snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 18 January 2018, 03:43 AM

Reporter President Trump’s ‘Highly-Anticipated 2017 Fake News Awards’ Winners Finally Revealed

The long-awaited reveal was a list of stories about Trump that were corrected or retracted by the media, but no actual awards.

https://www.snopes.com/2018/01/17/pr...ally-revealed/
Old 18 January 2018, 04:11 AM

Since this isn't in Snopes Spotting, I'm just going to assume and skip the article.
Old 18 January 2018, 02:06 PM

A couple things:

1) Surprisingly, most of these were about demonstrably false (erroneous) anti-Trump reporting. Unsurprisingly, the quickly issued retractions or corrections were ignored.

2) He lies in the first entry! "historic, landslide victory?" Dude, you lost the popular vote, and your margin of electoral victory is ranked 46th.
Old 19 January 2018, 02:33 AM

Mouse

I suppose it's too much to hope for, but I'm a bit disappointed that this was just a list on a website and not an actual formal awards show. I'm picturing it now, journalists and pundits walking the red carpet, dressing in gowns and tuxes. They have presenters read the names and categories, and we cut to the nominees sitting in the theatre, crossing their fingers, hoping they win in their category. And when they do, they cheer and hug their spouses, then go up and make the obligatory award speeches where they thank everyone they've ever interacted with. The speeches will likely be all, "I'd like to think my sense of ethics for insisting that I report on the news, even if Our God-Emperor Donald deems it inaccurate. I will also like to think Fox News for continually fellating his ego (literally and figuratively), lest the Great and Mighty Trump question his actions. And let us thank Twitter for serving as the Mount Sinai from which Donald Trump may proclaimeth his mighty and infalliable wisdom."

I haven't decided what they'd do if the award-winners talk to long, whether the orchestra will start playing or what, but there will be snazzy dance numbers that emulate the spirit of the Fake News in question. So there will be a number with a dancing Japanese Prime Minister and POTUS surrounded by people in koi costumes.
Old 19 January 2018, 07:46 AM

Whalephant

Stephen Colbert must be crushed.
Old 19 January 2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Samantha Bee even practiced her acceptance speech!

[slight hijack]I worked for a little while with her mother[/slight hijack]
Old 19 January 2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Not really. He announced on the Late Show that the program had won an award, then admitted he lied.

~Psihala
Old 21 January 2018, 03:56 AM

Mouse

I remain somewhat disappointed by the announcement. I know it was too much to hope for a formal ceremony like I suggested in my original post, but just a list? C'mon, Trump, you could have printed up some certificates?
Old 21 January 2018, 04:05 AM

That would have required effort on his part, and we know about how much effort he puts into things.
Old 21 January 2018, 08:36 AM

Icon06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I suppose it's too much to hope for, but I'm a bit disappointed that this was just a list on a website and not an actual formal awards show.
Everyone's worst nightmare: send out invitations and no one comes to the party. This way there are no invitations to ignore/decline/mock.

There is plenty of other material for mocking, sadly.
Old 21 January 2018, 07:12 PM

United States

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/21/politi...ter/index.html

So, the President wants Mitch McConnell to use the "nuclear" option to break the shutdown deadlock.

Given that he used the nuclear option for the Tax Reform, and he is planning on using it to end the shutdown, I think that means that anyone can use the nuclear option at impeachment time.
Old 21 January 2018, 07:29 PM

The tax bill was not passed using the "nuclear option." They used the "Byrd rule," which requires a bunch of criteria to be met. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...form-byrd-rule

The nuclear option can't just be invoked. It requires a vote--just a straight majority vote, but I don't think they would have the votes for it. Too many senators actually understand the reasons for having a rule that requires 60 votes in the Senate for legislation to pass. And they know they would be giving up the one power that the minority party has to have some influence on legislation. McConnell is opposed to it. http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...t-debate?amp=1

ETA: They used it for Gorsuch's confirmation.

Last edited by erwins; 21 January 2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 21 January 2018, 10:00 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
ETA: They used it for Gorsuch's confirmation.
Thank you, I knew they used it for some purpose already.

Some analyst was talking about how this would be the second time in a year it was used (not allowed by current rules) and I assumed it was for the tax bill.

I am much wiser now.