snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 24 November 2017, 02:35 AM

Default Upgrading the memory on a PS4

With the increasingly bloated size of video games these days, I find that I'm running out of memory on my PS4 far to rapidly and have to delete a game or two every time I try to add a new game. I understand that you can increase the memory with an external hard drive but I've never done anything like that. Anyone have any advice on how to do so or what type of external hard drive to buy? I've seen a few brands that are noted as failing rapidly.
Old 24 November 2017, 10:00 AM

Does your PS4 have a USB port on it? Some of the earlier versions don't, making extending the storage space a bit more complicated.

If it does have a USB port, my understanding is that the procedure is pretty straight forward. Plug a USB 3.0 capable HDD into the USB port, and then turn on the PS4.

The HDD has to be formatted for use with the PS4, so there shouldn't be any files on the new device.

Then follow the procedure as set out in this tutorial video (note, it has some really annoying music interludes that probably weren't necessary-but it shows the process step by step once the drive is plugged in):

https://youtu.be/W6brU7aksQM

Another tutorial, without the music and its pretty clear and addresses a fairly common error message as I understand it, but still has its quirks (what is it with "grand un-boxings" anyway? Its just a friggin' hard drive, NFBSK-it! ) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdVoGP3nvCY

~Psihala
Old 24 November 2017, 06:58 PM

AIUI, an external HDD can't be used for installed games, just for saves. What would be best for your problem is to swap to a larger internal HDD. This process is fully supported by Sony .
Old 24 November 2017, 07:04 PM

Blah, that's exactly the sort of process I was hoping to avoid, GenYus. Oh well.
Old 28 November 2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
AIUI, an external HDD can't be used for installed games, just for saves.
I double-checked and this is actually backwards: external HDDs can only be used to install games and other apps, but not saved games.

Discovered that I actually had a lot more money at the end of the month than I was expecting (well, I did put in a bunch of extra hours), so I picked up a 4 terabyte HDD today. Now my PS4's memory troubles are a thing of the past. For the moment.
Old 28 November 2017, 09:08 PM

Sorry, I meant it could be only be used to backup saved games. That used to be the case, but the OS was updated back in March to allow the external drive to be used to install games. Cool, I guess a lot of people thought like you did.
Old 28 November 2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I double-checked and this is actually backwards: external HDDs can only be used to install games and other apps, but not saved games.

Discovered that I actually had a lot more money at the end of the month than I was expecting (well, I did put in a bunch of extra hours), so I picked up a 4 terabyte HDD today. Now my PS4's memory troubles are a thing of the past. For the moment.
I've gotta do that with my XBox One...I hate having to delete games just to add new ones.