snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 04 February 2019, 12:40 PM

Serenity doesn't mind the vet visits...she loves to wander around the exam room looking in all the nooks and crannies. I have to pull her out of the gap between the mini fridge and the wall.

She loves the physical exam where they feel her for lumps and bumps and whatever. But the face she makes when the vet takes her temperature! Seems to convey a blend of betrayal and 'oh my goodness, what's that'.
Old 04 February 2019, 04:21 PM

Okay, here is a weird thing River does.

This time of year, I have flannel sheets on the bed and she slips under the covers with me. Not weird.

What is weird is that she starts on my left side, stays there for maybe twenty minutes, then gets out, walks around to my right side, and gets back under. Also, regardless of which side she's on, she wants to sleep pressed up against my chest so she'll paw at me until I roll over for her.
Old 05 February 2019, 12:43 AM

Nelson has decided lately that he wants to sleep on top on my feet. That seems weird in and of itself because my feet seem like they'd be the least comfortable part of me to sleep on.

But secondly, I keep an extra blanket folded up at the foot of my bed because often when I go to bed it's too warm to sleep under all the blankets but if I get chilly later as the temperature drops I can reach down and pull up another blanket. Last night a found myself getting chilly*, except there was a cat sleeping on the extra blanket, and my feet. So I reached down and started to pull on the blanket, expecting the cat to get up and move. Instead, he didn't move at all and allowed me to drag the blanket up the bed with him on top of it. So I got to sleep under the blanket, and he was now next to my chest rather than on my feet.

*After the incident described in the LTTAY thread.
Old 05 February 2019, 01:10 AM

I have an older kitten who insists on sleeping up against me. She moves between sleeping under the covers and on top of the covers. She isn't picky about where, but she prefers to have as much contact as possible. She especially likes sleeping against my chest with my arm cradling here on the other side. I've never had a cat who wanted to sleep that close before.
Old 05 March 2019, 12:40 AM

Another weird thing River does.

River does not like boxes. If I set a box out, she'll sniff it, maybe rub up against it a little, but then she ignores it. If I put her in a box, she'll look around, then hop right back out. She just doesn't want to be in them.
Old 05 March 2019, 12:54 AM

A cat that doesn't like boxes? That's like a fish that doesn't like to get wet!
Old 05 March 2019, 07:50 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
She especially likes sleeping against my chest with my arm cradling here on the other side. I've never had a cat who wanted to sleep that close before.
One of my sister's cats used to sleep with me like that. He was one of those cars who had no real human; as long as someone was home he was fine. Since my sister worked nights he slept with me.
Old 05 March 2019, 01:20 PM

I've had several cats who would do that, for at least part of the night; including one of the current Old Cats.

Also a couple who like/d, at least in cold weather, to get under the covers and curl up next to me -- including the other current Old Cat.

(The Young Cat likes to curl up around the top of my head and knead. As this pulls my hair I unfortunately have to discourage it.)

-- it suddenly occurs to me that I don't think I've ever seen the Visiting Cat in a box. When she first arrived I made sure the room she started off shut in had a box available, with a nice cozy towel in it yet. I don't think she ever used it. And now that she's got the run of the house I see her up on top of shelves, and curled up or sprawled out in chairs, and occasionally on the kitchen table -- GET DOWN FROM THERE -- but I don't think I've seen her in a box, though there are several scattered around because the other cats like them. I'll have to try putting her in one and see what happens.
Old 06 March 2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'll have to try putting her in one and see what happens.
The experiment has been made.

I picked up Visiting Cat and put her in a box. She appeared to settle into it, and purred while getting ear skritches.

I moved away from the box. Visiting Cat promptly came back out of it and moved to the cushion on one of her two favorite chairs.

So she's not upset by boxes, at least not by shallow open top boxes; but didn't seem to be all that enthralled, either. I may try over the next few days to replicate the results.
Old 06 March 2019, 02:09 PM

I'm not sure how valid these types of experiments may be. I've known cats who loved boxes, but only on their own terms. When placed in a box, even a favorite or frequented box, by a human, it would be immediately vacated at the first chance. They just would not tolerate being put someplace.
Old 06 March 2019, 02:52 PM

Oh, any experiment involving cats is screwed from the beginning.

"Don't use cats, they'll screw up your data!"
Old 06 March 2019, 04:19 PM

They will and they won't. The problem is, you won't know if they will screw up your data until you perform the experiment and they either do or don't.
Old 06 March 2019, 05:05 PM

Poor Schroedinger. He just didn't know!
Old 07 March 2019, 03:39 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
I'm not sure how valid these types of experiments may be. I've known cats who loved boxes, but only on their own terms. When placed in a box, even a favorite or frequented box, by a human, it would be immediately vacated at the first chance. They just would not tolerate being put someplace.
Kitties just like being contrary. Its part of their nature. I highly suspect that kitties exist to keep humanity humble, are like, No matter how many men you put on the moon, you hairless apes cant stop me from doing what I want when I want.
Old 07 March 2019, 02:30 PM

One of mine is often found in the evening curled up on my bed in her usual sleep-on-the-bed spot.

No matter how carefully I get into the bed, she will almost always leave as soon as I get in there . . .

and usually come back a few minutes later, to settle in for the night.

'No, I'm not going to admit that I was here waiting for you!'
Old 07 March 2019, 03:07 PM

River takes a more proactive approach when she decides it's time for me to go to bed.

She smacks me in the back of the knees and bites my toes.
Old 07 March 2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
One of mine is often found in the evening curled up on my bed in her usual sleep-on-the-bed spot.

No matter how carefully I get into the bed, she will almost always leave as soon as I get in there . . .

and usually come back a few minutes later, to settle in for the night.

'No, I'm not going to admit that I was here waiting for you!'
Serenity does the same some nights. We interpret it as, 'now you all are here, I'm going to see if you left any cups of water, dairy products, or anything else I can stick my face in, on the coffee table.'
Old 07 March 2019, 03:56 PM

As near as I can tell, she doesn't generally go downstairs, though. Often she seems just to go over to the other side of the room for a while.
Old 09 March 2019, 02:08 PM

My kitty Marie will often starting chirping at me around bed time. When I get up to go over and pet her or cuddle her, she will run up the stairs and stare down at me from up there.
Old 12 March 2019, 01:44 PM

Icon106

Maybe I mentioned this earlier, but (Boss) Gobi likes to lay on an unmade bed. In fact I wrote a song about it. Here it goes...

Gobi the anti bed-making cat
Gobi the anti bed-making cat
He will smack you with his paw
I'm just glad he don't use claws
Gobi the anti bed-making
Gobi he just can't fake it
Gobi the anti bed-making cat...

Yup. Keeping the day job.