snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 21 December 2017, 02:16 PM

Jaded

Don't forget the third party voters who really get pissy when it's implied that just maybe they helped cheeto face win. I've had to take the facebook app. off my phone completely because my BFF is one of those third party folks (total Bernie fan girl). I avoid FB for the most part anyway, but I had a work place related page that I kept track of. I needed room on my phone, so I deleted the app. If workplace needs me to know something I'm there 30+ hours a week. Anyway, every time BFF would pop up I couldn't resist looking...like an accident on the freeway, it had to stop.

My sister keeps getting sucked into the crazy (on facebook) that my friend and her group spout. I keep telling my sis to just block them because they don't and won't ever get it. I quit even discussing the whole thing with my BFF when she told me Elizabeth Warren was a "Turn Coat" and used the phrase "False Flag". I seriously doubt BFF is even using the common definition of false flag. I really don't know what she thinks it means; I don't think I really want to know.
Old 21 December 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Agreed.

On some small level, I empathize with Trump voters in that many of them do have legitimate issues that warrant being addressed and they are getting used and screwed over by Trump and the GOP. But my sympathy for them ends pretty quick, because they had no problem with voting to screw over anyone they don’t like.
I felt like that at first when I was reading an article about why poorer people voted for Trump - they were gleeful that his win meant jobs for them and they would get health insurance through work so they didn't care if "Obamacare" got scrapped. Like I said at first I was sympathetic and sorry that they voted for a delusion. But the sympathy ended when the penny dropped and I realized that despite coping with poverty, or certainly, hard times, they didn't give a good goddamn about others who might not get that helping hand from the benevolent Trump. They could lose their health insurance and it wouldn't matter. UGh.
Old 21 December 2017, 10:04 PM

I forget who originated the statement, Will Rogers I think but it goes sort of like this - The US doesn't have any proletariat, just a lot of temporarily inconvenienced millionaires.
Old 22 December 2017, 01:34 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I felt like that at first when I was reading an article about why poorer people voted for Trump - they were gleeful that his win meant jobs for them and they would get health insurance through work so they didn't care if "Obamacare" got scrapped. Like I said at first I was sympathetic and sorry that they voted for a delusion. But the sympathy ended when the penny dropped and I realized that despite coping with poverty, or certainly, hard times, they didn't give a good goddamn about others who might not get that helping hand from the benevolent Trump. They could lose their health insurance and it wouldn't matter. UGh.
And as my previous post mentioned, Trump voters may have voted for him for a lot of reasons, but economic issues weren’t the chief reason.

I probably shouldn’t have posted that link, but I’ve made it my mission to spread it far and wide, to drive a stake through the heart of that BS. Again the working class mostly went for Hillary, whereas Trump’s voters tended to be mostly White and wealthy.
Old 22 December 2017, 04:06 PM

Default There Is No Ban on Words at the CDC

The story of the language rules at CDC has quickly broken free of underlying facts. Despite what you may have heard, the alleged “ban” of seven words does not reveal a secret “War on Science” carried out by thought police in Washington; nor is it some evil plot to “enforce a political and ideological agenda,” as the Washington Post editorial board suggested. A more sober measure of this soggy crumb of news—one that’s, well, evidence-based rather than reflexive—suggests it should be understood as a byproduct of the Trump administration’s much-less-secret war on science funding. It appears that the ban is an attempt by bureaucrats to save their favorite projects from unforgiving budget cuts.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...t_the_cdc.html