snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 27 January 2015, 10:06 PM

Got my ticket for Weird Al in August. 6th row center!
Old 27 January 2015, 10:08 PM

Ikea is going to build a store in Columbus!
Old 31 January 2015, 01:57 PM

There was a candy buffet at my gig tonight!

Old 02 February 2015, 01:54 PM

Cheer

DH is using the e-cig I bought for him!
Old 02 February 2015, 08:26 PM

The last car I ever owned was a 2001 Plymouth Neon - and it was the cheapest model they made, with power nothing, an AM/FM radio, cloth seats, and a wicked blind spot over your right shoulder. The car was given to me after it's previous owner, my uncle, passed away in 2004. After I called off my engagement in 2006 I passed the car on to my brother, since I had no where to keep it. Today I spoke with my mother who mentioned in passing that she's now driving my faithful green car, 200,000-odd miles later, and she mentioned that it's likely going to be my oldest niece's first ride in a year or two. Feels good to know it got some real good use instead of sitting outside of my various apartments, rarely used, for the last decade.
Old 03 February 2015, 01:56 AM

As I am undergoing the torturously dreary task of reading/studying/curing any incipient insomnia with one of my course textbooks - the IFSTA Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement, 7th Edition (exactly as engrossing as it sounds) - I happened upon this nice little bit of understatement, which has brightened the end of my day:

"Occupants who are in a position to need a fire extinguisher are usually under stress and in a hurry..."

Perhaps just a tad.
Old 03 February 2015, 03:13 PM

Icon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
As I am undergoing the torturously dreary task of reading/studying/curing any incipient insomnia with one of my course textbooks - the IFSTA Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement, 7th Edition (exactly as engrossing as it sounds) - I happened upon this nice little bit of understatement, which has brightened the end of my day:

"Occupants who are in a position to need a fire extinguisher are usually under stress and in a hurry..."

Perhaps just a tad.

YA THINK??
Old 03 February 2015, 03:22 PM

I just found out that a new Harper Lee novel is being published, so that definitely goes on this list.
Old 03 February 2015, 03:29 PM

Yeah first one since 1960.

What makes me happy: The new bowl I got for Flanders works! I've already ordered another one.
Old 03 February 2015, 06:18 PM

Glasses

Grape jelly.

Seaboe
Old 03 February 2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post

Perhaps just a tad.
Reminds me of a church architecture history book I once read. Apparently in the early midaeval period, some churches in Italy had what was called a "Holy Ghost Hole"; on Pentecost Sunday they would lower a carved & gilded wooden dove on a string through it, and also drop lighted tapers down onto the congregation. The book went on to say, "Few churches with this feature have survived, and the custom is no longer followed." I wonder why?
Old 03 February 2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
Reminds me of a church architecture history book I once read. Apparently in the early midaeval period, some churches in Italy had what was called a "Holy Ghost Hole"; on Pentecost Sunday they would lower a carved & gilded wooden dove on a string through it, and also drop lighted tapers down onto the congregation. The book went on to say, "Few churches with this feature have survived, and the custom is no longer followed." I wonder why?
I think it would, in this context, be completely appropriate to say, "Jesus Christ!"
Old 06 February 2015, 02:45 PM

There's a pair of Painted Buntings in the feeder outside my bedroom window, but they're skittish and fly off every time I try to get a picture.
Old 06 February 2015, 02:59 PM

I just looked up Painted Buntings.

By gar they're cute!
Old 06 February 2015, 06:01 PM

A couple of days ago, I was waiting in line at a grocery store checkout.

The woman in front of me, who appeared quite elderly, was having trouble with the checkout process. She'd put in a card that needed a PIN, had not put in the pin, and was having trouble hearing the clerk, who was trying to explain this to her.

A man in front of her (who may or may not have been with her to start with, I couldn't tell) was able to get her to understand that she needed to put in a pin. She very slowly got her card back out of her handbag, swiped it through again, and slowly and with difficulty, punching very hard at the machine and I think sometimes more than once at the same number, put in a number. The system said it was the wrong number and rejected it.

Another store person, maybe a manager, realized there was a difficulty and came over to consult. She asked the checkout clerk what kind of card, and was told it was a benefits card, and did need a pin.

The man in front of the woman having trouble told her he would help her try again. She again dug her card back out of her handbag; he swiped it for her and gave it back to her; she told him her pin; he entered the number; and this time it was accepted.

None of that is what makes me happy. What makes me happy is that, all the way through this lengthly process, everyone was calm and polite: the checkout clerk, the helpful man, the probable manager, everybody waiting in line, and the woman who was having problems. Not even a rolled eye in the batch. Three cheers for civility!
Old 06 February 2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twankydillo View Post
I just looked up Painted Buntings.

By gar they're cute!
They live up to their name, don't they?
Old 09 February 2015, 09:51 PM

I got a job offer this weekend! And it's a pretty good one. I don't graduate until May, but it'll be nice to know where I'm going.
Old 10 February 2015, 02:03 PM

Glasses

Congratulations, Keket.

A friend announced her engagement. The mind boggles that she's old enough to get married, but well, you know, time does pass.

Seaboe
Old 10 February 2015, 08:35 PM

Smallest son and I saw a kingfisher by the river today.
Old 11 February 2015, 12:15 AM

Mouse

I got and deposited my check today. In about a week, I'll have my debit card. Part of me is hopping around, thinking of all the stuff I can buy, while the other is all somber, going, "This money won't last forever." Don't know which part will win the fight, but it's so nice to have money again.
Closed Thread