snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 14 August 2017, 03:03 AM

I'm really getting sick of all these carefully couched statements that pretend that the Psycho Right has even the slightest amount of credibility.
Old 14 August 2017, 03:25 AM

Blow Your Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Exactly. I nearly hit the ceiling when I saw that quote.
I was shocked. It was so easy to respond to this event with something that most people would accept. Its practically a gimme. But what does Trump say? Well it boils down to the false canard of “both sides do it!!!” that you say when you support the wrong side and have no way to defend to defend them so you just drag the opposition down to your level. Its sickening.
Old 14 August 2017, 07:58 AM

United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MopJQFMsdZ0

Parts of this movie have been making the social media rounds. (Made by the U. S. Army Signal Corps in 1943 and rereleased in 1947.)
Old 14 August 2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I've been hearing more about the deep state lately. I assume it is so ultra conservatives can find someone to blame for Trump's failings since the traditional government is now controlled by their side.
Old 14 August 2017, 05:52 PM

Default Scaramucci: Trump Should Have Been ‘Much Harsher’ On White Supremacy

Former White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci on Sunday said President Donald Trump should have been “much harsher” in condemning white supremacy after clashes at a Charlottesville rally left one person dead and dozens injured.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...hite-supremacy

(...though I suspect that's not what he'd be saying if he still worked there...)
Old 14 August 2017, 07:24 PM

Flame Tiki torch company: We have nothing to do with white nationalism

"Tiki Brand is not associated in any way with the events that took place in Charlottesville and are deeply saddened and disappointed," the company said in a statement Monday. "We do not support their message or the use of our products in this way."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/14/news...ebar_expansion
Old 14 August 2017, 07:34 PM

A more forceful response, a few minutes ago, from Trump:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politi...D=ansmsnnews11

Thanks.

Bill
Old 14 August 2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
"Racism is evil," he said, singling out the hate groups as "repugnant to everything that we hold dear as Americans."
translation: "I've been told this is how I feel".
Old 14 August 2017, 07:45 PM

Jaded Trump lashes out at black CEO who quits council

One of America's most prominent black CEOs quit President Trump's manufacturing council on Monday over Trump's initial failure to condemn white supremacists.

Kenneth Frazier of Merck said in a statement: "America's leaders must honor our fundamental values by clearly rejecting expressions of hatred, bigotry and group supremacy."

Within minutes, Trump attacked him on Twitter, saying Frazier's resignation will give him "more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!"

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/14/inve...-story-summary
Old 14 August 2017, 08:11 PM

So Trump was fine with Frazier's company having ripoff drug prices when Frazier was on the council?
Old 14 August 2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A more forceful response, a few minutes ago, from Trump
Too late, IMO.

If it takes two days of people yelling at you to get you to say something*, chances are pretty good that you don't mean it.

And chances are pretty good that the people who spent two days being glad he hadn't said it are also going to think he doesn't mean it. Which may well be what he does mean to happen.

*that is, I suppose people do occasionally have epiphanies and change their minds. I just really doubt that Trump has.
Old 14 August 2017, 08:57 PM

He gets on Twitter to vent his presidential spleen if he thinks he didn't get enough ketchup on his hamburger, his radio silence on this issue speaks volumes.
Old 15 August 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
translation: "I've been told this is how I feel".
Definitely his clean-up crew in action here.
Old 15 August 2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
A more forceful response, a few minutes ago, from Trump:
One of the few public appearances where he's stuck strictly to a pre-written script without rambling diversions, because he wouldn't have been able to get through a denouncement of Nazis without staff telling him exactly what to say.

And in interesting timing, Trump is now considering pardoning Joe Arpaio, just to make sure racists know he's still got their back.
Old 15 August 2017, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Too late, IMO.
IMO, it was too late when he tried to pull a “both sides do it” statement by saying “all sides”.
Old 15 August 2017, 02:56 AM

Mouse

I should probably stop communicating in YouTube links, but I would be remiss in my duties as anything if I didn't share the epic bitchslap John Oliver dished out about Trump's response. I'm not sure if even Putin's tender embrace could soothe the pain caused by that burn.
Old 15 August 2017, 04:23 AM

His tweets before and after completely undid any semblance of sincerity. No one but a small set of deluded reactionists believes anything he says. Probably finally got the orders to make the speech from his Russian handlers.

Then we have Ivanka saying, "There should be no place in society for racism, white supremacy and neo-nazis." I guess she doesn't consider the White House "society". Well, yeah, now that it's been turned into a swamp and a dump, I agree. Smh.
Old 15 August 2017, 05:28 AM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Then we have Ivanka saying, "There should be no place in society for racism, white supremacy and neo-nazis." I guess she doesn't consider the White House "society". Well, yeah, now that it's been turned into a swamp and a dump, I agree. Smh.
Have you forgotten your history? Washington D.C., and by extension the White House, was built on a swamp. Perhaps I also should learn to stop communicating in YouTube videos.

ETA: And apparently this is what taxes were like circa 1990, in the days before e-filing?
Old 15 August 2017, 10:05 PM

Default Trump says 'alt-left' also to blame for Charlottesville violence

U.S. President Donald Trump returned insistently Tuesday to his assessment that "there is blame on both sides" after being roundly criticized for such comments following the deadly violence last weekend in Charlottesville, Va.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-c...ence-1.4248466
Old 16 August 2017, 12:15 AM

Sigh.

For lack of language that would get me kicked off, anyway.

Certainly no question left what Trump actually meant, now is there?

-- I really, really hope that it doesn't turn out that one of the counterprotestors, possibly faced with an armed and armored Nazi looming over them, threw the first punch. While that would still not make the groups remotely equivalent, and also certainly wouldn't be remotely equivalent to driving a car into the crowd, those defending the supremacists would have a field day with it.

The police seem to have said that the supremacist crowd didn't stay in their alloted demonstration space, and seem to be blaming that for police forces not having kept the two groups separated. -- when I hunt up timelines, there were multiple incidents over at least two days. Exactly who swung first in any of them may well remain unclear.