snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 23 November 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
That happened to me when I first got my Android phone. I don't think that aspect of it is very user-friendly. With flip phones I could press on physical buttons or "flip open = answer call, close = hang up" but it took me a while to get the hang of my new phone.
ha ha ha. Me too. Missed a couple of calls before I saw someone else answer their phone.
Old 23 November 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
That happened to me when I first got my Android phone. I don't think that aspect of it is very user-friendly.
Yes, it does seem to break several of the user-interface design "rules", such as behaving as an analogue of the physical button it represents, behaving the way the user expects, and behaving consistently in the same way as every other button on a touch interface.

Maybe they thought answering a call was a bit like liking somebody on Tinder (rather than, say, answering a telephone call - I mean who does that these days?) and everybody was already used to swiping right for that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Richard, have you tried performing a hard reset on your phone?
I hadn't, but I just did and it seems to have worked. Thanks.
Old 23 November 2017, 10:34 PM

No problem. With smartphones especially, a hard reset will usually clear up any issues.

I think the reason that you have to swipe rather than just push to hang up the phone is because otherwise it makes accidentally disconnecting a call too easy. Swiping the screen isn't something you're as likely to do by accident unless you spill jam on it or something.
Old 23 November 2017, 10:42 PM

Well, except that (when it's working) you only need to touch the button to hang up - it's answering it when you need to swipe! Maybe you'd end up answering it while trying to get it out of your pocket, or whatever, though.
Old 23 November 2017, 11:30 PM

If the green "button" also showed an arrow, it might be easier for users to realize you're supposed to swipe to answer the call.
Old 23 November 2017, 11:38 PM

Yeah, or it would answer the call while in your pocket--it wouldn't even require trying to get it out. The equivalent of butt dialing. The screen wakes up for a call, so if it required only a touch, a pocket or bag would deliver that pretty frequently.

But I've had phones that made it obvious how to swipe to answer, and ones that I had to try several times before figuring it out.

The obvious ones had a sort of track that would appear, or text that would appear, indicating how to swipe.

But yeah, hanging up is usually just a tap on the red button.
Old 23 November 2017, 11:50 PM

Cell Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
When I first got this phone, I missed two or three calls because I thought that simply touching the green button should answer them, whereas you have to hold it and swipe right (why?).
I believe it's so you don't answer by mistake when you're fumbling to get your phone out of your pocket or whatever. It's a lot harder to accidentally swipe something right than to simply accidentally touch something.

ETA: Spanked numerous times. I hit refresh before posting, but I didn't notice that another page had appeared since I first opened this thread.
Old 24 November 2017, 06:23 AM

So I went along to my job network provider meeting this afternoon ... turned up 5 minutes early, brought the right paperwork all correctly filled out, made sure all my details went onto the sign-in sheet .... aaaaaaaaaand four hours later my payments have already been suspended for 'missing' an appointment.

Bonus LTTAM: I found out 10 minutes after they closed for the week so I won't be able to do anything about this mess for another three days.
Old 24 November 2017, 09:41 AM

They certainly need to get their act together, Gutter Monkey! Maybe they can just hire you to do that? It would look good in the statistics, too.
Old 24 November 2017, 09:46 AM

Nooooooo, if I got a job there then I'd have to deal with people like me all day long.