snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 11 October 2017, 06:37 AM

Well, you can also voice your protest while standing:

By Angelo Cozzi (Mondadori Publishers) - http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/...hoto/186173327,
Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=40937149
Old 11 October 2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I don't think it's simpler than that: Dump was just upset that there was something on TV that wasn't about him. So he made it about himself.
He is using the issue as a distraction. I'm sure he doesn't give a fat rat's arse about the issue. Everyone thinks he is an idiot, but when was the last time the media talked about the Russia investigation.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:44 PM

I'm sure give doesn't give a rat's ass about the issue, but I think he does have a -- real, to him -- sense of grievance over it: "I'm so good and smart doing so many great things, and people are so mean and unfair to me, and those black guys kneeling for the national anthem are getting a free ride!"
Old 11 October 2017, 01:09 PM

Icon102

I saw a blurb on the news last night that Dear Leader is going to look into the tax breaks the NFL gets; that's one good thing.
Old 11 October 2017, 02:00 PM

United States

Maybe, but I don't want a leader who does things out of spite.
Old 11 October 2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
(How do people not get that forcing people to engage in a ritual makes it meaningless?)
They get it. They don't care. The issue was never about respect for the flag/military/police/country/Mom/apple pie/Chevrolet/etc. The issue was about a distraction from Trump's failures and an attempt to silence protesters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
NFL great Mike Ditka was blitzed by critics Tuesday after he declared in a radio interview that “there has been no oppression in the last 100 years that I know of.”
"That I know of" being the key phrase. Also, "Now maybe I’m not watching it as carefully as other people." Ya think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I saw a blurb on the news last night that Dear Leader is going to look into the tax breaks the NFL gets; that's one good thing.
The NFL doesn't get any Federal tax breaks, so I'm not sure what he could look into. At one time, the NFL headquarters were tax exempt, but they relinquished that in 2015*. The NFL teams individually have always paid full Federal taxes on revenue from ticket, merchandise, and media income. Teams do get significant tax breaks from individual states or municipalities (as do many other industries), but I'm pretty sure that is entirely out of the Federal government's control.

* And it was never that big. In 2012, $9 million was exempt when overall league revenues were over $10 billion

Last edited by GenYus234; 11 October 2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: speeling and footnote
Old 11 October 2017, 04:04 PM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Teams do get significant tax breaks from individual states or municipalities (as do many other industries),

Ah! Thank you for clearing that up! I either heard fake news or misheard real news.
Old 11 October 2017, 04:21 PM

It isn't really fake as Trump did tweet about changing tax laws to remove the "massive" tax breaks that the NFL gets. Which either means he doesn't know that the NFL doesn't actually get Federal tax breaks or that he thinks the Federal government should be able to dictate state and municipality tax laws. Either choice shows a massive amount of ignorance, so I can't decide which one it is. Occam's Razor would suggest that Trump was repeating "common" knowledge without any actual knowledge or research or understanding.

ETA: As at least one commentator pointed out, making tax decisions because of what message a non-profit organization says would be a massive First Amendment issue. And it would happen to be exactly the same thing that got all the conservatives up in arms when it seemed the IRS was targeting conservative political action groups for scrutiny. (Turns out they were targeting liberal political action groups too.) But we all know that it only matters when something bad happens to a conservative, when it happens to a "liberal"*, it is just and right.

* Quotes around "liberal" because I'm having a hard time picturing the NFL or its teams as liberals.
Old 11 October 2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Either choice shows a massive amount of ignorance, so I can't decide which one it is.
Hey, at least he knew Puerto Rico was surrounded not only by water, but "big water. Ocean water."

He are SMRT!

~Psihala
Old 11 October 2017, 10:50 PM

They don't get tax breaks, but they do have an exemption from anti-Trust laws that he might go after. I'm not sure there would be a lot of short-term consequences from that, however. (And I'm not sure it's a bad idea, either, though I agree it should be done based on some principle, not because the NFL made Donnie-boy mad.)
Old 16 October 2017, 08:12 AM

'Take a knee' comes to Germany through Hertha solidarity

As a sign for tolerance and responsibility and against racism, players and coaching team of the German Soccer Premier League club Hertha BSC Berlin took a knee before their home game on Saturday.

This has also been reported as being a sign against Trump. Although the club doesn't claim that, Trump's actions against protesting NFL players made it so that one can't support the protest without at the same time protesting agains Trump.

So, he kind of managed to make it all about himself, but not in a good way...
Old 16 October 2017, 04:02 PM

Looks like Kaepernick is filing suit against the NFL:
Quote:
According to Mike Freeman of Bleacher Report, the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback has hired attorney Mark Geragos and will claim NFL owners have colluded to keep him out of the league. Under the league’s Collective Bargaining Agreement teams and the NFL are forbidden from coming together to deprive a player of employment.
Old 14 November 2017, 05:11 PM

Ponder

Resurrecting this thread to bring up DH's perspective: he doesn't see taking a knee as a show of disrespect, rather he sees it as Kaepernick's way of saying, with all due respect, there are some problems in this country that we really need to discuss. Of course now it's become a you hate the flag/country!! statement, and has become much bigger than Kaepernick.
Old 14 November 2017, 10:34 PM

DawnStorm, that seems to actually be the idea: that kneeling is a sign of respect, so that protesting while kneeling is a way of doing exactly what your husband describes.
Old 15 November 2017, 12:58 AM

Mouse

That's pretty much what it means, Dawnstorm. The thing is, Kaepernick started his protest when Obama was in office. He wasn't protesting Trump; he was protesting police brutality.

It was Trump who made it all about him, because Trump is incapable of not making something about him. In fact, if anything's going on that isn't about Trump, he will intervene to make it about him.