snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 26 September 2017, 12:28 PM

Jaded Ala. Senate candidate pulls out his gun during campaign rally

Republican Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore drew a handgun from his pocket during a campaign rally on Monday as he made a final push to sway voters ahead of the state's Republican runoff for U.S. Senate on Tuesday.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ala-s..._headlines_hed
Old 26 September 2017, 01:24 PM

Canada

At first glance I thought this was "Alta Senate..." and I thought "only in Alberta" .
Old 26 September 2017, 07:31 PM

So bizarre. The guy waving the gun around might be the more reasonable choice.
Old 26 September 2017, 07:53 PM

Relatively speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
At first glance I thought this was "Alta Senate..." and I thought "only in Alberta" .
Alberta, Alabama, tomato, tomahto
Old 26 September 2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
So bizarre. The guy waving the gun around might be the more reasonable choice.
In what universe? What could I possibly be missing about Luther Strange that would make Roy Freaking Moore (waving gun around, referring to "red" and "yellow" people and then defending it by saying it's in the gospel, defying the US Supreme Court's decision on same sex marriage, and enemy of the separation of church and state) the more sensible choice?
Old 26 September 2017, 08:11 PM

Trump doesn't support Moore.

But then Bannon does, so that's probably a wash.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:14 PM

Yeah, this is a strange case where I have to hope the candidate Trump endorsed wins. Although there's some speculation that Moore would be less likely to cooperate with Mitch McConnell and other Senate leaders, forcing them even more to try to get Democratic votes on board, making them compromise on a few things.

Moore is scary enough I'm not sure I want to take the chance, though.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:16 PM

If it were not for trying to make nice with Mitch McConnell, I'm sure Trump would not be supporting Strange. In this case, oddly enough, Trump's endorsement does not mean he's the worse candidate.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
If it were not for trying to make nice with Mitch McConnell, I'm sure Trump would not be supporting Strange. In this case, oddly enough, Trump's endorsement does not mean he's the worse candidate.
Whichever one gets elected means there is another jerk in congress. But only one of the two is likely to vote with the Turnip.
Old 26 September 2017, 08:44 PM

One of them waves a gun around, uses racial slurs, actively undermined the rule of law as a state Supreme Court Justice, and personally had a ten commandments monument installed on courthouse grounds. He cannot possibly be a reasonable choice.

And I'm not sure there will be any difference in voting.
Old 26 September 2017, 09:10 PM

I hope Moore wins the primary. It feels like there might be a shot for a Democratic pickup if Moore is the nominee, but not if Strange is.
Old 26 September 2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
One of them waves a gun around, uses racial slurs, actively undermined the rule of law as a state Supreme Court Justice, and personally had a ten commandments monument installed on courthouse grounds. He cannot possibly be a reasonable choice.

And I'm not sure there will be any difference in voting.
Other than being a state supreme court justice, do any of those things really not apply to Strange? Did Strange speak out against the ten commandment display? Or about a copy of the commandments on the wall in Moore's chambers? Someone released the scurrilous ( ) claim that Moore was anti-first amendment, and that was designed to make Strange look better. The only reason Strange isn't waving a gun at a rally is because the Moore supporters didn't make the same claim against him.

So the two are probably going to vote the same, on most things, but at least with Moore you would have someone that isn't in the Turnip's debt. Either way we get a jerk, but a slightly anti-turnip jerk is preferred.
Old 26 September 2017, 10:48 PM

Being slightly anti-Dump compared to the other guy isn't actually a ringing endorsement. Nor does it cancel out all the other things he's done.
Old 26 September 2017, 11:18 PM

This article talks about some of Moore's beliefs. Putting up the Ten Commandments is relatively mild compared to what he'd like to do.

Quote:
In a 2006 column arguing that Muslim American Rep. Keith Ellison should not seated by Congress, Moore argued that the Constitution is founded on specifically Christian principles, and that anyone whose beliefs fall outside Christian principles by definition fall outside those of the Constitution as well.
Never mind the bit about "no religious test for public office..." God clearly didn't write it.
Old 27 September 2017, 12:01 AM

Trump himself has pointed out that Moore is supported by Trump's base, and Trump was already distancing himself from his lukewarm endorsement before the votes were even cast.

Supporting Trump's agenda is still different from actually being part of the lunatic fringe. And I can't believe that after George W.Bush and then Trump, anyone would be foolish enough to cheer the worse candidate winning the GOP primary in the hopes that it will help the Democrat win. That's especially unlikely to happen in Alabama.
Old 27 September 2017, 12:17 AM

In a poll article from yesterday, they both had at least a 15% lead on the Democratic candidate.
Old 27 September 2017, 06:18 AM

Default Trump-backed candidate Luther Strange loses Alabama GOP Senate runoff to Roy Moore

Conservative firebrand Roy Moore beat the President Trump-supported Luther Strange in the Alabama Republican special election runoff for the U.S. Senate Tuesday night, according to The Associated Press.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama...-live-results/
Old 27 September 2017, 01:42 PM

Alright, after seeing the poll numbers, I realize that I was wrong. I hadn't looked in a while, but the poll numbers around the time of the first vote indicated that it would be close if Moore was running. If he's running 15 points ahead, then all I can really say is that Alabama sucks.
Old 27 September 2017, 07:08 PM

Default Who is Doug Jones, and can he defeat Roy Moore in conservative Alabama?

Democrats who have not seriously contested an Alabama Senate race since 1996 think they have a credible candidate in Doug Jones, a former U.S. attorney who successfully prosecuted members of the Ku Klux Klan who bombed a black church in Birmingham in 1963, killing four girls. Several progressive groups believe they have a clearer shot at winning the general election in December than they would have if Sen. Luther Strange, the establishment candidate who lost resoundingly to Moore on Tuesday, had won.

Clearer, but not necessarily easy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...=.d05f6cd96338
Old 27 September 2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
all I can really say is that Alabama sucks.
As a former resident of the state, all I can say is Mississippi is worse.