snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 17 November 2017, 04:31 AM

Default Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota

Keystone Pipeline leaks 210,000 gallons of oil in South Dakota

Quote:
"It is a below-ground pipeline but some oil has surfaced above ground to the grass," Walsh said. "It will be a few days until they can excavate and get in borings to see if there is groundwater contamination."
Old 17 November 2017, 06:09 AM

Coincidentally, I think it's Nebraska that's about to vote on whether or not to allow a Keystone Pipeline extension into their state. Wonder how this will affect that vote.
Old 17 November 2017, 01:11 PM

Yeah, the oil company may be annoyed about the timing. It's harder to say 'don't worry, our lines won't leak!' when your lines are freshly in the news for leaking.

Of course, if the oil's in the groundwater, a number of people may be rather more than annoyed about that --
Old 18 November 2017, 02:16 AM

Mouse

I wonder how those poor Standing Rock protestors are taking it.

I also wonder if there's ever any satisfaction is being able to go, "I told you so."
Old 20 November 2017, 10:01 AM

Reading internet comments from supporters of the pipeline seemed to mainly consist of "Who Cares, we don't live there/It's only North Dakota"
Old 20 November 2017, 03:02 PM

Reminds me somewhat of a conversation I once had with a family member who's very much in favor of continued human population growth, but didn't want housing built on a then-open field in his immediate neighborhood.

He said, more or less, 'They should build it somewhere that nobody cares about!' and I said, more or less, 'There's no such place on the planet.'
Old 20 November 2017, 05:38 PM

A Facebook friend is going on about how it wasn't the new pipeline that leaked, but an older one, so it is irrelevant. Um...no, it shows that pipelines leak, even ones built and owned by this company.
Old 20 November 2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Coincidentally, I think it's Nebraska that's about to vote on whether or not to allow a Keystone Pipeline extension into their state. Wonder how this will affect that vote.
It didn't.

Nebraska panel approves alternative Keystone XL route

~Psihala
Old 20 November 2017, 07:55 PM

From the article Psihala just linked:

Quote:
Opponents are expected to appeal the Nebraska commission's decision in a state district court, and the case is likely to end up before the Nebraska Supreme Court. The commission was forbidden by law from considering a recent oil spill in South Dakota on the existing Keystone pipeline in its decision.
Old 20 November 2017, 08:04 PM

Maybe this is a stupid question. Both my ice-maker and washing machine have hoses which automatically cut of the flow if a leak occurs. Why can't a pipeline do something similar?

Maybe this is happening, but 210,000 is the number of gallons that spills out before these measures kick in.
Old 20 November 2017, 08:52 PM

Anti-leak technology is expensive. It's much cheaper to just let the leaks happen and fob the costs off to the taxpayers.

No, actually, I haven't got the slightest idea whether they have any sort of auto-shutoff tech for pipelines, but given the amount of oil release any time a leak happens I'm guessing there isn't or it's not being used.
Old 20 November 2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Maybe this is a stupid question. Both my ice-maker and washing machine have hoses which automatically cut of the flow if a leak occurs. Why can't a pipeline do something similar?
I honestly have no idea how the auto shutoff in those devices works, but I'm going to take a guess and guess that they rely on a drop in pressure to detect when there's a leak. Are oil pipelines pressurized, or are they just gravity fed?
Old 20 November 2017, 09:51 PM

There may well be automatic shutoffs (heck there probably are). The problem is that all the oil between shutoffs will leak out even if the shutoffs work properly.

210,000 gallons of liquid in a 1 foot diameter pipe is 36,000 linear feet of pipe (about 6.8 miles). So if the cutoffs are 7 miles apart ...

Or, if it is a 4 foot diameter pipe, that's only a half mile of pipe.
Old 20 November 2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I honestly have no idea how the auto shutoff in those devices works, but I'm going to take a guess and guess that they rely on a drop in pressure to detect when there's a leak. Are oil pipelines pressurized, or are they just gravity fed?
Well, since the pipe runs pretty much north to the south then gravity should be enough.

(Yes, basically all pipelines are pressurized.)
Old 21 November 2017, 03:33 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Reading internet comments from supporters of the pipeline seemed to mainly consist of "Who Cares, we don't live there/It's only North Dakota"
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Reminds me somewhat of a conversation I once had with a family member who's very much in favor of continued human population growth, but didn't want housing built on a then-open field in his immediate neighborhood.

He said, more or less, 'They should build it somewhere that nobody cares about!' and I said, more or less, 'There's no such place on the planet.'
In fairness, that is one of the tenets of the Right. In addition to “I’ve got mine, get yours,” “Women, minorities, and anyone making less than six figures, is well and truly NFBSKed,” they also believe, “It doesn’t affect me or anyone I care about, so why should I care?”
Old 23 November 2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
In fairness, that is one of the tenets of the Right. In addition to “I’ve got mine, get yours,” “Women, minorities, and anyone making less than six figures, is well and truly NFBSKed,” they also believe, “It doesn’t affect me or anyone I care about, so why should I care?”
And most of them will claim to be Christian.