snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 24 July 2013, 01:58 AM

D'oh! Weiner apologizes anew after more explicit pictures, texts emerge

New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner admitted to sending additional explicit photos and texts to a woman he met online — an exchange she says began months after he resigned from the U.S. Congress for similar behaviour.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ny-mayoral-...185752874.html
Old 24 July 2013, 03:03 AM

While this is true...

...Mark Sanford.
Old 24 July 2013, 03:32 PM

Meanwhile, Geraldo Rivera prepares for his entry into the New York City mayoral race.
Old 24 July 2013, 05:19 PM

With all the shenanigans going on, suddenly electing an ex-professional wrestler as governor doesn't seem too bad by comparison.
Old 24 July 2013, 05:56 PM

Weiner needs to seek help and find a new line of work.
Old 24 July 2013, 06:06 PM

There were many things about Weiner that I liked. However, this predatory behavior is inexcusable.
Old 24 July 2013, 06:18 PM

*Trying hard to not make a joke about wieners*
Old 24 July 2013, 08:26 PM

I really feel for his wife & kid. I know that some people have more open relationships but I really don't think that is the case in their marriage. I don't know how she stood there while he confessed everything again.
Old 24 July 2013, 08:39 PM

Icon401

The Onion’s Tips For Making A Political Comeback:

* After the bad thing you did is first uncovered, try not to keep doing that bad thing...

http://www.theonion.com/articles/the...omeback,33237/
Old 25 July 2013, 01:51 AM

And I believe yesterday was National Hot Dog Day, too.
Old 25 July 2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
There were many things about Weiner that I liked. However, this predatory behavior is inexcusable.
I am not sure that is exactly true, as she pursued him wouldn't her behavior, and subsequent public remorse be predatory.

This is from 2011...

Old 25 July 2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieyrissa View Post
I am not sure that is exactly true, as she pursued him wouldn't her behavior, and subsequent public remorse be predatory.
He didn't just do this to one woman.

Quote:
Ms. Cordova was first impressed with Mr. Weiner after she saw him take on Representative Michele Bachmann, a Tea Party-backed Republican from Minnesota, on Fox News’s “Hannity.” Ms. Cordova and her boyfriend thought the congressman was smart and funny, and they both started following him on Twitter.

“I tweeted words of support for him as a politician, and I retweeted his tweets often beginning around early to mid-April,” Ms. Cordova said, in a series of conversations by phone and e-mail over the past two days.

She added that in mid-April, “he thanked me for the support” using a direct message — a private note sent via Twitter — and he then signed up as her follower on Twitter, meaning that he could easily read all of her posts.

Ms. Cordova said that after Mr. Weiner began following her, critics of the congressman started sending her harassing messages. She said she then began communicating, always electronically, with the congressman about their shared annoyance with those critics.

Ms. Cordova provided a portion of her communications with Mr. Weiner to The Times, in which they messaged back and forth about the online detractors and their tactics. But Ms. Cordova would not make all of her interaction with him available for review.

“I have not sent him any suggestive messages,” Ms. Cordova said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/ny...ewanted=1&_r=0
Old 25 July 2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
He didn't just do this to one woman.

What he is doing is nothing close to predatory behavior. That some how implies these women are powerless or unable to do anything.

It's just plain weird and creepy in my opinion.

Woman have told me it's common for men to send pictures of their penis to them. I don't get that. Most women I know find that repulsive as they are not stimulated by photos like that.

The general rule is you shouldn't send anything like that when it's not asked for and even if it's asked for you shouldn't send it. You never know where it'll end up.
Old 25 July 2013, 06:10 PM

I agree completely that he has displayed predatory tendencies in the past and even in this instance to some degree, but I think this specific woman played off of that, that pic I posted was before they started tweeting, and she initiated the contact. His behavior doesn't get a pass, I just feel in this case they both acted in a predatory manner. I don't think what a person does in bed should have anything to do with their political platform, but it does, and it is sad that Weiner continues to act out in this was, I had a lot of hopes on him from the first time I heard him say "The gentlemen..." so maybe I am seeing what I want...
Old 25 July 2013, 06:13 PM

At this point, for me, the issue is not sexual behavior but impulse control, judgment and boundaries.

ETA: As for the idea that she "played off" his predatory behavior, 1) she couldn't have played off it if he hadn't exhibited it and 2) AFAIK she's not asking anyone to vote for her.
Old 25 July 2013, 06:22 PM

That is also very true.
Old 25 July 2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
for me, the issue is not sexual behavior but impulse control, judgment and boundaries.
This.

Who politicians sleep with, or for that matter send naked pictures to, is IMO between them, the person(s) being carried on with, and any spouses in question.

However, given that this is not the current attitude of the USA public as a whole, and given that therefore sexual behavior outside marriage can ruin (at least temporarily) one's ability to accomplish anything politically, any USA politician who does behave so is indicating to me that he (or she, though it generally seems to be "he") considers satisfying one's immediate impulses to be more important than accomplishing any political goals.

In addition, putting such communications online shows a staggering lack of sense.
Old 25 July 2013, 06:37 PM

And given that he already got caught once.
Old 26 July 2013, 03:18 AM

According to recent polls, it looks like Wiener is going down. He just couldn't maintain his election.

... what?
Old 26 July 2013, 03:21 AM

Really? Have you seen his poles?