snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 16 November 2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Errata--sounds like your new resident had a crappy realtor or did not take the realtor's advice regarding the house and the neighborhood.
I think buying the wrong house, not being able to plan, being computer illiterate in 2017, and not being able to follow simple procedures must all be facets of the same underlying pathology somehow. Sometimes you tell her simple information and later she'll say something that indicates she didn't retain that information at all, and that goes double for any electronic documents (I doubt she even reads them at all), which modern real estate transactions depend heavily on. I'm fairly positive from my interactions with her that her realtor would have gone over all the relevant details, but she doesn't deal with information like a typical adult.
Old 16 November 2017, 10:55 PM

Forgot my phone at home this morning. It was a long day.

And because my husband is who he is, he sent me 6 texts, knowing I did not have my phone.
Old 17 November 2017, 01:22 AM

I really need to get a script filled but I also really need to wash my hair before I go at again and I have a head cold and just want to go back to bed. And knowing my luck my local pharmacist will be out of my medication and I will have to go to another one. It is not a script I can skip.

I may take the chance to discuss if there is an decongestant I can take with my medication.
Old 17 November 2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I really need to get a script filled but I also really need to wash my hair before I go at again and I have a head cold and just want to go back to bed. And knowing my luck my local pharmacist will be out of my medication and I will have to go to another one. It is not a script I can skip.
Well they weren't out but they had returned to me an old script to me the last time I had it filled. I other words instead of having 1 repeat left I had 0. I couldn't get in to see the doctor today, can't see anyone to Monday. Luckily the pharmacist gave me enough to get through till then.

Usually I try to get the script filled a little earlier but like I said I had been unwell.
Old 17 November 2017, 01:40 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Forgot my phone at home this morning. It was a long day.

And because my husband is who he is, he sent me 6 texts, knowing I did not have my phone.
That was me Wednesday.

I got home to 25 texts and about 30 phone calls. All from one person. Who has my office number.

And the worst of it was, there was no emergency. The long haired general just had a question she wanted to ask.
Old 18 November 2017, 09:29 PM

A book I had been on the waiting list at the library for for months finally came in. What I didn't realize is it's written in the present tense. Argh. I think I've ranted about this here before and I haven't changed my mind on it. Back the book goes. Unread.
Old 21 November 2017, 03:42 AM

Mouse

Some of the websites I like, have disappeared into the ether.
Old 21 November 2017, 01:30 PM

My work laptop has 3 USB ports, but 2 of them are more or less worthless, because they're at the back of the laptop and can't be used when it's docked. There are USB ports in the dock, but anything that's plugged in there can, of course, only be used when the machine is docked.

This is obviously bad design, but it wasn't a problem when I first got the laptop, because my mouse and keyboard work off the same transmitter. But I've purchased an ergonomic mouse to help with my shoulder problems, so now I have a second transmitter, and one of them has to be plugged into the dock. The obvious solution would be to put the keyboard transmitter in the dock port, since I only use the keyboard when I'm docked. That didn't work this morning, so right now the keyboard transmitter is in the side dock and the mouse transmitter is in the dock port. It's fine when I'm docked, but when I undock, I'll have to use my old mouse or (shudder) the trackpad.

It's possible I just wasn't patient enough while I was waiting for it to recognize the transmitter and get the device enabled, so I'll try again later. But it wouldn't even be an issue if it weren't for Dell's stupid design.
Old 21 November 2017, 03:05 PM

Glasses

Does your monitor have any ports? Can you get one of those multi-port plug ins?

I know some of my gear won't work plugged into the dock, and other pieces will only work plugged into the dock (versus the monitor). Luckily, I usually only need my keyboard and mouse, both of which I use only at work, and both plug into the dock.

Seaboe
Old 21 November 2017, 03:23 PM

The monitors have no ports. The issue re:off-dock usage isn't (just) relevant at home: I only occasionally WFH, but I frequently attend meetings in the office during which I need the laptop for one reason or another.
Old 21 November 2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Try a french press. They are inexpensive, easy to clean and allow for higher temperatures when brewing coffee.
This is an old post but just wanted to thank Beachlife for this suggestion which I very belatedly followed. Got a French press and the coffee definitely tastes better and is actually really hot as opposed to the way my coffee was tasting from the coffeemaker.
Old 21 November 2017, 06:51 PM

Glad it helped, I own three of them at the moment. Its especially nice when I have people over, I can make coffee rapidly since my kettle will fill up two presses in one go.
Old 21 November 2017, 07:45 PM

Paying for an app and it doesn't work like you expected. Oh well, at least it was only $0.99.
Old 21 November 2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I have not heard that song in a dog's age. I remember thinking that 'afternoon delight' meant getting together for a picnic. I was a kid at the time.
Also, wondering why they'd be firing off skyrockets in the daytime -- seems like a waste.
Old 22 November 2017, 08:58 PM

John Cleese will be appearing at UC Davis following a screening of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I'd really like to go but it's on a Wednesday night and Davis isn't that close to here so I'd have to take time off of work to go.
Old 23 November 2017, 01:27 AM

Mouse

Pinterest's latest upgrade or whatever makes it so I have a damn difficult time trying to create pins for stuff I like.
Old 23 November 2017, 11:06 AM

I broke a nail trying to break of a piece of chocolate today. It has broken about half way down the nail and has torn the skin under the nail.

I haven't cut my nails on my right hand for a while cause I inherited my Mum's super strong nails. Which is mostly good. But it does mean I can't use normal nail scissors or even normal nail clippers. I have to use the big nail clippers And at the moment I can't find them.

I found a set in a manicure kit someone had given me, but they are in some stupid plastic case the doesn't look like it can be removed, it doesn't look like it is meant to be removed and I certainly haven't been able to. It means you can't get the whole nail in at once, especially on the thumb nails. I managed to cut them, eventually, but it wasn't easy. What the nfbsk has happened to my clippers and what nfbsk is the point of the plastic case.
Old 23 November 2017, 01:46 PM

If it is what I think, the case is to catch the clippings so they don't fly off everywhere.
Old 23 November 2017, 11:00 PM

Brutal Legend was free on Steam a few days ago, so I picked it up. Turns out, my laptop doesn't seem to like the game too much: there's a lag that makes it pretty much unplayable. Oh well.
Old 26 November 2017, 03:14 AM

I was making chicken tetrazzini to use up some leftover chicken (I always make myself a roasted chicken on Thanksgiving since I don't have any sort of gathering for the holiday), and I discovered I didn't have any parmesan cheese. That's one of those things I always take for granted that I have on hand, so I didn't think to pick some up when I was shopping earlier today. So I had to make a special trip to Trader Joe's to get some. That's FWP #1.

Since I was going there anyway, I figured I'd also pick up the things I need for Anthony Bourdain's meat loaf recipe, as I'd decided I wanted to try making it after I'd already been to the store. I was planning on going shopping tomorrow to pick up the ingredients, but like I said since I was already going to the store anyway... One of the things his version of meat loaf calls for is ground veal. I figured I'd look for it at TJ's first, but if they didn't have it I knew I could get some from the butcher shop in the same shopping center. TJ's didn't have it, so I walked over to the butcher shop. I then discovered that they close at 6:00, and it was now 6:10. So I have to make a trip back there tomorrow to get the veal anyway.