snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 04 October 2017, 06:06 AM

Default Rep. Tim Murphy, popular with pro-life movement, urged abortion in affair,

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...L&ocid=U007DHP

Quote:
A text message sent in January to U.S. Rep. Tim Murphy by a woman with whom he had an extra-marital relationship took him to task for an anti-abortion statement posted on Facebook from his office's public account.

"And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options," Shannon Edwards, a forensic psychologist in Pittsburgh with whom the congressman admitted last month to having a relationship, wrote to Mr. Murphy on Jan. 25, in the midst of an unfounded pregnancy scare.
What a surprise.

Guy sounds like quite a piece of work.
Old 04 October 2017, 12:16 PM

Why should what he does what he tries to force upon the nation have anything to do with his personal life? I mean, those rules he makes are for OTHER people, ya know, people without money or connections.
Old 04 October 2017, 12:45 PM

Another case of "Do as I say, not as I do".

OY
Old 04 October 2017, 02:57 PM

It's more than that. It's further proof that the "pro-life" movement is really just pro-punishing-women-for-sex.
Old 04 October 2017, 06:08 PM

And punishing them for being poor, since poor women are much more affected by such things than wealthy women.
Old 05 October 2017, 01:55 PM

U.S. Republican Congressman Tim Murphy of Pennsylvania has announced plans to retire at the end of this term — amid tawdry revelations of an extramarital affair.

"[I will] take personal time to seek help as my family and I continue to work through our personal difficulties," Murphy, who is in his eighth term, said in a statement Wednesday.

Murphy's statement comes a day after a local newspaper published text messages indicating that the congressman, who opposes abortion, asked his mistress to get an abortion when he thought she was pregnant.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/tim-mur...ring-1.4331140
Old 05 October 2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
It's more than that. It's further proof that the "pro-life" movement is really just pro-punishing-women-for-sex.
For many it is*. Cynical GenYus says that for many/most politicians it is pro-getting-elected-without-having-to-have-actual-policies.

* Note the scarcity of anti-abortionists who are also against teaching comprehensive sex-education including contraceptive use.
Old 05 October 2017, 03:50 PM

Jaded

You know instead of constantly preaching about family values or whatever, politicians et al should just start living them/doing them.
Old 05 October 2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
You know instead of constantly preaching about family values or whatever, politicians et al should just start living them/doing them.
Whut air yew, some kina radical?

No, really, we can't ask politicians to give up their hypocrisy. Their hypocrisy is the best hypocrisy, honed to perfection by generations of experts.
Old 05 October 2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
For many it is*. Cynical GenYus says that for many/most politicians it is pro-getting-elected-without-having-to-have-actual-policies.

* Note the scarcity of anti-abortionists who are also against teaching comprehensive sex-education including contraceptive use.
Unless I’m misunderstanding you(and I very well could be), there seems to be a scarcity of anti-abortionists in favor of teaching comprehensive sex education and contraceptive use; usually it’s “keep your legs closed if you don’t want a baby.”
Old 05 October 2017, 09:24 PM

Oops. "Note the scarcity of anti-abortionists who are also for teaching comprehensive sex-education including contraceptive use."

ETA: Or, "Note the plethora of anti-abortionists who are also against teaching comprehensive sex-education including contraceptive use."
Old 06 October 2017, 01:43 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Murphy’s actions are emblematic of the anti-choice movement. It was never about the sanctity of life; it was always about asserting control over the bodies of women. He doesn’t want a baby, so she should, regardless of her feelings about the issue, get an abortion.
Old 06 October 2017, 02:23 AM

He has resigned.

Embattled GOP Rep. Tim Murphy to resign from House

Republican Rep. Tim Murphy is resigning from his House seat on Oct. 21, according to a statement Thursday released by Speaker Paul Ryan.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/embattl...gn-from-house/