snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 12 September 2017, 07:48 AM

Canada Jagmeet Singh praised for 'calm and positive' reaction to anti-Muslim heckler

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...hate-1.4284473
Quote:
Federal NDP leadership hopeful Jagmeet Singh is garnering praise for the way he reacted to a woman who accused him last week of supporting Islamic extremism, because he chose to come out against "all forms of hate" instead of emphasizing that he is Sikh rather than Muslim.

The Ontario MPP was interrupted by an angry heckler at a meet and greet last Wednesday in Brampton, Ont. The woman stood in front of the candidate and shouted as aides tried to usher her aside in an incident that was caught on video and shared widely on social media well beyond Canada's borders.
I saw the video over the weekend and really loved how he handled the situation. And for those of you who haven't seen it, here it is.

Brian
Old 12 September 2017, 04:23 PM

I wish I had his strength and sense of calm. Beautiful.
Old 12 September 2017, 04:51 PM

I wish I had a fraction of it. I admire him very much.
Old 12 September 2017, 06:07 PM

That woman infuriated me and it wasn't even my face she was screeching nonsense into while demanding everybody else to back off (I guess she thinks only her personal space matters - I'd love to know what she thought the police would have done if she'd wasted their time by calling them for people daring to touch her).

I don't know anything about this bloke, but he has the patience of some sort of kindly wizard headmaster.
Old 12 September 2017, 06:39 PM

He handled that with such class and dignity. Now THAT is what Canada is all about!

You rock, Mr. Singh!
Old 12 September 2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
That woman infuriated me and it wasn't even my face she was screeching nonsense into while demanding everybody else to back off (I guess she thinks only her personal space matters - I'd love to know what she thought the police would have done if she'd wasted their time by calling them for people daring to touch her).
. . . after she invaded their personal space and screamed in their faces.
Old 12 September 2017, 07:36 PM

Maybe I'm projecting, but it is possible part of his calm and measured reaction is because he knew that would be the best way to piss her off.
Old 12 September 2017, 08:28 PM

Canada

Don't worry guys - she's not racist!

‘I’m not racist’: Jagmeet Singh’s heckler posts video defending herself

Quote:
“I went to confront Jagmeet Singh about his policies,” she said. “First off, I recognize that he is a Sikh and not a Muslim. My concern was his policies, what he’s voting for, what that represents for Canadians.”

“I’m not racist. I strongly support the Hindus, we work together on a regular basis to get political ideas moving, to move our country together. Colour, race, religion – they’re really not the point here, the point is the policies.”
Phew, glad that's been cleared up. By the way, she's a member of Rise Canada, a white nationalist group.
Old 12 September 2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Don't worry guys - she's not racist!
Of COURSE she isn't. How on earth could we even THINK such a thing?

Old 12 September 2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
First off, I recognize that he is a Sikh and not a Muslim.
I’m not racist. I strongly support the Hindus, we work together on a regular basis to get political ideas moving, to move our country together.
I think this might be some sort of bigotry all by itself.

One possibility is that she is using her purported rapport with Hindus to claim she has no anti-Sikh bigotry. In which case she is lumping Sikhs and Hindus together. Possibly because their religions come from the same area?

Or does she think they are the same thing?
Old 12 September 2017, 11:23 PM

"Of course I know that (now that you've told me), how could I not? It's so obvious (now that you've told me)."
Old 13 September 2017, 05:59 PM

pinqy's rule of Contrary Statements: The truth doesn't need to say it's the truth, and disclaimers imply guilt.

If someone has to tell you to trust them or believe them: don't. If you are actually trustworthy/believable, you don't need to tell anyone.

If someone says they're not a racist/sexist, then they just said or are about to say something clearly racist/sexist. It can be the case that they honestly do not think their statement is racist/sexist but recognize that it can be taken that way. If the full phrase is "I'm not a racist/sexist, but...." then they know and acknowledge that they're about to say something clearly racist/sexist.
Old 13 September 2017, 10:49 PM

Can we amend that to say that an unsolicited disclaimer implies guilt? For example, if you tell an outrageous but true story and someone says that you made it up, you can state that it is true without falling into that rule?

GenYus' corollary to the pinqy rule of Contrary Statements is that the number of times the disclaimer is repeated is the power of the magnitude of the falsehood it disclaims.

IE, Trump's "Trust me. Trust me." means the preceding statement is 4 times farther from the truth.
Old 14 September 2017, 01:50 AM

Mouse

That does go along with another rule I have, regarding life, pinqy: If you have to loudly proclaim a virtue (like you are so tolerant, or you're such a Nice Guy™, or whatever), chances are pretty good that you suck at said virtue. As a general rule, no good comes of statements beginning with "I'm not a X, but..."

Another rule I have: when a scandal hits a figure on the Christian Right, it will invariably involve sex. The Christian Right is willing to forgive a lot, so long as sex isn't involved.
Old 14 September 2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Another rule I have: when a scandal hits a figure on the Christian Right, it will invariably involve sex. The Christian Right is willing to forgive a lot, so long as sex isn't involved.
I don't disagree that the scandal will be about sex, but I do disagree that they are in any way less likely to forgive when sex is involved. Case in point: Donald Trump and his strong support from the Christian right.
Old 02 October 2017, 03:45 AM

Canada

Update: Jagmeet Singh just won the federal NDP leadership race.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...hip/ar-AAsIPEZ
Old 02 October 2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
That does go along with another rule I have, regarding life, pinqy: If you have to loudly proclaim a virtue (like you are so tolerant, or you're such a Nice Guy™, or whatever), chances are pretty good that you suck at said virtue.
I have a rule, too, that if someone informs me they are a good Christian, they usually aren’t.
Old 02 October 2017, 11:10 PM

If they have to tell you, it means that their actions don't so indicate.
Old 03 October 2017, 07:01 PM

Throw Tomato

Elizabeth May Tells Jagmeet Singh That Prime Ministers In Canada Aren't Elected

Quote:
Shortly after he was declared the federal NDP's new leader Sunday, Jagmeet Singh announced to his party's supporters that he was officially kicking off his "campaign" to be the next prime minister of Canada.

On Twitter, Singh's team sent out snippets of his speech from his account,{..}

That apparently didn't sit well with Green Party Leader Elizabeth May, who hours later tweeted at the Ontario MPP to remind him the government's top job is not an elected one.

"I welcome you to federal politics and hope 4 friendship," May wrote, "but Canada does not elect Prime Ministers."
Oh, boy... That just came out sounding petty, Elizabeth!