snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 21 November 2017, 01:40 PM

Whalephant

#6 must be Tijuana since his band is the Tijuana Brass.

There's a city in West Virginia named Huntington?
Old 21 November 2017, 02:02 PM

1. What Thanksgiving staple is the last word in the lyrics of The Jeffersons' theme song?a slice of the pie.

3. The Morgan-Keenan system classifies stars using seven different letters. Which letter describes Earth's Sun?I think it is M

4. In 2016, what venerable software product did Microsoft replace with Microsoft Edge?
Internet Explorer

6. . In what city did Herb Alpert attend a bullfight in 1961, first exposing him to the mariachi music that changed his career? Tijuana?
Old 21 November 2017, 02:22 PM

1. What Thanksgiving staple is the last word in the lyrics of The Jeffersons' theme song? Pie! (They finally got their piece of it.)

2. What river valley in central Yorkshire lent its name to the largest breed of terrier? Airedale?

4. In 2016, what venerable software product did Microsoft replace with Microsoft Edge? Guessing Internet Explorer?

5. In 1792, Denmark became the first modern nation--and Mauritania, in 1981, the last--to do what? Abolish slavery?

6. In what city did Herb Alpert attend a bullfight in 1961, first exposing him to the mariachi music that changed his career? Must be Tijuana.
Old 21 November 2017, 02:49 PM

Baseball

1. I can hum the tune, but other than the words "Movin' on up" I have no clue what the lyrics are. Thanksgiving to me means turkey. So that's my answer.

2. Is there a Cairn river? We had a Scottish Cairn terrier growing up. But he was not that big.

3. Only thing I can think of is M, but I think I'm getting that from Star Trek M Class planets.

4. Internet Explorer

5. Codify their flag in parliament

6. Madrid?

7. They are the only ones with boroughs

One I know and six guesses. Sound pretty par for the course.
Old 21 November 2017, 03:33 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What Thanksgiving staple is the last word in the lyrics of The Jeffersons' theme song?
Stuffing? It's been a long time since I've heard "Movin' on Up"
Quote:

2. What river valley in central Yorkshire lent its name to the largest breed of terrier?
Hmmm. Terriers. All the names that come to mind end with "shire". Stafford.
Quote:

3. The Morgan-Keenan system classifies stars using seven different letters. Which letter describes Earth's Sun?
G? Okay, this is frustrating, because I should know this.
Quote:

4. In 2016, what venerable software product did Microsoft replace with Microsoft Edge?
Not a clue. We don't use it at work, therefore I don't know it. However, I don't want to leave the question unanswered, so I'll say Access.
Quote:

5. In 1792, Denmark became the first modern nation--and Mauritania, in 1981, the last--to do what?
Grant women the right to vote.
Quote:

6. In what city did Herb Alpert attend a bullfight in 1961, first exposing him to the mariachi music that changed his career?
Is there a city called Tijuana, or only a Mexican state?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. metropolitan areas, and no others? Chicago, Huntington (West Virginia), Memphis, New York City, Philadelphia, Sioux City, Washington.
I don't think Huntington or Sioux City ever acted as the capitol of the U.S. (nor Chicago or Memphis, but it only takes two to make the answer wrong). It's not an "in this order question". Washington was never the population center of the country. Got me.

I did not do well this week, but hey, I got yachting right last week.

Seaboe
Old 21 November 2017, 06:46 PM

7. I want to say that it was something to do with a river. Has a river dissecting it? No, in Washington the river demarcates the city from VA.

Also, he says metropolitan area, and other cites would have that. Is in exactly two states? No, it does not work for Chicago, and you would have to include Cincinnati, St. Louis, KC, and many other cities.

Hmm, keep thinking...
Old 21 November 2017, 08:31 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
7. I want to say that it was something to do with a river. Has a river dissecting it? No, in Washington the river demarcates the city from VA.

Also, he says metropolitan area, and other cites would have that. Is in exactly two states? No, it does not work for Chicago, and you would have to include Cincinnati, St. Louis, KC, and many other cities.

Hmm, keep thinking...
You might be on the right track.... I only know Huntington (I live an hour drive from there), and it is on a big river (The Ohio River) and a little river (The Big Sandy River). The Ohio separates it from Ohio and the Big Sandy separates it from Kentucky.
Old 22 November 2017, 02:54 PM

Glasses

Morning, that's a good guess, but the "no other" causes problems, since the Columbia separates Portland, OR from WA .

Seaboe
Old 22 November 2017, 04:17 PM

Exactly, the "no other" is key here.
Old 22 November 2017, 05:57 PM

Hmmm,
Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. metropolitan areas, and no others? Chicago, Huntington (West Virginia), Memphis, New York City, Philadelphia, Sioux City, Washington.
he says "metropolitan areas" and not cities. So my guess is metropolitan areas that cover multiple states.

I know the NYC area, includes parts of NJ and Connecticut.
Washington, probably includes MD and Virginia.
Philadelphia probably has parts of NJ and MD.

I don't know the others as well though.
Old 22 November 2017, 06:06 PM

Ahh, three states. Ore more precisely two states in addition to the city's "home" because DC is not a state. For Philly it would be NJ and Delaware, not Maryland. Great thought. But what about Chicago? I'm not sure it includes any state beside IL, let alone two others. Maybe a little Indiana? Wisconsin is kind of far, but maybe the Commerce Department counts it?
Old 22 November 2017, 06:11 PM

Yeah, the Chicago metropolitan area includes Wisconsin and Indiana.
Old 22 November 2017, 06:14 PM

Ponder

Huntington contains parts of WV, Ohio and Kentucky.

They only other thing I could think that is unusual is that there is a really odd bridge. It's sorta of a serious of triangles, the road is the bottom of the base of the triangle and the bridge.
Old 22 November 2017, 07:21 PM

I think that is it then! Includes two additional states, or 3 jurisdictions. (Can't say 3 states because DC is not a state. My guess is that Ken will have a pithy way of wording this distinction- unless the DC metro area officially includes some WV along with VA and MD.)
Old 22 November 2017, 08:18 PM

Kirk, the Philadelphia metro area includes MD, NJ and DE, so three states sounds good.
Old 22 November 2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
3. The Morgan-Keenan system classifies stars using seven different letters. Which letter describes Earth's Sun?
Some chunk of my head is insistently telling me that the answer to this is G.
Old 23 November 2017, 12:34 PM

1. What Thanksgiving staple is the last word in the lyrics of The Jeffersons' theme song? We finally got a piece of the PIE!

2. What river valley in central Yorkshire lent its name to the largest breed of terrier? Skye? I dunno... I just put down the first terrier breed that came to mind. lol

3. The Morgan-Keenan system classifies stars using seven different letters. Which letter describes Earth's Sun? G

4. In 2016, what venerable software product did Microsoft replace with Microsoft Edge? Internet Explorer, but IE is still available in Windows 10... you just have to go looking for it.
Old 28 November 2017, 11:40 AM

Happy Tuesday. Here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What Thanksgiving staple is the last word in the lyrics of The Jeffersons' theme song?
They finally got a piece of the "pie."

2. What river valley in central Yorkshire lent its name to the largest breed of terrier?
Airedale terriers, the hulking megafauna of the terrier world, are named for the dale of the River Aire, where they were first bred.

Our sun is a G-type star, as crossword puzzles and Star Trek have taught me.

RIP Internet Explorer.

5. In 1792, Denmark became the first modern nation--and Mauritania, in 1981, the last--to do what?
Abolish slavery. Better late than never, Mauritania!

6. In what city did Herb Alpert attend a bullfight in 1961, first exposing him to the mariachi music that changed his career?
Alpert later named his band, the Tijuana Brass, in honor of that pivotal afternoon in Tijuana.

The U.S. government defines 388 official "metropolitan statistical areas" that make up urban America. Many cross state lines and cover parts of two different U.S. states, but these are the only seven metro areas that include parts of *three* different states.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What kind of animal is menacing young Brook Watson in the most famous painting of John Singleton Copley?

2. Four Greek letters are written as two-letter words in English. Three of them appear consecutively in the Greek alphabet; which one does not?

3. Herbsaint was developed in 1934 as a substitute--and near-anagram--for what banned substance?

4. In the biblical parable of the prodigal son, the prodigal is forced to take what shockingly menial job?

5. During the Cold War, what was the closest American equivalent to the Soviet facility of Baikonur, in Kazakhstan?

6. In 2015, what wrestler granted his 500th wish for the Make-a-Wish Foundation, more than any other celeb in history?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Ai Weiwei, Amitabh Bachchan, Augusten Burroughs, Daniel Day Lewis, Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Nia Long, King Louis XII, Isamu Noguchi, Christopher Reeve, Andrei Tarkovsky, Charles Van Doren, Lucinda Williams.

Enjoy
Old 28 November 2017, 11:48 AM

Whalephant

#3 must be absinthe.
Old 28 November 2017, 11:59 AM

2. Four Greek letters are written as two-letter words in English. Three of them appear consecutively in the Greek alphabet; which one does not?

Pi

4. In the biblical parable of the prodigal son, the prodigal is forced to take what shockingly menial job?

Swineherding

5. During the Cold War, what was the closest American equivalent to the Soviet facility of Baikonur, in Kazakhstan?

Cape Canaveral