snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 18 July 2018, 10:37 PM

Icon18 New UFO Drama Series "Project Blue Book": First Look Trailer I HISTORY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4EmfM9isHo

Old 18 July 2018, 11:01 PM

I plan on rewatching Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull instead as I think it will be more historically accurate.
Old 19 July 2018, 01:29 PM

It was called "Project UFO" in the 1970s. I remember believing it was real (well, depiction of real) as a kid, but I was much more gullible then.

Interesting to hear that Aiden Gillan's voice annoys me no matter the accent.
Old 19 July 2018, 03:48 PM

"Based on true events"

True:

The Air Force did investigate UFO sightings as Project Blue Book.
They did utilize J. Allen Hynek (who was also a consultant for CE3K).

I think that is all the truth I see
Old 22 July 2018, 02:42 AM

Oh good Lord. I watched the original as a wide-eyed kid who was deeply into anything and everything woo-woo - had a complete collection of Bermuda Triangle and Ancient Astronaut books, plus my personal favorites, Our Mysterious Spaceship Moon and Worlds In Collision - and I didn't watch past maybe the third episode, tops. It was pretty guh. Aren't all the current crop of UFO shows on the "educational" cable channels covering this well enough already?
Old 22 July 2018, 04:15 AM

Well, given the History Channel logo, I think it's meant to complement them.
Old 23 July 2018, 01:53 PM

TV

Wow. I've seen cop shows that swear they're NOT based on any real-life incidents that are closer to real-life incidents than this seems to be. I'm amazed there are references to complex crop circles (not seen until long after Blue Book was closed), ancient mystic symbols, and possibly the triangular displays of Back to the Future's flux capacitor and Buckaroo Banzai's ocillation overthruster.

BTW, Jack Webb's Project UFO in the late 1970s was a real stinker. With the premise that it was based on real sightings, but with the fact that UFOs haven't been proven as extraterrestrial, it was almost by definition full of dead-end stories. I vaguely remember one episode where the sighting was presented in the usual detail at the beginning, but eventually proven to be nothing but a story made up by the alleged witness!
Old 23 July 2018, 02:45 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
UFOs haven't been proven as extraterrestrial
This is where I get all pedantic and stuffy. Of course they haven't been proven to be extraterrestrial. They're Unidentified. No one knows what they are. Once you prove (or even merely decide) that they are extraterrestrial, then they are no longer UFOs, they're IFOs or, more commonly, Flying Saucers.

Seaboe
Old 23 July 2018, 05:13 PM

Many years ago (it must have been about 1960) my mother and I saw something silver overhead, moving apparently very fast, and making no noise at all that we could hear.

We concluded that it was certainly a UFO -- at least from our point of view. We had no idea what it was, after all.

We did not, however, conclude that its source was extraterrestrial, although we joked about it. I think that we may have speculated whether the Air Force had something they hadn't announced.

--I very much doubt that this planet has the only technology-using species in the universe. But the universe is an incredibly huge place, and I also very much doubt that any of the others is zipping around here, especially in the sort of fashion usually described in these reports.
Old 23 July 2018, 05:33 PM

Years ago, I saw an odd black object flying around, moving apparently at random. After observing it for about five minutes, it eventually drifted close enough to me that I could tell it was, in fact, a plastic garbage bag that had gotten caught in an air current several hundred feet off the ground.

It was still a very strange sight.
Old 23 July 2018, 06:01 PM

Ohhh yeah, plastics can do strange things.

A few years ago, I saw something really really weird in one of the field headlands. Moving and shifting and changing shape and shimmery and strange -- I crept up on it with great caution, though I was thinking more of some sort of very strange and very large insect egg case about to hatch than of ET's.

Turned out to be a silver mylar balloon caught on the bushes, half deflated, moving in the wind, and reflecting various patterns from all the plants around it.

-- whatever my mother and I saw in the 60's wasn't that, though. It was moving in a straight line, and fast; motion like an airplane except no sound at all, either with it or seeming to follow behind. I think also the coloring was different than we'd have expected from an airplane at the time.
Old 23 July 2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
This is where I get all pedantic and stuffy. Of course they haven't been proven to be extraterrestrial. They're Unidentified. No one knows what they are. Once you prove (or even merely decide) that they are extraterrestrial, then they are no longer UFOs, they're IFOs or, more commonly, Flying Saucers.

Seaboe
Point well taken, and one I often make myself. However, the strong suggestion of the show was that they were extraterrestrial (or something like that), so that was the context of my critique. Replace "UFOs haven't been proven as extraterrestrial" with "there is no conclusive explanation for most of the UFOs depicted" if you want to.