of online multi-level marketing scam?
Poshmark is an online service where you can sell your used clothes, etc. to others. The ads are clearly aimed at a female demographic who live most of their lives through their smartphones, and the users who appear in their commercials are constantly talking about the amazing (and apparently effort-free) cash flow the site brings them. One commercial that focuses on just one user just REALLY rubs me the wrong way: she's shown with lots of trendy, flashy, and almost certainly overpriced outfits, and then we see her posing in them - quite professionally - as someone snaps her picture to illustrate her Poshmark postings. She creates the impression she's a holier-than-thou influencer gracing her public with the opportunity to pay her for some of her jetsam.
Old 08 February 2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I record so much of what I watch to my hard drive now so I can fast forward through the ads. I got sick of ads when I worked as the Audio visual library assistant at a school and recorded stuff off air and took the ads out. I watched the ads go from every 15 to 20 mins to less to less then 5mins between ads. Reality TV was the worst. Or at least that is where it started.

And yes some ads are repeated every ad break.

Dear TV executives, annoying the nfbsk is not the way to sell something. There are certain TV programs that I i was interested in watching until they were advertised to death. I was sick of them before they even started.

Since I rarely buy stuff because I have seen in advertised I can't comment if the same thing happens with products.
I'm reminded of the - supposedly novel - ad format that Fox used during the first season of Dollhouse and (IIRC) the concurrent season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The last commercial break before the end of each episode would be of then standard length, while all preceding commercial breaks would be no more than a minute each; the upshot was an actual running time of 50-55 minutes per episode. Sadly, it was discontinued after that season and episodes shrank to 40-45 minutes.
Old 14 February 2019, 04:39 PM

There are several radio ads that qualify for this one.

The disclaimers at the end of radio commercials have long been truncating silence from the speech to minimize the amount of time that has to be devoted to the disclaimer. But now they are overdubbing the end of each word with the beginning of the next word, making the speech almost completely unintelligible (I'm sure that's the point, not an "accidental" byproduct of speeding up the disclaimer.)
Old 15 February 2019, 02:35 AM

I've noticed that some radio commercials here have been editing the silence out of the actual ad, then, in addition, speeding up the disclaimers.
Old 15 February 2019, 05:33 AM

The United Australia Party ads. I don’t know if Twisted Sister stopped those ones, but I just freaking hate Palmer anyway.
Old 16 February 2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
The United Australia Party ads. I don’t know if Twisted Sister stopped those ones, but I just freaking hate Palmer anyway.
Apparently not. But they are still on air so maybe they don't "Own'" their songs anymore.

I wonder who he thinks will like these ads? I don't see Twisted Sister fans as being Palmer voters...but I guess we are all getting older. And maybe he is deluded enough, or out of touch enough to think this will appeal to young people.
Old 16 February 2019, 07:18 AM

Well, the ads give the impression of “he’s just left of Hitler” anyway.

For foreign viewers, here’s a sample: https://youtu.be/zzBqHz5JTns

Incidentally, Mum doesn’t like Shorten or ScoMo, and definitely hates this guy. So she has no idea who she’ll vote for in May.
Old 17 February 2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:

Incidentally, Mum doesn’t like Shorten or ScoMo, and definitely hates this guy. So she has no idea who she’ll vote for in May.
Just leave the ballad blank and put in the box. I haven't even thought about it yet. I have other things on my mind. But of course who wins in May will have an effect on that, in all likelihood or at least on my disability pension, as well as other things.
Old 17 February 2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I always vote backwards. I put the last preference with the one I despise the most, then next in line, etc, till I get to who's left.
Old 18 February 2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
I always vote backwards. I put the last preference with the one I despise the most, then next in line, etc, till I get to who's left.
Pretty much how I have voted for since I started 30 years ago.