snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 25 October 2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I've also been avoiding the news because I can't handle it. I feel like I'm neglecting my civic duty by not staying informed, but I try to tell myself I'm still involved. I'm still donating my time and money (and now blood--just gave my second pint!) to various causes I care about. I just need to conserve my energy, and following the news takes it out of me.
I usually watch/listen to local news, but I've backed off even that: it just gets so repetitious, and because this is the DC area, most of what's reported is national news. I've grown numb to what Dear Leader is up to.
Old 25 October 2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I've grown numb to what Dear Leader is up to.
Problem is: they're kind of counting on that.

Protect yourself as necessary. If you can't read the news, then don't read the news. Try to do whatever you can do, though.
Old 26 October 2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Problem is: they're kind of counting on that.
I know, that's why I feel bad about it! I can't completely escape the news; the big stories are all over social media and are topics of conversation among my friends. Still, it's important that folks stay informed by reading entire articles by actual journalists, not just skimming headlines and listening to gossip. But every detail of these stories makes them worse!
Old 26 October 2017, 03:54 AM

Maybe set aside a specific lump of time each week to read news on serious sites, and then forgive yourself for ignoring news the rest of the week? Would that help any?

(I suspect I'm not the best to give advice on this. I've been spending way too much time rather compulsively checking the news.)
Old 26 October 2017, 02:14 PM

D'oh!

I do listen to a very informative local talk radio show (and listen to the station's news breaks) and I tune into local news before I go to bed. DH likes to watch One America News, but IMO cable news is just too repetitious.
Two of my favorite magazines are The Atlantic and Reason. I still get to a point where I just want to tune out though.

THISHTTM: Always make sure you have enough bags when you walk Pearl!! You know you will need them!

Dawn--I'll return after these messages--Storm
Old 26 October 2017, 03:31 PM

Glasses

What bothers me about the news situation are all the pundits saying "this is the end, he's going down," except nothing happens.

I ration my news, in part because of the current situation, and in part because my father was a news junky and I just plain got sick of it.

Seaboe
Old 27 October 2017, 01:27 AM

Mouse

I mostly stick to News Comedy shows. Though they're supposed to be comedic, they have the best journalism around; they're providing actual analysis rather than repeating what Talking Head A said to Talking Head B, over and over. It does no good to say "President Trump proposed X" without mentioning not only what X is, but the actual effects it would have on, y'know, people. It does no good to talk about how "Trump is X" without providing any analysis as to the larger implications behind Trump's behavior.

Plus, News Comedy Shows are more likely to have dick jokes. Dick jokes go a long way in educating and enlightening. They tend to make some many things go down easier, including information.

The fishslap is for obvious reasons.
Old 27 October 2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Dick jokes go a long way in educating and enlightening. They tend to make some many things go down easier, including information.

They do put things in perspective don't they?
Old 27 October 2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
They do put things in perspective don't they?
As long as it's no farther than 12 inches away....

Old 27 October 2017, 07:34 PM

Go a different direction because the road is under construction.
Old 31 October 2017, 07:59 PM

Try not to get too excited about the charges coming out of Washington. I've thought so many times that "this is it" and it wasn't that I don't want to get my hopes up that this time 45 is going down for the count. But I can't help hoping....
Old 01 November 2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Try not to get too excited about the charges coming out of Washington. I've thought so many times that "this is it" and it wasn't that I don't want to get my hopes up that this time 45 is going down for the count. But I can't help hoping....
John Oliver has a great running gag on his show Last Week Tonight every time he catches 45 doing something impeachable

... and it always ends with Oliver going "No no wait, sorry everyone, it won't actually make any difference, we didn't get him"
Old 01 November 2017, 01:30 PM

D'oh!

Dawn you should know better than to go anywhere near the intersection of Major County Road and Major State Highway, what with all the construction going on. And during rush hour! What were you thinking???
Old 10 November 2017, 04:27 PM

For the elevator to work, someone needs to push a button. The four of us hung out in the elevator having a nice chat for several minutes before one guy said it was a slow elevator, and we realized that we all just assumed someone else had pushed the button to go to another floor.