snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 11 January 2018, 02:34 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Agreed. I prioritize **not** electing Arpaio over risking him to increase the chances of a Democratic general election victory.
On board with everyone else. I want there to be plenty of obstacles between Sherriff Joe and the Senate. I donít want him to have any shot at being in a position of power.
Old 11 January 2018, 05:02 AM

A Facebook friend posted that Apario might be a good "shill" to get a Democrat of Independent candidate elected. I pointed out that many people said that about Trump. She replied that it worked in Alabama. I replied, "BARELY." Not ready to take the chance.
Old 11 January 2018, 05:59 AM

It's really much worse than barely. A rather big majority of white men and women voted for the "shill". So, no, it didn't really work at all.
Old 11 January 2018, 07:04 PM

So Arpaio was interviewed on NPR's Morning Edition this morning. Needless to say the amount of eye rolling he induced was massive.

Quote:
Arpaio told NPR that DACA recipients should be sent back in this controversial way:
"They can do a lot of good in those countries. They have education here and help out and be good ambassadors from the United States to their country. That's just my idea."
He likened it to the Peace Corps and indicated he would be open to their returning later to the United States legally.
Except, you know, people typically volunteer to join the Peace Corps.

Quote:
"Just make sure you get the right people to come into our country," he contended, noting that his parents came from Italy.
Someone should tell Mr. Arpaio that at the turn of the 20th century, many Americans thought Italians weren't the "right people".
Old 11 January 2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I've been very shy of that technique since the last presidential election.
Sigh. Yeah, I was one of the many who got complacent when Trump won the Republican nod. And with each new thing that then came out about him in the lead up to the election I got more complacent .
Old 11 January 2018, 08:22 PM

The thing that gets me there (digressing further) is, statistically speaking, there have to be a fair number of people who voted for Obama -- many of them twice! -- who then voted for Trump.

Who the NFBSK are those people? WHY? I'll never understand it.
Old 11 January 2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Who the NFBSK are those people?
Can't say I understand it either, but I've heard a lot of them are just plain anti-establishment types who just want somebody, anybody different than the usual politician type.
Old 11 January 2018, 10:04 PM

Yeah, the ones who voted for Trump whose second (or first) choice would have been Bernie Sanders.. WTF?

And of course, there was a large contingent of "do anything to stop Hillary Clinton," for reasons I've never fully understood.

Some of this I can sort of grasp intellectually, but in the gut....no.
Old 11 January 2018, 10:11 PM

There was a perfect storm of Russian fake news on top of thirty years worth of Republican lies about Hillary combined with a lot of Bernie supports being anti-establishment rather than actually progressive. Plus a huge amount of sexism.
Old 11 January 2018, 10:15 PM

And there seems to be a certain contingent of voters who just vote for whichever party didn't hold the presidency last term for no reason other than some vague notion that "we need a change".
Old 12 January 2018, 12:46 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Arizona fact 5: Arizona has one of the best preserved and most easily accessed meteor impact craters in the world. Many citizens are able to differentiate it from their posterior and thus won't vote for Arpaio.
We visited it in 2016! It's very impressive with an excellent museum.

Arizona fact #6: We have the Pima Air and Space Museum. And the Boneyard. And lots of cliff dwellings.

ETA: McCain's area dips down into Tucson. I don't know if Arpaio would do well here.
Old 12 January 2018, 05:07 AM

McCain's "area" goes from Yuma to Douglas to Page to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
Old 13 January 2018, 02:27 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
And there seems to be a certain contingent of voters who just vote for whichever party didn't hold the presidency last term for no reason other than some vague notion that "we need a change".
I wondered if a chunk of Trump's voters were 4chan-like trolls who voted for Trump because his campaign amused them, so they voted for Trump so the show would continue, not knowing that as president, he would have a considerable amount of power that he could use to destroy or ruin the lives of anyone he deems deserving. The lines between reality and entertainment became so blurred in 2016 that I wonder how many voters were really capable of recognizing that this would have lasting effects, unlike, say, winning America's Got Talent.