snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 11 October 2017, 11:45 PM

TV Trump calls to 'challenge' NBC's license. FCC responds: 'Not how it works'

NBC News and other media outlets have continued to try to hold the Trump administration accountable for months despite a barrage of criticism from the president himself, but Wednesday President Donald Trump called into question the government’s very power to regulate NBC and other television networks or — as he put it in a tweet about “NBC and the Networks” — “challenge their license.”

Could the government really do that? The short answer is no.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...htmlstory.html
Old 11 October 2017, 11:58 PM

Wonder if he includes CNN as one of the "Networks" that he thinks the FCC should "regulate".
Old 12 October 2017, 12:23 AM

I'm sure he does, but his recent ire is at NBC for reporting that his secretary of state called him a moron.

Though I strongly suspect that if he really tried to take some action, even Fox would fight him hard knowing what the precedent could do to them down the road if the Democrats get in (or if Trump gets peeved at them again for some reason).
Old 12 October 2017, 12:26 AM

Default Who's winning Trump's war with media?

President Trump has opened up a new front in his war against the media, this time with NBC News in his sights. But is the conflict taming the press or simply making it stronger?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...war-with-media
Old 12 October 2017, 04:11 AM

I am deeply concerned about this. Even many people who are anti-Trump hate the mainstream press for not being partisan enough for them (I work with someone like this who is really outspoken about how much she hates the New York Times for treating Trump "as if he is legitimately the president," when, well, what else should they do?).

Every day I grow more worried that the Russians will win this one. They've won so much already.
Old 12 October 2017, 04:35 AM

Yes, it's extremely concerning. Everyone goes "well, that's not how it works" I guess hoping we all presume that he's just mouthing off ignorantly again without anything to back it up rather than the truth of the matter which is that he's surrounded by people who know a lot more than he does and are perfectly willing to find a way to make these anti-democratic moves work. The people in his administration calling him morons still support the same policies, up to and including this fascist bs. That's why they're with him, not out of some contrived fantasy that they'll somehow protect the country and world from his idiocy.
Old 12 October 2017, 02:04 PM

From the start of the Fuhrer's rise to power I've actually been more concerned about his supporters than I have been about him. I admit though I was thinking more of the baying crowds who chant "lock her up" whenever they hear the dogwhistle. I hadn't though as much about the people in positions of power at the White House who have to know what they're dealing with but are prepared to hold their nose and accept it because they have their own agendas - and for many of them that's not just a paycheque .
Old 16 October 2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Wonder if he includes CNN as one of the "Networks" that he thinks the FCC should "regulate".
CNN really isn't a network is it? The Feds regulate broadcast only (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and local broadcast stations). Cable news is, AFAIK, completely unregulated by the government. CNN doesn't really need anything like a license to operate.
Old 16 October 2017, 06:44 PM

I think the article in the OP addresses this:

Quote:
Could the government really do that? [Challenge NBC's License]

The short answer is no. Even the Federal Communications Commission, which sets broadcast rules for communication companies in the U.S., says specifically that it does “not license TV or radio networks (such as CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox).” Even its commissioner, Jessica Rosenworcel, responded: “Not how it works.”

Quote:
As president, Trump has repeatedly criticized NBC, and more commonly CNN, for news reports about his administration. Because the FCC does not have any authority over the networks, there is nothing the government can do about NBC or CNN’s content.
~Psihala
Old 16 October 2017, 06:58 PM

Exactly -- the FCC regulates individual stations.
Old 16 October 2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Exactly -- the FCC regulates individual stations.
More specifically, the FCC only regulates broadcast stations. If a station also provides content to a cable or satellite system then that content is not regulated by the FCC.

BTW, networks like NBC often do own at least a couple of stations directly. Looks like NBC owns 12 local broadcast stations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Ow...ision_Stations