snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 06 October 2017, 09:16 PM

Default As IRS Targeted Tea Party Groups, It Went After Progressives Too

As IRS Targeted Tea Party Groups, It Went After Progressives Too

Quote:
in the third audit of how the tax-exempt application process went off the rails, the Treasury Department's inspector general overseeing the IRS has found the agency targeted not just conservatives but also scores of groups with words like "progressive" in their names.

"The far right has been beating a drum for years now that there was a partisan attack on them," said Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., one of the requestors. He said the new report shows "that's just not true."

But the TIGTA audit didn't absolve the IRS. Wyden said the overall picture was "equal opportunity mismanagement and equal opportunity bedlam."

I've got to say, Wyden's description got me laughing.

Though I don't suppose it's funny, in most senses of funny, if that's an accurate description of the Treasury Department.
Old 06 October 2017, 10:00 PM

Political parties can not receive a tax free rating. If activist groups, conservative or liberal, act like a political party, the IRS has to look closely at them.
Old 06 October 2017, 11:15 PM

Yes, I know.

That's why the IRS was checking into them; but the claim was made that they were only checking into groups whose names sounded like they'd hold conservative political opinions, while not investigating groups that sounded like they were liberal.

The claim was also made that they were disallowing, and/or carrying on excessively lengthly investigations of, groups that whatever their names sounded like were not actually carrying on political activity in a way that would disqualify them for the tax status the groups were claiming.

I was pretty dubious of both claims; but it sounds as if, while they're innocent of the first charge, there may be something in the second -- though it's not clear to me whether the overlong investigations were of groups that were actually clearly eligible for the status and should have needed only a brief check, or whether it was just that they were taking too long to decide on cases in general.

ETA: There were also people who seemed to feel that groups they liked ought to be eligible for the tax exempt status, even if it seemed to me pretty clear that they didn't meet the standard. There was some attitude of 'that's not politics, we're just trying to tell people the truth!' involved.