snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 13 April 2015, 01:33 PM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
Modern technology that makes it possible for me to pause a show--especially one with no commercials ("Game of Thrones") when I have to do something that can't wait, such as letting an incontinent Ebil Greyhound outside to go potty.
Magdalene, at first I read that as incompetent Ebil Greyhound.
Old 13 April 2015, 03:03 PM

Sorry for the double post.

Having a back door, with a screen door leading to a postage stamp-sized patio, that I can open for fresh air.
Old 14 April 2015, 09:54 PM

Being unemployed has some advantages. From Sunday through Monday, I marinated two chicken breasts in World Harbors Honey Dijon marinade. On Monday night, I baked the chicken breasts and made a side of rice pilaf and a salad of mesclun, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, dried cranberries, almond slivers and crutons with balsamic dressing. My wife actually liked all of it, and she usually doesn't do anything with mustard or vegetables.

It's a shame that we don't usually eat complete meals like that, but hey, I have nothing else to do I had some time. While my wife likes to cook, she doesn't like to do it small, so it's either a 4 course banquet from scratch or it's nothing, and since she works full time, 4 course banquets obviously not an option.
Old 15 April 2015, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Magdalene, at first I read that as incompetent Ebil Greyhound.
So the greyhound is ebil, just not very good at it. I see a cartoon in this.
Old 15 April 2015, 07:06 AM

I managed to get my taxes done, at the eleventh hour, with surprisingly little difficulty/stress/hassle.

I was putting it off because my employer never sent my W-2, so I had to go to HR, who said I could get another one if I filled out this form, but then it turned out it was too late to get another copy without paying a fee, which I would have done, except they didn't notify me in time to send in the revised paperwork and a check and still get it back in time to do my taxes. They sent me an informal printout of all the relevant amounts, but it didn't have the employer tax ID number, so I had to hunt down someone who had that information (I ended up getting it from a co-worker who had his W-2 handy).

I was also anxious because, as a student with no income, I hadn't filed taxes in a couple years, and the last time I'd filed taxes I found out I'd been a victim of identity theft when I didn't get my refund. Apparently the person who stole my SSN owed child support. Anyway, I eventually got that money, and I got a special ID number from the IRS so they would know it was me this time, but I was still nervous about whether it would all go through. It did, and so far it looks like I'm getting a much-needed refund. Whee! Adulting level 2 status achieved.
Old 15 April 2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
I was putting it off because my employer never sent my W-2, so I had to go to HR, who said I could get another one if I filled out this form, but then it turned out it was too late to get another copy without paying a fee. . .
Where do they get off charging you a fee when they didn't send you a W-2? Did they claim they mailed it and it was lost?
Old 16 April 2015, 03:17 PM

Glasses

My custom book shelves should be in place by the weekend. Of course, now I have to convince my friends and relatives to help me empty my storage unit so I can fill the shelves, but that's a minor cloud on my happy horizon.

Seaboe
Old 17 April 2015, 04:35 PM

Cheer

The water pump at the dog park is back on! I can put the water bottle I use during the winter in storage til November.
Old 18 April 2015, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Where do they get off charging you a fee when they didn't send you a W-2? Did they claim they mailed it and it was lost?
Apparently I had to notify them of their failure to send my W-2 by February 28th. Silly me; I thought it was their responsibility to get it to me, not my responsibility to oversee their job. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just lost in the mail, as none of the people in my job class (one-year fellowship) got theirs either. I think the HR person who told me to pre-date the request thought she was helping me avoid the fee, but she was wrong about that being sufficient to get around the rule, so she ended up kind of screwing me over.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with myself for taking charge of the situation; I handled the correspondence with her on behalf of all the people in my job class and found someone who had the EIN, so we all avoided trouble with the IRS. I might even have a glass of wine and upgrade my adulting status to Level 3, now that I think about it.
Old 18 April 2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Apparently I had to notify them of their failure to send my W-2 by February 28th. Silly me; I thought it was their responsibility to get it to me, not my responsibility to oversee their job.
I'm pretty sure the law simply requires the W2s to be postmarked by a certain date. It doesn't require the employer to obtain a return receipt or a signature on delivery. So they genuinely don't have any way to know you didn't get it. And the 2/28 deadline may be as much for your protection as theirs, to make sure they can issue it and get it to you in time for you to file.

Assuming, of course, that they mailed it at all. It is an interesting coincidence that none of the fellowship people got one. I'd be suspicious, too.

Congratulations on the successful adulting, though!
Old 20 April 2015, 03:11 PM

Glasses

Even though I paid my taxes with time to spare (and have already received my refund), one thing that makes me happy is that I can print my W-2 any time I like, once it's been uploaded to the system. Especially after reading about Esprise Me's adventures.

Seaboe
Old 20 April 2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I'm pretty sure the law simply requires the W2s to be postmarked by a certain date. It doesn't require the employer to obtain a return receipt or a signature on delivery. So they genuinely don't have any way to know you didn't get it.
Yup. Unless they've changed this since I last had employees; but the instructions then were just that the employer needed to send the employee's copies to the employee's last known address. If the employee had moved on and not sent the employer a forwarding address, a requirement that the employer obtain a signature or return receipt would be a major problem.

If you're still working there, of course, that possibility's not an issue. But unless your employer requires everyone who still works there to reply to their W2, which would be a large chunk of extra work for both employer and employees, I don't see how they're to know whether you got it or not.

ETA: Agreeing that if they actually hadn't sent it, that is their problem; and they should certainly know whether, and when, they sent it; as well as to what address they sent it.
Old 20 April 2015, 04:13 PM

We traveled to a family' friend's baby shower this weekend and had a great time, seeing some old friends we hadn't seen in some time and meeting some other cool people. Afterwards we drove a bit further and spent some time (chlly) time on a Lake Erie beach watching the water, and later we met two of my brothers for a nice dinner. We saw beautiful scenery and lovely old homes, and stayed in a really nice (and extremely affordable) guest flat.
Old 20 April 2015, 05:15 PM

Cheer

The corner diner just up the road from my house is now open on Sundays!
Old 23 April 2015, 05:43 AM

One of my teammates for our final project thanked me for all of the work I did. The funny thing is, I thought I was being lazy.
Old 23 April 2015, 05:45 AM

I had a job interview today that went fairly well.
Old 23 April 2015, 05:59 AM

I realized that the reason I hadn't gotten a reply to the email I sent to a former boss is because I sent it to his old email address. I resent it to the correct address, and he let me know that he's calling a colleague to recommend me for the job I just applied for.

I'm super hopeful about getting this job, and also second guessing everything, so it's great to have him in my corner, and to know he wasn't inexplicably snubbing me.
Old 23 April 2015, 01:24 PM

Reading

I took a job cowriting a sort of as-told-to book because (A) at the time my mom was dying and I needed a distraction, (B) we were planning on moving and the money would help, and (C) the idea for the book was very intriguing. That was about a year ago, and yesterday I finished the book.

Brad "and no, I can't tell you, I signed an NDA" from Georgia
Old 23 April 2015, 03:09 PM

Glasses

Can you at least tell us whether the book was as intriguing as the idea was?

Seaboe
Old 23 April 2015, 05:58 PM

During my bus ride to work, we made a turn and the sun briefly shone directly into the bus driver's eyes. She raised her hand to shield them and said "Bright light! Bright light!" (note: this was an allusion to the film Gremlins)

Today is Take Your Child to Work Day, and I'm enjoying meeting my co-workers' kids.

The SVP of IT for my business unit of Major Corporation likes to have all of us wear the same color when we attend the All Associate meeting for the whole corporation. This year, she has asked us to wear blue. This makes me happy because last year she asked us to wear white, and I hate wearing white. I like blue.
Closed Thread