snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 28 December 2017, 02:17 PM

Tantrum Roy Moore files complaint to block AL senate race result

So says CNN.

I understand the need for a recount when the vote margin is super thin, such as in the Virginia House of Delegates race that had a margin of one vote, but the article says that Moore lost by 20,000 votes.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 28 December 2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 28 December 2017, 02:19 PM

But clearly the only possible way he could have lost is because the other side cheated. There is no other reasonable explanation.
Old 28 December 2017, 02:25 PM

Icon18

So my little side trip to Alabama late last month has paid off! Excellent!
Old 28 December 2017, 02:48 PM

He might be trying to delay Jones' being seated as long as possible, so as to delay weakening Republicans in the Senate.

Or I might be trying to apply too much logic to this.

-- I was particularly struck by this bit in the article:

Quote:
Moore's complaint also alleged "anomalous" higher voter turnout in Jefferson County, in which census data shows 43% of the population is black. He called the county's 47% voter turnout as "highly unusual" and questioned the integrity of its election results.
"Black people are showing up to vote! Something must be wrong!"
Old 28 December 2017, 02:52 PM

I am no fan of the Daily Mail but I have to admit I loved their headline about this: Accused child molester Roy Moore sues over Alabama loss as he charges voter fraud cost.... None of the US based headlines I saw felt they needed to remind their readers of at least one reason Moore lost in the first place. And should have lost by a lot more!

Last edited by Sue; 28 December 2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 28 December 2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
He might be trying to delay Jones' being seated as long as possible, so as to delay weakening Republicans in the Senate.

Or I might be trying to apply too much logic to this.

-- I was particularly struck by this bit in the article:

"Black people are showing up to vote! Something must be wrong!"
We should institute a poll tax, or something, to keep THEMS from voting.

My black cousin voluntarily moved his family to Tuscaloosa (he is some kind of crazy engineer, used to work at Sikorsky). And his white wife had to house hunt alone because NOBODY would sell to a mixed-race couple. In 2009. He regrets it, immensely, because while he is making a good living for his family, he has to deal with his children being taught that they are "less-than." His daughter's preschool teacher called her Hybrid, instead of her given name, and when they complained to the principal, he said "well she is, isn't she?"
Barf barf barf.
Old 28 December 2017, 06:01 PM

Baseball

I watched the panel on CNN today in preparation for the certification of the election results.

It followed a crazy Moore staffer who crowed the Attorney General's phone number for people to call and call for a delay in certification.

One analyst had the most logical explanation of why Moore's campaign is doing this without evidence. Simply, they did not anticipate it, and it does not give a result they were looking for. Therefore, it must have been done through fraudulent activity.

His words were more elegant, "They lost, and mathematically, fraud could have swayed the vote, therefore we need the fraud investigated".

A while later, the Attorney General for Alabama was on and when asked about fraud, he brought up 4 examples that were investigated. Three of them were memes that were circulating on Facebook that had been reported and had been debunked here. The fourth was someone reporting a Jones staffer for being a transplant, when it turns out he had lived longer than required, registered and voted in Alabama.

And as I sit here, I am hearing that the vote has been certified.
Old 28 December 2017, 07:26 PM

Teacher Alabama makes Jones win official as Moore’s last-ditch challenge fails

Alabama officials certified the results of its special Senate election Thursday, officially naming Democrat Doug Jones the victor not long after a judge rejected a last-minute challenge from Republican Roy Moore.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...-fraud-n833221
Old 28 December 2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
One analyst had the most logical explanation of why Moore's campaign is doing this without evidence. Simply, they did not anticipate it, and it does not give a result they were looking for. Therefore, it must have been done through fraudulent activity.
About the same evidence we have the fraud cost Trump the popular vote win. After all, he's a WINNER, so by definition, any result that shows him not winning must be fake news.

Glad to see Alabama getting things over with. While there are doubtless angry Moore supporters who will continue to blame everything but their candidate and God, I suspect there are other conservatives relieved to have dodged a bullet.
Old 29 December 2017, 12:53 PM

Baseball

In doing more reading, I was surprised to see that after the military and provisional ballots were counted, Jones' margin of victory was even greater.

So, Moore's position to wait until those ballots were counted would come to naught anyways.

Now that Moore is no longer a threat, I can treat him like I want to. A crazy old man whose antics can keep me entertained.
Old 30 December 2017, 01:52 AM

Mouse

Feel free. That may be the best approach to Moore. Like all posturing blowhards, he can handle anything, except people taking the piss out of him. As soon as he lost, he immediately became as thin-skinned as he often accused others of being. It’s always about Projection on The Right.
Old 02 January 2018, 10:20 PM

Spit Take

Granted it's Fox, and I didn't even bother to read the story, but I loved the headline:

Roy Moore's Jewish lawyer voted for Doug Jones, raised money for his campaign
Old 03 January 2018, 04:56 PM

Icon19

Well I guess some of the attorney's best friends are Democrats.