snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 30 June 2013, 06:07 PM

Cheer Little things that make you happy

Continued from here.

Backstory: Several weeks ago, the laundry room in my apartment building was trashed, resulting in the removal of the two washers and dryers.(One of the dryers didn't work at all, and the other banged and squealed so loudly that I thought it would die any minute.) A big "CLOSED" sign was screwed into the door(which is still there)and it was locked. A couple weeks later, we were given *one* new washer and *one* dryer, for 20-some apartments. At least we didn't have to go to the laundromat or wash clothes by hand.

Fast forward to today: I just went down to the laundry room, and we have an additional washer and dryer--WOOHOO!

Small favors, yo...
Old 01 July 2013, 07:18 AM

As of 11PM, technically still June, I am completely moved out of the apartment I've been in for over a decade. I left the landlord the keys and a check to help with maintenance. That's one weight off my shoulders.

I was planning on having to pay for next month, due to short notice, but someone offered to sublet the next month last minute. The upside of that is saving a month's rent, but the downside is I hadn't planned on having to be out of there so soon and had to scramble. I had planned to pack, junk, sort, and clean up the remaining little stuff that I didn't need movers for over a couple of weeks. Instead I had a very stressful weekend, but it feels very good to be done with that aspect of it. I'm still living out of boxes, but I can handle that gradually, unlike moving out which was a hard deadline.
Old 01 July 2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
(One of the dryers didn't work at all, and the other banged and squealed so loudly that I thought it would die any minute.)
Hey, they must have moved it to my building! The laundry room is directly on the other side of my living room wall, and any time someone uses the third washer I can hear it Chu-thunk-thunk-thunking the whole time. Despite the occasional ruckus I love living here though since it's just me, the laundry room, and the maintenance room on that part of the building. No one to complain if I shower or watch TV late at night!
Old 02 July 2013, 11:20 PM

Minecraft has added horses that you can tame and ride, so you can cover longer distances without wearing yourself out.

And mules which you can use as pack animals.
Old 02 July 2013, 11:25 PM

I'm watching episodes of the series Embarrassing Bodies online. I'm so happy I don't have festering armpit ulcers, chronic boob pain or a gaping surgical wound in my bumcrack.

It's the little things that make you glad to be alive, really.
Old 03 July 2013, 12:25 AM

I am at a weight I haven't been in, say, 5 years. And if I lose .3 of a pound I will be at a weight I haven't been in decades.
It's a mental block number but I think I can beat it this time -early this morning I was actually below it.
Old 03 July 2013, 01:15 AM

Vacation 's all I ever wanted. I need and deserve a week off!
Old 03 July 2013, 02:20 PM

Canada

Without any extra effort, I've managed to lose about 20# since moving to DSM. Also, I bowled a 163 last week in my bowling league, which is a personal best by at least 50 points.

Things have been going great for me since I moved here, and I'm not even worried about it all going to heck anymore.
Old 04 July 2013, 03:42 PM

One of my favorite sights to see: happy doggy looking out of a passing car while wearing that triumphant "I got a caaaaaar riiiiide!" grin.
Old 07 July 2013, 12:27 AM

I'm back living in my old hippie liberal college town, and today I found a truly local, non-corporate community radio station. Tom Waits followed by punk rock, followed by a program dedicated to Nelson Mandela.
Old 07 July 2013, 12:41 AM

When Calgary was hit by massive floods a couple weeks ago, one of the hardest hit areas was our zoo. Parts of it were under several feet of water for days, and it's going to be months before they're fully up and running again. Fortunately, there were almost no animal casualties (they lost some of their fish and a couple of the free roaming peacocks who couldn't be caught in time).

One of the more dangerous situations was with the meerkats, who were in an area that wasn't expected to flood when they did the first animal evacuations. Today they posted that a week after the worst day of flooding, one of the meerkats gave birth and all seem to be doing well, despite being displaced for the moment.

tl:dr: meerkat pups!! Squee!!
Old 07 July 2013, 11:33 AM

Geek toys ... I got a Galaxy S4 the other day and it is completely awesome. I was also able to restore my apps from my old phone without any difficulty at all.
Old 07 July 2013, 07:23 PM

Icon18

A customer with a possibly-Irish accent -- I am very bad at identifying accents -- reacted to my help last night with "Thank you, you're a gem." It's always nice to get a compliment you've never gotten before.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 09 July 2013, 01:05 PM

A family friend loves the blanket I bought for her new baby. She says the baby loves it, too.
Old 12 July 2013, 02:45 PM

Icon106

Wikipedia surfing has caused me to learn that the radio station I listened to most often when I was a kid (Q105 Tampa) has changed formats since I moved up north, but one of the most popular DJs from back then is still around and now hosts their morning show and is the program director. Given that the station was acquired by Clear Channel and then CBS, this was kind of surprising and made me smile.

They also still use the same logo they've used for as long as I can remember, which gave me a nice jolt of visual nostalgia!
Old 12 July 2013, 03:10 PM

I love my lunchtime mini-vacations. A beach view and a fish taco makes the whole day better.
Old 12 July 2013, 04:30 PM

Hard for me to be grumpy if "Montego Bay" or "Bang on the Drum" comes on the radio.
Old 12 July 2013, 08:59 PM

E*E is out of town for a few days visiting her Grandmother, which does suck but I'm making the most of it by cooking myself a nice Surf 'N Turf dinner. E*E can't stand the smell of cooking fish but I'm got myself a nice fresh swordfish steak, an Angus Sirloin, a big Russett baking potato, and French Cut Green Beans to show down on tonight.
Old 13 July 2013, 12:47 AM

We just spent over an hour at the dog park with Pumba. There were probably a dozen dogs by the time we left and everyone was having a good time. Pumba has yet to meet a dog (or cat or person, for that matter) he doesn't like. It was nice. And the weather is gorgeous this evening.
Old 13 July 2013, 01:52 AM

Icon18

The fourish-year-old girl in the park today wearing a frilly pink skirt and heart-shaped sunglasses and carrying a lightsaber.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Closed Thread