snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 30 April 2016, 06:02 PM

Default Bernie Vs Trump Supporters Receipts

This was posted on FB

Was wondering if there is any way to prove validity of it. I know as of late I've seen a few stories of receipts being faked in order to get attention. For the record I don't support either candidate here just the truth.
Old 01 May 2016, 02:25 AM

Because of the thousands upon thousands of supporters of each, one random generous soul/@$$hole is a valid representative sample.

I'd give this one about even odds - the two receipts are from two different states, which means presumably there are versions of each as a standalone somewhere online if authentic, and that someone assembled them into a single image to make the point. Or, one or both could be faked.

Either way, I don't think that there's a particularly valid point to be made by extrapolating from these.
Old 01 May 2016, 02:34 AM

The Trump one is the Customer copy (though they could have kept the wrong copy), but it seems like an awful lot to write on a receipt. If it was written by a customer they're an idiot who doesn't understand what 'miracles', 'hard work' or 'hand outs' mean.
Old 01 May 2016, 02:35 AM

Also, the no-tip receipt is from California, where servers get full minimum wage. So not tipping a server there is not stiffing them.
Old 09 May 2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Also, the no-tip receipt is from California, where servers get full minimum wage. So not tipping a server there is not stiffing them.
That's actually a good point. I'm not sure if it matters if this is fake or real, but as someone else said it really does seem like a lot to write on the receipt to get a point across. Thanks!