snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 24 December 2017, 03:57 PM

Baseball President Trump finishes out the year at Mar-a-Lago, tax reform accomplished

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-m...hristmas-trip/

Quote:
President Trump kicked off his holiday weekend at Mar-a-Lago Friday night at a dinner where he told friends, "You all just got a lot richer," referencing the sweeping tax overhaul he signed into law hours earlier.
Bolding mine.

At least he's not ashamed to admit his intentions around friends.

According to CNN too, yesterday was his 107th day of his Presidency at a Trump property. That is one day on a Trump property for every 3.1 days of his Presidency.

I suspect that he is billing the taxpayer for the coffee.
Old 24 December 2017, 04:14 PM

There had been a lot of talk about how it would be advantageous to wait until the new year to sign the tax bill into law, but he said he turned on the TV and someone was saying "will be do it?" and pointing out that he had said he would have it done before Christmas. So he immediately said they needed to sign it right away. Emotionally, he is such a child.
Old 24 December 2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I suspect that he is billing the taxpayer for the coffee.
At $20/cup.

Plus the massive amount of free advertising for his business. I would love to see a list of people that have become members of Mar-a-Lago since Jan. 1. Reports from earlier this year put the yearly membership fees at the resort at more than $200,000. And it is likely that members are claiming the fees as business expenses on their taxes.
Old 26 December 2017, 03:36 PM

Well, being as Trump is such a paragon of integrity, at least I'm sure we don't have to worry at all that resort members get shown any favoritism when it comes to awarding government contracts or anything.
Old 27 December 2017, 11:52 AM

Frying Pan

Of course not! Jeeze, some people are soooo cynical!
Old 28 December 2017, 02:33 AM

Didn't the orange idiot once claim that his friends were angry at him because they would be worse off under his tax scam?
Old 28 December 2017, 03:35 AM

Probably. I know he's claimed that they weren't going to benefit from it more than once.
Old 28 December 2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
President Trump kicked off his holiday weekend at Mar-a-Lago Friday night at a dinner where he told friends, "You all just got a lot richer," referencing the sweeping tax overhaul he signed into law hours earlier.
As he was speaking Xmas eve I can't help but thinking "... and there wasn't a single carpenter in the audience."
Old 28 December 2017, 08:14 PM

Donald Trump Did Not Play Golf Today

Just ask him.
Old 28 December 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Didn't the orange idiot once claim that his friends were angry at him because they would be worse off under his tax scam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Probably. I know he's claimed that they weren't going to benefit from it more than once.
I have heard him say that specifically, they would be angry. Not that it matters what he says mind you. His word is apparently worth less than a kick to the teeth - not very useful. The way he lies, if he says it, the opposite is more likely to be true.
Old 29 December 2017, 01:50 PM

I just want out. Spending so much time in Belgium, with sane world leaders, I find I just cannot anymore with the US. I know this is abandoning my country, but my country doesn't give a shit about me anymore. My own parents said they want "people like me" (democrats) gone.
Old 30 December 2017, 01:49 AM

Mouse

I understand, Plurabelle. Overseas Snopesters, if any of you are looking to make some good money, you probably could do so, by setting up immigration packages for desperate Americans.
Old 30 December 2017, 02:59 AM

I ain't going nowhere. It's my country too.

(Waves flag. Along with signs, at protest marches.)
Old 30 December 2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I understand, Plurabelle. Overseas Snopesters, if any of you are looking to make some good money, you probably could do so, by setting up immigration packages for desperate Americans.
Well I have a spare room.
Old 30 December 2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Americans, no matter where they live, have to file income tax returns, until they give up their citizenship. Same applies for green card holders.*

It's not possible to escape.

* It may be possible to avoid filing, but I'm not familiar with the "Who must file" part of the 1040 form. According to the on-line form, it takes 12 minutes to figure it out.
Old 30 December 2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
Americans, no matter where they live, have to file income tax returns, until they give up their citizenship. Same applies for green card holders.*

Going out on a limb here, but even if a US citizen gives up US citizenship, if the source of the income is the United States, I believe they may still have a US Federal income tax liability on that income

It may also depend on the tax treaties, if any, between the United States and country of new citizenship.

Quote:

It's not possible to escape.

* It may be possible to avoid filing, but I'm not familiar with the "Who must file" part of the 1040 form. According to the on-line form, it takes 12 minutes to figure it out.
One aspect of the Fair Tax concept that isn't brought up very much is the idea that under that plan, essentially a Federal sales tax, those US citizens who live outside the United States and have a positive Federal income tax under the current tax law, would no longer pay any Federal income tax substitute under Fair Tax, unless that US citizen comes back to the United States and purchases something subject to the Fair Tax.

It also isn't clear if, under Fair Tax, that US citizens who live outside the United States would be eligible for the Fair Tax prebate.
Old 30 December 2017, 09:52 PM

Icon605

Quote:
Filing a return is not necessarily the same as paying taxes. When I was living in Germany, I paid Germany's income tax. but only had to file a return to the IRS to tell them I was making my income elsewhere.

As long as my residency remained outside the US for that tax year, and I didn't make more than X equivalent of $75,000 US dollars (no problem there), I paid no US taxes for those years.

~Psihala