Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 24 October 2017, 01:04 PM

1. Bull Moose.

2. Tires.

3. Shrimp.

4. Thomas Harris.

5. Russia.

6. Stevie Wonder?

7. Each featured a killer weather balloon.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
I had to search quite a bit to find out that Berlin's Tegel airport is named after Otto Lilienthal.
So had I. It was mentioned in Wikipedia, though.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series? All Creatures Great and Small, Big Little Lies, Ed, The Flintstones, Hill Street Blues, Newhart, The Prisoner, The Sopranos, Starsky & Hutch, That '70s Show, 13 Reasons Why, Who's the Boss? Quite the assortment! Maybe something about...[/COLOR]
I think you're right. Theopenings feature someone driving.
Old 24 October 2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think you're right.
I wonder if Police Squad would count?
Old 24 October 2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I think you're right. Theopenings feature someone driving.
Is that true of 13 Reasons Why? And if that is the answer, it would also include (IMS) Alice, Mary Tyler Moore, probbaly some others if I think about it.
Old 24 October 2017, 02:55 PM

Goldfish

Quote:
1. What nickname did the Progressive Party adopt in 1912 when Theodore Roosevelt compared himself to a hard-to-kill animal after surviving an assassination attempt?

2. What part of an airplane are the chocks placed on?

3. According to Bubba in the movie Forrest Gump, what is "the fruit of the sea"?

4. What first and last name are shared by two writers, respectively one of the most iconic American authors of the 1970s (I'm OK, You're OK) and of the 1980s (The Silence of the Lambs)?

5. What country is divided into 85 "federal subjects," 46 of which are oblasts?

6. Who's the only star from the early 1960s heyday of Motown who was still making records on the label into the 21st century?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series? All Creatures Great and Small, Big Little Lies, Ed, The Flintstones, Hill Street Blues, Newhart, The Prisoner, The Sopranos, Starsky & Hutch, That '70s Show, 13 Reasons Why, Who's the Boss?
1. Bull Moose
2. Wheels
3. Shrimp
4. Thomas Harris
5. Russia
6. Stevie Wonder?
7. No idea
Old 24 October 2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Is that true of 13 Reasons Why? And if that is the answer, it would also include (IMS) Alice, Mary Tyler Moore, probbaly some others if I think about it.
Yeah, I was thinking of other shows like The Dukes of Hazzard that would be included. So I suppose it isn't all that unusual.
Old 24 October 2017, 03:40 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What nickname did the Progressive Party adopt in 1912 when Theodore Roosevelt compared himself to a hard-to-kill animal after surviving an assassination attempt?
Bull Moose Party.
Quote:

Tires, although as I understand it, the chocks are actually placed in front and behind them, which I don't think qualifies as "on", in which case they might be talking about the levers in the cockpit that control the engines.
Quote:

3. According to Bubba in the movie Forrest Gump, what is "the fruit of the sea"?
Never saw it, and this is not a quote I've heard often enough to place it. I'll say lobster because I can't not answer.
Quote:

4. What first and last name are shared by two writers, respectively one of the most iconic American authors of the 1970s (I'm OK, You're OK) and of the 1980s (The Silence of the Lambs)?
You mean they're not the same person? Wayne something (can't think of a surname).
Quote:

Greece.
Quote:

6. Who's the only star from the early 1960s heyday of Motown who was still making records on the label into the 21st century?
Smokey Robinson.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV series? All Creatures Great and Small, Big Little Lies, Ed, The Flintstones, Hill Street Blues, Newhart, The Prisoner, The Sopranos, Starsky & Hutch, That '70s Show, 13 Reasons Why, Who's the Boss?
They all make reference to previous TV series staring the same actor during their final episode.

Seaboe
Old 24 October 2017, 04:03 PM

Baseball

1. Only name I associate with him is Rough Riders

2. Wheels.

3. Shrimp. Or Prawns for those who speak a different style of English.

4. Silence of the Lambs is written by Thomas Harris, I know that. I assume the other book's author has the same name.

5. I believe that is Russia

6. Good golly, I hope it is Little Richard

7. All had characters that used their real first names as character names.

Last week I was a solid goose egg, I think I'm 3-4 this week.
Old 24 October 2017, 08:48 PM

Glasses

Could it be characters jumping into cars? I think I remember the opening of Starsky & Hutch and Who's the Boss? having that, but I know that The Flintstones does. Yabba Dadda Doo!
Old 25 October 2017, 12:14 AM

Morning, then I'd definitely expect The Dukes of Hazzard.
And on the Sopranos, Tony is in the car for the whole opening,
Old 25 October 2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Morning, then I'd definitely expect
The question doesn't say the list is exclusive, only unusual.
Old 31 October 2017, 12:50 PM

Happy Hallowe'en!

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

The Bull Moose Party. I guess if the assassin's bullet had been a few inches closer to Roosevelt's heart, they would have had to choose a much less resilient animal.

Chocks are those wedges you put on wheels so they don't roll.

There's, uh, shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich.

This is the not the same Thomas Harris.

Several Eastern European countries and former Soviet republics still have oblasts, but only Russia has this many.

Stevie Wonder released his first record, 1962's The Jazz Soul of Little Stevie, on Motown's Tamla label. And even after all his labelmates left in the 1970s, he stayed. His latest album, 2005's A Time to Love, was also a Motown record.

The show opening (credits sequence) of all these series followed a car headed somewhere. I do feel sort of bad about Who's the Boss?, though. Not just because it wasn't very funny, I feel bad about it on this list. First of all, the vehicle in those credits was a van, not a car. Secondly, the van pulls up to the house very early in the opening sequence and the rest of the credits are set inside. It's kind of a Full House situation.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. On October 31, 2001, Massachusetts governor Jane Swift signed a bill exonerating the last five women still officially implicated in what event?

2. Which TV host of yesteryear wrote the memoirs Wunnerful, Wunnerful! and Ah-One, Ah-Two!: Life with My Musical Family?

3. The region of Calabria is what anatomical part of the "boot" of Italy?

4. What author of The Ego and the Mechanisms of Defence was the youngest daughter of the author of "The Splitting of the Ego in the Process of Defence"?

5. In 1839, the world's first steamship driven by a screw propeller was named, appropriately, after what man who had died two thousand years earlier?

6. In the organization's official logo, the words "The Salvation Army" appear on what object?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these fruits and vegetables, and no others? Almonds, apples, apricots, asparagus, bananas, corn, eggplants, lemons, mangos, melons, mulberries, olives, peaches, strawberries, tangerines.

Enjoy!
Old 31 October 2017, 01:27 PM

1. The Salem Witch Trials I guess.
2. No idea
3. Accidentally looked this up when the question made me want to look at Italy on Google Maps. My answer (which I thought was right) would have been wrong.
4. Sigmund Freud has lots of relatives who are well-known in their own right (in the UK anyway) but I don't know this one specifically.
5. Archimedes.
6. A trumpet, I think.

For number seven, "and no other" is a very definite thing to say about a subject as wide-ranging as fruits and vegetables. So I don't think it can be a property of the fruits and vegetables themselves. (Or of their names, which I wondered about...) It must be some sort of finite list that they're all on. They've all won the annual "World's Best Fruit Or Vegetable" competition since it started 15 years ago, or something.
Old 31 October 2017, 01:53 PM

1. The Salem Witch Trials
2. Lawrence Welk
4. Sigmund Freud?
5. Archimedes
Old 31 October 2017, 02:02 PM

4 is probably Anna Freud.
6 A shield?
Old 31 October 2017, 03:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. On October 31, 2001, Massachusetts governor Jane Swift signed a bill exonerating the last five women still officially implicated in what event?
The Salem Witch trials. I mean, what else? It is Halloween.
Quote:

2. Which TV host of yesteryear wrote the memoirs Wunnerful, Wunnerful! and Ah-One, Ah-Two!: Life with My Musical Family?
Lawrence Welk of somewhere not very special, the U.S. (despite his strange accent, he was not an immigrant).
Quote:

I suppose it could be the ankle, but I'm going to say the heel anyway.
Quote:

4. What author of The Ego and the Mechanisms of Defence was the youngest daughter of the author of "The Splitting of the Ego in the Process of Defence"?
Someone surnamed Freud. Don't know her first name.
Quote:

5. In 1839, the world's first steamship driven by a screw propeller was named, appropriately, after what man who had died two thousand years earlier?
Archimedes.
Quote:

6. In the organization's official logo, the words "The Salvation Army" appear on what object?
A shield. Are we supposed to specify what part?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these fruits and vegetables, and no others? Almonds, apples, apricots, asparagus, bananas, corn, eggplants, lemons, mangos, melons, mulberries, olives, peaches, strawberries, tangerines.
Well, they're not all in the rose family (although peaches & strawberries [and possibly apricots] are), they don't all have pits, they don't all reproduce asexually, they don't all grow on vines (or trees). Someone else will have to say what they do have in common.

Seaboe
Old 31 October 2017, 03:49 PM

Witch

Quote:

1. Salem Witch Trials
2. Mr. Rogers?
3. The toe. Thanks, random maps that appear in every pizza joint I've ever eaten at!
4. Some young Freud whose name I don't know
5. Archimedes
6. A shield
7. They have to be pollinated artificially?
Old 31 October 2017, 04:10 PM

OnlyHere4KJT: re #7, no, that's not it.

When I first saw that was a fruit-and-vegetable question, I thought aha! here's one for me! but I've got no idea at all. I don't think it can be anything botanical, though, as any such thing shared by that very wide list would also be shared by a number of other plants much more closely related to one of the plants on the list.
Old 31 October 2017, 04:20 PM

Yes, that's what I thought too, thorny locust. For him to say "and no other" it has to be something for which there's a definite, finite list. Otherwise we'll all be spending next week thinking of counter-examples!

(eta) The available flavours of a particular brand, or something like that? "Tangerines" is also very specific, rather than "satsumas" or even just oranges in general...