snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 27 July 2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Air conditioner have a condenser reservoir that is overflowing? Ducts allowing condensation?

Those are the first things that pop into my mind.
Finally got someone over with a ladder to look. It was pebbles that had fallen through from the roof, laying on the tile and vibrating. They think it was the air ducts causing the vibration.
Old 27 July 2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I have met a few people who seem to think it's a hideous breach of etiquette to have a bowel movement anywhere but your own house.* Maybe the product creator knew more than a few people like that.

*Lucky people with low-maintenance digestive systems, who should be counting their blessings instead of judging other people's use of a toilet for one of its primary purposes.
And people who still have gallbladders.

Whole thing reminds of what I read about advertisers turning BO and bad breath into medical conditions that need their products.
Old 27 July 2017, 06:36 PM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Sorry Seeboe, my kids always push those buttons at the library so they can act like magicians, opening the door by the power of their mind! (snip)
I have to admit that, even at the age of 56, there are many times as I am walking through the double set of sliding doors at the grocery store I hum the theme song from "Get Smart."
Old 27 July 2017, 06:43 PM

The only true way to open automatic doors is with a Force Push or Parting the Red Sea gesture.
Old 27 July 2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
I have to admit that, even at the age of 56, there are many times as I am walking through the double set of sliding doors at the grocery store I hum the theme song from "Get Smart."
Sometimes, to get to a meeting in another building, I have to pass through a series of doors and gates/turnstiles. I don't hum it, but I definitely hear it in my head.
Old 27 July 2017, 11:40 PM

Icon07

This is a large number of small things that add up to a very big thing. We have managed to acquire bed bugs...ugh. I hate to even admit it. I quit picking stuff up off the road years ago. We haven't traveled in forever. DD and her DH lived in a trailer that was infested and moved out leaving almost everything behind. They lived here about 4 months after, but I don't think we got it from them because they've been out of here for about six months, and this crap just started about 3 weeks ago. I talked to the exterminator and he told me that you can pick them up virtually anywhere. In a restaurant on your bag or shoes, anywhere you go in public. I've been told that there are a lot of them in our town.

Anyway, I've got a lot of prep work to do before I have the exterminator in. Meanwhile I'm fighting the little bastards the best I can with, steam, tape, sprays, traps, hot hot washing and drying. It's gonna' take work to unload a ton of crap we've collected over the years, but it's time to de-clutter anyway. I just need to find the time and energy. This is so demoralizing.
Old 28 July 2017, 02:56 AM

I'm so sorry, Sylvanz. But I can't say more because I'm paranoid-toward-phobia about bed bugs.

The thing that annoys me lately is a friend who comments on every. single. Facebook post and yet doesn't actually say appropriate things. I post links, she comments, it's clear she's not read anything--and these are links to stuff I've written, so she's not only picking an argument with an author she hasn't read, she seems to not get that I am the author she hasn't read.

And then she PMs me links to things Rand Paul has written, incessantly!
Old 28 July 2017, 03:31 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Sometimes, to get to a meeting in another building, I have to pass through a series of doors and gates/turnstiles. I don't hum it, but I definitely hear it in my head.
I have not done this, yet... What a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
The only true way to open automatic doors is with a Force Push or Parting the Red Sea gesture.
This is me. If it is not this, it is a subtle "Open Sesame" or an overt "I'll be in my Ready Room, Number 1" as I approach. My kids hate it.

But it's my Dad joke that I'm obligated to use.
Old 30 July 2017, 01:09 AM

Baseball

Been about 4 years since I've complained about driving on this board. But I had to take a short drive tonight to pick up something, and I saw three things that annoyed me. Please accept my apologies beforehand.

1. people who don't stop at crosswalks (zebra crossings) despite people wanting to cross. Two pre-teens just 20 minutes ago on a relatively busy road were checking to see if they could cross. I stopped, they stepped into the crosswalk right in front of me. Meanwhile, the car coming the other way, did not even slow down despite people already in the crosswalk. I know this is not a little thing, being illegal and dangerous, but it is being thrown in with the other two.

2. my street has no parking between 11pm and 7am. No issues. During the day there is parking. Up until about 4 years ago, there was only parking on the south side of the street, because the north side had a pedestrian zone (no sidewalk [pavement] for pedestrians here) painted on the side of the road. Now, a sidewalk was put in, so parking is now allowed on both sides. But the road is not that wide, just a two laner. Now it is some times, like on a Saturday night, where it is becoming a challenge to weave the vehicles through this maze of parked vehicles. And it escalates the annoyance when an oncoming car approaches.

3. related to number 2. Some people have taken to preventing the congestion by parking on the sidewalk. That helps no one as the pedestrians on the street now have to walk themselves, strollers (prams), dogs, kids bikes and rollerblades in traffic with big vehicles trying to weave through the maze of other cars.

To be fair, this is perhaps once per week it gets bad. I typically ride my bicycle everywhere and our street has no parking on it at all during winter, so I might be acting a bit petty with number 2 and 3. I won't apologise for being annoyed with number 1.
Old 30 July 2017, 01:51 AM

Goat

I use several zebra crossings most work days, and #1 drives me nuts. A Columbus PD cruiser once blew through the one in front of my office. More seriously, a co-worker almost got hit crossing one, and a day later I saw someone else almost get hit in the same crossing.
Old 30 July 2017, 12:48 PM

Here it's highly illegal not to stop (several points, big fine) if there's any pedestrian or bicycle rider anywhere near the crosswalk but they still blow through. Not everyone but, unfortunately, most drivers.
Old 30 July 2017, 01:24 PM

Drivers in my neighbourhood are pretty bad at checking if the crosswalk is clear before they turn into it but so far they've been pretty good about stopping and waiting when they realise that I'm crossing, even if they're blocking other traffic. The fact that I'm usually deathstaring and waggling a finger at them is probably a factor there.

I'm just waiting for the day that someone tries to drive through the crosswalk and honks at me to get out of the way. Boy oh boy will they get told off.
Old 30 July 2017, 03:11 PM

Whatever the legality of blowing through crosswalks as I used to repeatedly have to tell my son "do you want your last words to be 'I had the right of way'?" Sigh. I don't think I ever quite got through to him that in a fight between a person in a car and a person on foot the car is usually going to win even when the car is most decidedly in the wrong.
Old 30 July 2017, 04:54 PM

Sue, that is called being 'dead right.'

from a Google search for a definition of the term:
Idiom Definitions for 'Dead right'

This means that something or someone is absolutely correct, without doubt.

Old 30 July 2017, 07:47 PM

I don't walk out in front of cars and assume they're going to stop. But sometimes being a careful pedestrian and looking both ways isn't enough.

The co-worker who nearly got hit is a frequent pedestrian and a very cautious one. The car that almost hit her was turning left from a side street onto the street she was crossing. They looked for vehicle traffic but didn't bother to look for people. That's also what happened with the woman I saw almost get hit in the same crosswalk two days later.

I almost got hit once after a car had stopped to let me cross, because the impatient driver behind that car pulled around him and hit the gas, apparently without looking. She slammed on the brakes, I gave her the finger, and she told me it was my fault and I should move my fat ass.

All three examples boil down to drivers assuming they can ignore the possibility of pedestrian traffic. So pretty much the opposite of a pedestrian assuming a car will stop if they walk out in front of it, but the pedestrian is still the one likely to be hurt or die.

Periodically, the City of Columbus cracks down on people jaywalking. I have yet to see them ticket anyone for, or publicize crackdowns on, drivers blasting through marked crosswalks.
Old 30 July 2017, 08:11 PM

I picked up some pretty awful habits as a pedestrian in NYC where the traffic isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I did assume cars were going to stop for me in Toronto and... they often don't. And Detroit/Ann Arbor is about the same. Brussels is closer to NYC in that cars rarely get going fast enough and realize pedestrians are king, but there are an awful lot of streets that don't even permit cars.

The worst is when someone stops and waves you through as if they can control all the traffic, then gets mad and starts honking because you're waiting for the intersection to actually be clear. Sorry, but just because you stopped at the zebra crossing doesn't mean the opposite traffic isn't plowing through.
Old 30 July 2017, 11:55 PM

My neighborhood is full of four way stops. My pedestrian related annoyance is when a car comes up the stop sign after I've already begun crossing the street, stops, yields to vehicular cross traffic, and then proceeds through the intersection apparently oblivious to the fact that I'm crossing the street right in front of them.
Old 31 July 2017, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
The worst is when someone stops and waves you through as if they can control all the traffic, then gets mad and starts honking because you're waiting for the intersection to actually be clear. Sorry, but just because you stopped at the zebra crossing doesn't mean the opposite traffic isn't plowing through.
I get this all the time on my bike. Usually, the person waiting manages to screw up my chance at actually crossing, as I've usually figured out when I can go.

A surprising number of people, when I wave them through (because the opposite lane isn't stopping), they just sit there, then honk, then finally go (usually ruining about three chances for me to cross the damn street) and in one memorable case pull over and yell at me.
Old 31 July 2017, 03:51 AM

I don't drive and walking is my main form of getting around. Sometime to get somewhere you have to assume the drivers is gong to do the right thing or you would never get any where. When walking up to the corner where most of the bus leave from I have to assume that people turning into the side street are going to indicate correctly before you start to cross it. In peak times you can't really wait. But the number of times I have had to jump back onto the footpath because the driver has turned without indicating or indicated as they have made the turn. All the while glaring at you cause you have stepped out in front of their car. Jez, I can't read your stupid mind.

I have also almost been run over on both the footpath and on the pedestrian crossing.

And then you get the people that park on the footpath and completely block it. I was walking home once and came across a car the was completely blocking the footpath. They had a solid wooden gate and the front of the car was flush against it. The back of the car was right to the edge of the footpath. There was no passing lane/bikelane/parking lane, peak hour traffic was passing centimetres from the gutter/curb. There was no way I could get past this car without stepping onto the road and no space on the road to pass. I eventually got a few seconds break in the traffic and moved as fast as I could. I am the furthest thing from a vandal but I was very tempted to key that car.

Last edited by Dasla; 31 July 2017 at 04:04 AM. Reason: errors errors errors
Old 31 July 2017, 03:52 AM

I've encountered similar situations in a busy shopping district in our area in which it's a four-lane road, with two lanes in each direction. (The second lane is there mainly to facilitate turning into store parking lots, but it's not a dedicated turn lane - both lanes are used as normal travel lanes.) Someone, trying to be nice, will stop in their lane and try to wave me out into traffic from a a parking lot exit, forgetting that there's a second, parallel lane of traffic coming up behind them that may or may not wish to extend the same courtesy. Furthermore, anyone coming up behind them in their lane is likely as not to veer around them into the other lane so that they can proceed.

I've often wondered in these cases: if someone were to accept the guidance of the driver waving them in/on, and were subsequently struck by a vehicle, could the driver who did the waving be held legally liable in any way? Traffic laws in Connecticut don't explicitly give right of way; they only state who must yield right of way. Furthermore, every maneuver pretty much has the caveat appended "provided that it is safe to do so." In these instances, I would imagine that an argument could be made that the waving driver was clearly yielding right of way and implicitly stating that it was safe for the other driver, pedestrian, biker, etc., to proceed.