snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 03 April 2007, 01:16 AM

Icon02 TeleTech/Verizon exit interview

Old 03 April 2007, 01:46 AM

I know that the TeleTech branch in town has a contract with Verizon, I can poke around with some people I know that have worked there to see if they know of any rumours.

ETA: Based on stories I've heard of working for TeleTech, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were real.

ETFA: Having checked with a friend of mine who worked for TeleTech in the past, this would indeed be from the local branch as it's the only location that handles Verizon support.

Last edited by TwoGuyswithaHat; 03 April 2007 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03 April 2007, 01:57 AM

To be honest, the statements reflect that this guy is not cut out for helpdesk anyway. He may be a more knowledgeable PC guru who thought a helpdesk job would tide him over or something. Sysadmins and programmers make incredibly bad helpdeskers. Completely different roles.

The answer to 16 makes me think it's probably not fake. If you've been there a month anyway, do you really care about answering their exit questions fairly? I can see this happening.
Old 03 April 2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithaHat View Post
I know that the TeleTech branch in town has a contract with Verizon, I can poke around with some people I know that have worked there to see if they know of any rumours.

ETA: Based on stories I've heard of working for TeleTech, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were real.

ETFA: Having checked with a friend of mine who worked for TeleTech in the past, this would indeed be from the local branch as it's the only location that handles Verizon support.
The Teletech here also handles some Verizon support as far as i know.
Old 03 April 2007, 12:16 PM

Seems odd that his supervisor is only referred to as "Dale", rather than his full name, even in the line where he has to name his manager - maybe not though.
Old 03 April 2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Seems odd that his supervisor is only referred to as "Dale", rather than his full name, even in the line where he has to name his manager - maybe not though.
When I worked in a call center, I did not know most of the supervisor's full names, not even the one to whom I directly reported.
Old 03 April 2007, 01:38 PM

Icon18

The whole ting seems fake to me. In the 10 years I've worked for VZ, I've never heard of an exit interview. It's possible that this guy was management, but I boubt it.

Other than that, his answers to 13 & 16 seem like an apt description of the company and most of my coworkers.
Old 03 April 2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Well, he is referred to as "Dale?", so whoever wrote it possibly didn't really know the name.
Old 03 April 2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcm View Post
The Teletech here also handles some Verizon support as far as i know.
It is possible, I'm working only on information from a friend of mine who worked for TeleTech and I've been wrong before. . . far too often. I think I notice a pattern developing here

I would however lean towards the OP being of local origin if it is real if only for reference in question 17 to Canadians handling customer service for Americans. Though that's not to say that it is definitively local as there are seven other TeleTech locations in Canada.

I had an interview last summer with TeleTech*, they were rather loathe to tell me which contract they handled at that location until I had the job so I imagine it would be rather difficult to figure out what the other six locations in Canada handle, but I will continue my search.

*I got the job and ultimately turned it down.

ETA: According to this cached press release from TeleTech, the Sudbury location of TeleTech handles PeoplePC customer support though it is a nearly seven year old press release and the contract may have changed since then.

Last edited by TwoGuyswithaHat; 03 April 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03 April 2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
The whole ting seems fake to me. In the 10 years I've worked for VZ, I've never heard of an exit interview. It's possible that this guy was management, but I boubt it.
I worked for a couple of years for a hospital, and never heard of exit interviews until I quit, and was given the form to fill out. I looked it over, saw that there were essay questions and said I'd bring it back later. I never did.

I started to fill it out, in more or less the same style that "Tom" did with his Verizon form, but I threw it away.

My impression is that Tom did something similar, and scanned the copy to email to his friends, or post on his blog. I doubt that he turned this in to HR.
Old 03 April 2007, 06:03 PM
Class Bravo

Exit interviews are pretty common in my experience. I had to do one at all the jobs I had through high school. Some of them were actual face-to-face interviews while some of them were just to be filled out like the one in the OP (though I never turned in one as interesting as the one in this thread).
Old 03 April 2007, 07:22 PM

Having done some more searches, the author of this website claims to be the author of the exit interview in the OP.
Old 05 April 2007, 02:30 AM
bjohn13

One thing to keep in mind is that if this is indeed real, then some serious privacy laws and rules of conduct were breached by allowing this to be released to the public (unless the guy who wrote it is is the one who breached it, and then motivation adds incredulity).
Old 05 April 2007, 03:31 AM
songs78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohn13 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that if this is indeed real, then some serious privacy laws and rules of conduct were breached by allowing this to be released to the public (unless the guy who wrote it is is the one who breached it, and then motivation adds incredulity).
What privacy laws? It's not defamation because the words were written by the person whose privacy was supposedly violated.
Old 05 April 2007, 05:12 AM

if you read some of his rantings (which are quite amusing) He mentions snopes.com in the one about myspace killing the internet!

Hmm...wonder if he's a member and hasn't fessed up.
Old 05 April 2007, 06:38 PM
Van_Couver

Icon108

Quote:
Working in aboute the same kind of work and one of the first things that we were told was that everybody was first name. Which is actually is at our place.

For the rest. I have to say that some replys did read painfully familiar. As crude as the alernative for reason why he was leaving was told. You do get tired of explaining to customer on a daily basis that their operation system is not Chilligreen, Norton Security, Messenger, Our office name...usw
Old 06 April 2007, 07:54 PM

Kinda glad I never returned the call I got after applying to the one on the mainland. I find most call centers won't tell you what contracts they have or what they involve, it's usually word of mouth. That's how I got this job. Switching accounts at the end of this month... kind of nervous since this one involves.... you guessed it... upselling. But, there's enough demand in my current contract that I could probably come back if I couldn't deal with this new one. But I'd be on a crappier shift.
Old 06 April 2007, 08:31 PM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by songs78 View Post
What privacy laws? It's not defamation because the words were written by the person whose privacy was supposedly violated.
I believe it is the privacy of the company that is being violated. If something like this was to get out where I work, someone would lose his/her job and likely be the subject of a lawsuit (of course, there would also be some fine print somewhere on the form that stated such, but the topic of many a meeting has been the fact that the absense of such a disclaimer does not hold the one who leaks such information without liability).
Old 06 April 2007, 08:44 PM
songs78

Companies don't have a right to privacy.

You might be thinking of trade secrets. But in this case, it wouldn't be entitled to trade secret protection because there is no value attached to this information.