snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 01 July 2018, 06:20 AM

As I understand it GM had fixed most of the problems with the Vega by the last couple of years of the model's run, so the 1975-76 models weren't so bad. But by that time their reputation was so tarnished that people weren't buying them anymore and they had to kill it off. Well replace it with the Chevy Monza anyway, which was based on the Vega but definitely not a Vega as far as far as GM's marketing people were concerned.

My mom had a Vega as well when I was very young; my parents sold it when I was around four but I have vague memories of being picked up from preschool in it.
Old 02 July 2018, 06:07 PM

Cheer

The Thai soccer team and their coach have been located!

Now, everyone has to get out safely, so my fingers are still crossed.
Old 02 July 2018, 10:05 PM

They're all still alive!

That's great. -- though it does sound as if getting them out isn't going to be easy.
Old 03 July 2018, 06:47 AM

As the father of a 11 year old soccer player, I've been following this, too, and I did gete some dust in my eyes on reading the good news.

Now, they are able to get food and first aid to the kids and their coach, and if the need arises, they would probably be able to ferry them out one by one with scuba gear. All will be well!
Old 13 July 2018, 07:21 PM

My next neighbor finally got a security system installed and her flood lights no longer illuminate my yard and a good portion of my house. About time! Yes, there are lights, but they light up specific areas instead of one the driveway; a camera keeps its unblinking eye on that.
Old 13 July 2018, 07:54 PM

Glasses

And just to finish up the Thai story, all the boys and their coach have been rescued.

Seaboe
Old 19 July 2018, 01:26 AM

A while ago I posted about the colossal bummer of trying to train an attorney who just wasn't working out for us. Since then I've trained two new attorneys who are now in their own courtrooms without my constant supervision. Today each of them won a major victory for their respective clients. I'm so proud!
Old 19 July 2018, 12:49 PM

Judge

That is great to see, Esprise Me. It is good that you and your clients are getting people who are more suited to the career.
Old 20 July 2018, 01:36 AM

Chicken

I own the vacant lot next to my house and today I saw some kind of hawk or falcon hunting in the grassy area then flying its kill back into the centre area of trees.
Old 20 July 2018, 10:29 PM

In a vital jigsaw-puzzle related update, I'm sure you'll all be as happy as I was to discover that there were in fact no pieces missing from my puzzle after all. Even the one piece that I'd thought I couldn't possibly have missed, because it was too distinctive and I'd even looked at all the pieces the same shape, turned out to have been hiding disguised as something else, as jigsaw puzzle pieces do.
Old 21 July 2018, 11:51 AM

Excellent news. You’ll be pleased (?) to know your next challenge went in the post yesterday!
Old 21 July 2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
I own the vacant lot next to my house and today I saw some kind of hawk or falcon hunting in the grassy area then flying its kill back into the centre area of trees.
Habitat! Habitat! Three cheers for habitat! -- it's surprising how much can be provided in individual lots, if they're not all turned into monospecies lawn over the entire area.
Old 22 July 2018, 04:03 AM

We spent several days this past week with my parents in Tennessee; it was a very good trip and, aside from hot and humid weather, the weather was fine. Until last night. Then we had a double tornado warning - two systems passing over our location with tornadic wind patterns inside a 30-minute window, Started with an awesome lightning show, then the warning, which included the possibility of torrential rains, hail, generally high winds, and thunderstorms. And we got the rain, at the very least, and at least one lightning strike very very close to our hotel at ungodly-o'clock in the morning.

Thing that made us happy: no tornadoes, so far as we heard, nor any significant damage/injuries in the general area (again, at least as far as we heard). It was our first tornado warning, and the first time all of our cell phones simultaneously started making the emergency alert signal, so we were pretty nervous about it.
Old 22 July 2018, 04:19 AM

LTTMMH: seeing new growth on a dehydrated orchid I rescued from the Clearance Rack of Death at the big box garden center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I saw Cher in Vegas, on the day before her 72nd birthday. From the 4th row (but not the center of the row).
I guess I never posted about this but: Earlier this year I saw Weird Al twice on his "self-indulgent, no parodies" tour. The first night I was 12th row center; the second night in Atlanta I was front row (towards the right). Between both nights, he did all my favorite original songs. They were two of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever seen. I didn't go for a meet-and-greet this time, but when he was leaving the stage in Atlanta, I waved my arms frantically and he noticed and smiled directly at me and waved back and I know he's done that to thousands of people in crowds but it made me happy anyway.
Old 23 July 2018, 01:32 AM

LTTMMH: While catching up on the internet comics and sites that I missed while on vacation, I saw a comment on a Cracked.com article by a DarthCredence. Who, I hope, is our very own...?
Old 23 July 2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Excellent news. You’ll be pleased (?) to know your next challenge went in the post yesterday!
And arrived this morning - thanks! Great design but it does look a tricky one - I don't think I'm going to beat your wife's time...
Old 25 July 2018, 11:05 AM

Whalephant

I found a kindle case I love for my new kindle fire and it was reasonably priced (MoKo's Forest Blue design).
Old 27 July 2018, 03:53 AM

Mouse

In the midst of all the terrible news in the world, a short little video of girls in a rock band is a much-needed break:Heavy Metal Hijabis

You'd have to be a churl to not smile at it. Let no one clip your wings, girls.

Last edited by Mouse; 27 July 2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Fixed punctuation, added paragraphing
Old 27 July 2018, 04:42 AM

Theme Icon

The plumber arrived and unblocked our drain! It's a nice sunny day (in the middle of winter!!)! My phone has been dying for quite some time but I got some spare cash last week so I could afford a replacement and my new phone arrived in the mail today! I managed to cross off a whole bunch of little jobs in my garden that had been crowding my 'to do' list for way too long!
Old 01 August 2018, 05:47 PM

Ice + "cold brew" tea + simple syrup = perfect beverage for a hot day