snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 25 September 2017, 01:25 PM

United States Jared Kushner Used Private Email In Trump Administration, Lawyer Confirms

White House Senior Adviser Jared Kushner has used both a private email account and an official email address to communicate with other government officials, his attorney says. Responding to media reports about Kushner's email habits, his lawyer said, "All non-personal emails were forwarded to his official address."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...awyer-confirms

But, it's clearly not the same thing at all as when Clinton did it, her being a woman and a democrat and all .
Old 25 September 2017, 02:38 PM

Baseball

I won't hold my breath for cries of "LOCK HIM UP" at the next Trump MEGA (read mini) RALLY!!!
Old 25 September 2017, 03:28 PM

Not that this will have anything to do with how Trump and his supporters will view this compared to Hillary's email, but what exactly did Kushner set up? I've seen it reported that he had a private email account, a private email domain, and a private email server (the last two in a single article )*. These are very different things and which he actually setup has major implications on how well he could be using the private email to hide activities.

* A real world analogy would be saying he had packages delivered to his home address, that he rented a box at a mail store, or that he had his own private courier service**.

** Not an exact analogy, but pretty close IMO.
Old 25 September 2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Not that this will have anything to do with how Trump and his supporters will view this compared to Hillary's email, but what exactly did Kushner set up? I've seen it reported that he had a private email account, a private email domain, and a private email server (the last two in a single article )*. These are very different things and which he actually setup has major implications on how well he could be using the private email to hide activities.
You are assuming that he is smart enough to know that the ability to hide things is different in those three scenarios. (And I'm assuming he is actually trying to hide things.) More importantly, how well a particular approach would work has nothing to do with the legalities involved. Doing it badly is just as illegal as doing it well.
Old 25 September 2017, 04:28 PM

Even in the case of a private email server, I would think it is unlikely that the security is all that good. He might have a truly "private" server that he setup, which I think is pretty unlikely and would be a hacker's dream. He could have an employee tasked with his overall compute infrastructure, he is certainly wealthy enough for that. That might be pretty secure but the employee would have knowledge of the system and would know things like if there are, or are not, backups (and where the are located). That employee would be easy to subpoena. He could be using the infrastructure of a company he owns. That could be quite good but again that means there are multiple people, and probably company policies, that would be possible weak points for an investigation. He could be personally hiring a web hosting company that manages the email. Most such companies are pretty good about maintaining backups and it really takes a significant effort to actually delete an old email. Again they would be easy to subpoena.

Are there any web infrastructure companies that claim they make old email impossible to recover? The kind of company that would advertise in the back pages of "Soldier of Fortune" magazine?

And of course, there is always the concern that there is often two independent email systems involved; the sender and the receiver. Even if your personal email server is very good at deleting old email the people communicating with you will have their own copies. (Wasn't the last batch of Hillary's emails actually form other peoples email servers?)
Old 25 September 2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
But, it's clearly not the same thing at all as when Clinton did it, her being a woman and a democrat and all .
It wasn't so much that she had the email, it was about how she used it for human trafficking from the basement of that pizza place run by lizard people. Benghazi.
Old 25 September 2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
You are assuming that he is smart enough to know that the ability to hide things is different in those three scenarios. (And I'm assuming he is actually trying to hide things.) More importantly, how well a particular approach would work has nothing to do with the legalities involved. Doing it badly is just as illegal as doing it well.
If I were assuming anything, I wouldn't be asking a question. And it isn't a question about competence vs illegality but about the amount of deliberation vs accident in the activity. IE, setting up a private email sever shows a great deal of deliberation whereas using a private email address or (to a lesser extent) using a private domain does not prove much in the way of deliberation.
Old 25 September 2017, 07:11 PM

I'm less concerned about security (though that is certainly a potential issue) as I am about whether he might be using it to attempt to hide some official communications from public scrutiny, to cover up wrongdoing. (Though anyone who's dumb enough these days to send something that could be evidence of criminal activity by email deserves what they get, unless they're using strong encryption of some variety.)

The same, by the way, was true as far as I was concerned with regards to Hillary Clinton. I never really heard anyone come forth with emails from her server that they could point to and say "This is what she was trying to hide!" (Though of course there could be something among the deleted ones -- but whether they were sent or received, there could easily have been copies elsewhere.)

Still, compared to everything else that's going on, it's a pretty minor issue -- except for the way their side made it such a major one. It's like I don't really care how many times a candidate has been married and divorced (within reason), except when the candidate makes a big deal about how something he disapproves of is supposedly destroying the institution of marriage.
Old 25 September 2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
If I were assuming anything, I wouldn't be asking a question. And it isn't a question about competence vs illegality but about the amount of deliberation vs accident in the activity. IE, setting up a private email sever shows a great deal of deliberation whereas using a private email address or (to a lesser extent) using a private domain does not prove much in the way of deliberation.
I have a private email server (actually though I rent part of someone else's machine, I don't control the physical machine) and domain (which I do own), does that imply nefarious intent? Of course, when he setup the account might imply intent but having an account not so much.
Old 25 September 2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Still, compared to everything else that's going on, it's a pretty minor issue -- except for the way their side made it such a major one. It's like I don't really care how many times a candidate has been married and divorced (within reason), except when the candidate makes a big deal about how something he disapproves of is supposedly destroying the institution of marriage.
Or a politician is anti-undocumented worker but his spouse was an undocumented worker.
Old 25 September 2017, 09:22 PM

Yeah, don't you almost wish he'd just put that in his immigration policies? "We will deport all the illegal aliens, except for those who are female, under 30, and at least a 9 on the hotness scale. Those, I will interview personally..."
Old 26 September 2017, 03:25 PM

Default 'Height of hypocrisy': Clinton calls out Trump team over private email reports

At least six senior Trump administration figures are reported to have used private email accounts for official White House business, prompting Hillary Clinton to describe criticism of her own private server use as “the height of hypocrisy”.

Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, admitted through his lawyer on Sunday that he had used private emails in the administration’s early days.

According to a New York Times report on Monday Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump, aides Gary Cohn and Stephen Miller, and former staff members Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus also used private accounts for official business.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ite-house-work
Old 26 September 2017, 03:36 PM

Absolutely no surprise here. You could pretty much list every crime or improper activity that Trump and co are guilty of simply by cataloging the things they accuse others of doing.
Old 26 September 2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Absolutely no surprise here. You could pretty much list every crime or improper activity that Trump and co are guilty of simply by cataloging the things they accuse others of doing.
It goes beyond that though, you have to take into account the "stupid factor". Not only do they do what they accuse others of, they also do things that are just stupid (and illegal).
Old 28 September 2017, 12:20 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Repeat after me: It is always about Projection with the Right.

It's probably comforting for them, believing that everyone is just as horrible as they are, but it sucks for everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
It goes beyond that though, you have to take into account the "stupid factor". Not only do they do what they accuse others of, they also do things that are just stupid (and illegal).
That may be the most irritating thing about the Trump Administration: not the level of evil, but the level of stupid. John Oliver has dubbed the Russia Investigation as Stupid Watergate and I totally agree. All the importance and seriousness of Watergate, only everyone involved is really, really stupid. Maybe it's too much to hope for David Xanatos or Petyr Baelish-level chess-master villains, but can't we have some with a few brain cells.