snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 20 November 2017, 03:47 PM

Glasses

Bad grammar and spelling on bulletin boards, from people who are clearly native English speakers (judged by other things in their posts), drive me crazy. On the other hand, I'm not crazy enough to comment on them, unless I'm questioning something that actually makes their post confusing.

Seaboe
Old 20 November 2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
http://radio.garden/live/gosford/todayscountry94one/

I came across this a while ago. I don't know if it has already been posted. Someone sent me the link on FB.

It is a GoogleEarth globe with green dots representing radio stations on the internet. So you can graphically travel the world finding radio stations all around.

I've been touring for over an hour and am currently listening to a station in Hobart Tasmania.

Lots of fun.
I fired it up, and it gave me a station in Australia. I was trying to move around though and it kind of locked up. So I refreshed and this time the random station it opened was in Madisonville KY. Which is an hour from me. And I have a friend that works at that station. I can't even.

ETA: Damn it! I don't have time for this time sink this week. Now I've got a station in France playing YMCA.

Last edited by Gibbie; 20 November 2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: more words.
Old 20 November 2017, 10:48 PM

I've had no contact with one niece for about 20 years. She is getting married soon, and sent me an invitation saying "She hopes for my presents." At least she is being honest, even if unintentionally.
Old 20 November 2017, 11:44 PM

I'm at the age now where the children of old friends and distant relatives are coming out of the woodwork basically making cash grabs. If it's not a graduation announcement it's invitations to a wedding or baby shower. Just no. My rule of thumb is if they wouldn't recognize me if I passed by on the street I don't need to know about their graduation or be invited to anything. IF I am still in contact with their parents I'll find out but random invitations from virtual strangers get tossed. There are a few exceptions to this rule. But not many.
Old 21 November 2017, 01:52 AM

Sue, my wife and I differ on that one. I am with you, but my wife says we should at least give something...because. I told her that if I was going to give out money to a semi-stranger, I would rather give to the homeless guy I pass every day, since I least I see him sometimes.

Last edited by dfresh; 21 November 2017 at 01:53 AM. Reason: adding words to make the sentence make sense
Old 21 November 2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Now, I'm going to have to work that into my conversation.
"You go home and have a nice evening! I'll pull another 4:20 today!"

Old 21 November 2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
"You go home and have a nice evening! I'll pull another 4:20 today!"

"I'm just working for the 4:20!"
Old 21 November 2017, 01:47 PM

Icon07

I have a brother whom I haven't seen or really spoken to since my mother died in 2002. It was his choice to stop contact, and he's never told me what his problem was/is. He has lived in Vegas for years and when my sons graduated I sent him announcements despite his silence. He never responded. I did not expect gifts or money, though a card would have been nice.

During DD's open house in 2009, my sister (who he still speaks to occasionally) tricked my brother and I into speaking to each other on the phone. I didn't know she initiated the call. He, it seems, thought I asked to speak to him. Anyway, I was happy with the contact and sent him one of DD's senior pics. telling him I knew he couldn't have made the open house, but I wanted him to have her picture. He never responded. Again, a card or a note would have been nice.

My kids had no part in whatever problem he had with me. They didn't deserve his neglect.
Old 21 November 2017, 03:12 PM

Glasses

Sylvanz, did they know your brother before your mother's death? I ask because, if they never knew him, how can his absence from their lives now be considered neglect?

And even if they did know him, casually, what responsibility did he have toward them that makes his actions now qualify as neglect?

My mother had one sister and many cousins, most of whom grew up in Michigan and are very close. I grew up in Washington, seeing only three of my cousins regularly, so wasn't part of the crowd of cousins. My immediate family has long since realized that while highways go into Michigan, they don't come out. The family is always glad to see us, but only if we come to them.

Does that mean my part of the family is neglected? No. It just means that part of the family is closer to each other than they are to us.

Seaboe
Old 21 November 2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I'm at the age now where the children of old friends and distant relatives are coming out of the woodwork basically making cash grabs. If it's not a graduation announcement it's invitations to a wedding or baby shower. Just no. My rule of thumb is if they wouldn't recognize me if I passed by on the street I don't need to know about their graduation or be invited to anything. IF I am still in contact with their parents I'll find out but random invitations from virtual strangers get tossed. There are a few exceptions to this rule. But not many.
I've always wondered about graduation announcements.

I never sent any. My mother in fact discouraged me from sending them, as since the relative isn't actually being invited to the graduation exercises, they might interpret it as a "cash grab."

I always wondered what their purpose was, if not just to encourage someone to give a gift.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 21 November 2017, 05:58 PM

I think announcements within the family can mean whatever the family wants. For some it would be just a "hey my kid graduated!!" and a wanting to share this news with those people who care. But if I get an announcement from a kid I can barely place and have to really think about who that young person is I am going to assume (perhaps wrongly) that they're hoping for a cheque.
Old 22 November 2017, 02:28 PM

My brother had not seen my kids regularly, but he know them and up until my mother's death kept in contact with me about them. He seldom came here and I never went there as we couldn't afford it. Perhaps neglect isn't the correct word. They didn't deserve to be ignored by him. His issue was with them, and all I wanted was a nice congratulations to them for graduating. He knew that.

I should not be surprised, however, he abandoned his own kids after his first divorce. They have not seen him in over 30 years. Yes their mother was...something, but again that wasn't their fault. Both of them were cognitively impaired due to some weird genetic similarity between my brother and his ex. I'm hoping that didn't play into his, truly in this instance, neglect.
Old 22 November 2017, 03:07 PM

Glasses

I had an uncle and aunt who had their children taken away (in the very early 60s, I think). The saddest part was that they were not allowed any contact with our family (the uncle was my father's half-brother) afterward. My cousin B subsequently tracked down her family, and through her I've also linked up with one of her surviving sisters (I only know G on facebook, but I've met B in person).

I think I've figured out why Ferdinand is so reluctant to walk on winter mornings when the streets and sidewalks are wet, but it's not currently raining: he can't see where he's going. I noticed last weekend that his eyesight is definitely getting worse (I offered him a treat and he bumped into it trying to figure out where I was holding it out). Poor little boy. This does not, however, explain all of his reluctance to walk in the mornings, just why he doesn't like it on days like today.

Seaboe
Old 23 November 2017, 02:07 PM

Grrr, my last post was nearly incomprehensible. I guess Seaboe managed to interpret it correctly. Yes, losing track of children in the family is sad. I've only seen my brother's kids (actually one of them) once since they were infants. They were with their mother and we had no idea how to find her. She and my sister connected on Facebook and we visited once when they were in the state. My sister had to break contact, though, as my ex sil is...something. The kids aren't capable of using Facebook or the internet, so that's that.
Old 23 November 2017, 02:16 PM

Bonsai Kitten

There's been a stray cat hanging around my house for a week or two, and the general area for a month or two. In the last week I've managed to befriend it and although it's skittish it'll come and rub its head all over me if I sit quietly and call it so it's obviously someone's pet that has gotten lost. This last week it's been in my yard 24/7.

I got the cat carrier out last night so I could take it to the local vet today (I've already checked all the local 'missing pet' groups on Facebook) so we can scan it and see if it has a microchip so we can get it back to its owner and for the first time in a whole week it was nowhere to be found. Every other day it was sitting on the back step of my house every time I walked out my back door but today it had disappeared. Then, just after the vet's office closed at 8pm, it suddenly reappeared again and it was like it had never gone.

I think it got wind of my plan.
Old 27 November 2017, 03:36 PM

Glasses

Well, I got two of my three goals for the weekend done. #1 was raking leaves to fill the yard waste bin so I could clean the freezer. #2 was cleaning the freezer. Both of these were accomplished.

#3 was cleaning the sewing room, which didn't get done--but all the extraneous paper littering the library got dealt with. I now have two bags to take to the local hardware store (which does shredding). I have a shredder of my own, but it takes a long time; taking the stuff to the hardware store will be faster.

#4, which I didn't list, was turning the turkey carcass into turkey stock, and that got done, too. Tonight I will run the dishwasher, tidy the living room and dining rooms (i.e., put things back where they belong), and everything will be ready for the housekeeper on Tuesday. No, I don't clean before the cleaner comes (except the dishes, although experience tells me she'd do the dishes if I left them out), but I do make a point to put things back where they came from. That's actually one of the reasons I hired her, so I would have to tidy the house regularly.

Oh, and I got all my CDs shelved properly again (except for the ones here at work). That means there are no longer random piles of CDs lying around, which makes it easier to tidy up.

Seaboe
Old 28 November 2017, 01:49 PM

https://www.snopes.com/da-vinci-last-words/
The article says that Da Vinci's last words are purported to be “I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have.” based on "a landmark text in art history: Giorgio Vasari’s 1568 collection of biographies, The Lives of the Most Excellent Painters, Sculptors and Architects"
The translation of the passage is:
Quote:
The King [Francis I], who often and lovingly was used to visit him, came to see him: whereupon he, out of reverence, having raised himself to sit upon the bed, giving an account of his illness, and the circumstances of it, showed withal how he had offended God and mankind in not having laboured at his art, as he ought to have done.
(Italics mine)

How can one read that and not think, he's apologizing to his boss for having been sick...
"I'm sorry, boss, as god is my witness, I've been so sick, I haven't been able to get to those projects you wanted me to work on"
Old 28 November 2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
How can one read that and not think, he's apologizing to his boss for having been sick...
One way one could not think that is to read that and think, "Wow, somebody got really flowery when making up Da Vinci's last words."
Old 28 November 2017, 03:05 PM

Glasses

At least Vasari was a contemporary of da Vinci's (both in being an artist and living about the same time), so is making up words that he might actually have said.

As opposed to, say Geoffrey of Monmouth, who lived something like 400 years after the historical Arthur (such as he was), and was not a warrior.

Seaboe
Old 28 November 2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
One way one could not think that is to read that and think, "Wow, somebody got really flowery when making up Da Vinci's last words."
Well, that too, but that's a secondary concern, since it's obviously #fakenews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
At least Vasari was a contemporary of da Vinci's (both in being an artist and living about the same time), so is making up words that he might actually have said.

As opposed to, say Geoffrey of Monmouth, who lived something like 400 years after the historical Arthur (such as he was), and was not a warrior.

Seaboe
I love this board...
From Da Vinci to Arthur in 2 posts...
Closed Thread