snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 10 September 2007, 10:08 PM

Spit Take Exit 329

Comment: This one is floating around the internet. I can verify that the sign in the picture exists at around mile marker 337 on Interstate 80 (near Buford, Wyoming) as the barn in the background is mine. I am curious if the message really was there. I can also tell you that the exit 329 was closed for much of the summer of 2006.

Old 10 September 2007, 11:01 PM
Cherished Emerald

Personally, the setup of the image puts me in mind of something like Church Sign Generator.

I'm guessing that we're meant to assume that someone took a photo from their car as they were coming up to the sign, which seems highly unlikely to me. Mainly because, at the speeds that cars travel on big roads like that (when they're uncongested, at least!), by the time someone is close enough to see what the sign says, they simply wouldn't have enough time to get their camera out and snap it. Plus there doesn't look to be any blurring that one would expect from a photo taken whilst moving at a fairly quick speed.

Though, I am not an expert on images and PhotoShopping, etc, and I always rather hope that these kind of pictures turn out to be real, just for the sheer amusement
Old 10 September 2007, 11:09 PM

I highly doubt this happened in Wyoming. It most likely would have been in the papers in some form or another and I don't remember ever seeing it. I have seen this picture several times though, as usual it was said to be in state X, or Y.

That said, the area behind the sign does look kinda like the Veedavoo climbing area near Laramie but I don't recall that Large barn there right next to the interstate.

edited to add: I also don't see this Large barn on google earth, scanned the map for quite a ways on either side of this town.

Last edited by Muadan; 10 September 2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10 September 2007, 11:28 PM

It looks photoshopped. Notice the blurring around some of the letters and the 'E', 'L' and 'P' in HELP don't line up.
Old 10 September 2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherished Emerald View Post
I'm guessing that we're meant to assume that someone took a photo from their car as they were coming up to the sign, which seems highly unlikely to me. Mainly because, at the speeds that cars travel on big roads like that (when they're uncongested, at least!), by the time someone is close enough to see what the sign says, they simply wouldn't have enough time to get their camera out and snap it. Plus there doesn't look to be any blurring that one would expect from a photo taken whilst moving at a fairly quick speed.
On an uncongested road it would be extremely easy to make a U-turn and return to a spot, camera prepared, in order to take a picture. However, assuming that's the case, I find it odd that this photo has no dead bugs or winshield reflections marring it.

But the fact that the letters don't line up is a bigger tip-off.
Old 11 September 2007, 01:41 AM
Lady Neeva

No idea about the sign's veracity, but as to taking pictures from a moving car -- my camera isn't even very good (standard point and shoot digital, it was top of the line... about 8 years ago LOL) and my husband managed to take a picture of a water bottle on someones back bumper while driving on I-25 last year.

Why he thought it was funny enough to take a picture while driving I'll never know... I was actually a little annoyed, considering that he was supposed to be DRIVING not playing Ansel Adams.
Old 11 September 2007, 01:46 PM

Driver

It could've been the passenger that took the picture. Though I wouldn't put it past some people to drive and click, since I was almost run off the road by a truck entering the interstate with the driver reading a map, talking on a phone, and writing on a pad of paper on the dash.
Old 11 September 2007, 02:00 PM

From Rocky Mountain Roads

This

appears to be the original image. Same cars, same clouds, same sign, different message.

Gibbie
Old 11 September 2007, 02:58 PM

While it is most likely fake, those message boards are actually quite easy to crack and play with. Many howto's floating around; just really requires some basic knowledge, and the willingness to accept that you are messing with federal/state property to change.
Old 11 September 2007, 03:21 PM
Bee

Well, the sign in Gibbie's photo clearly has one line fewer than the sign in the OP. That seems to seal it as fake, yes?

Bee (Why yes, in my other life, I AM known as Captain Obvious, why do you ask?)
Old 11 September 2007, 03:44 PM
Trixie Tang

Quote:
Personally, the setup of the image puts me in mind of something like Church Sign Generator.
Cute. I dig that site.
Old 11 September 2007, 04:49 PM
Griffin2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Well, the sign in Gibbie's photo clearly has one line fewer than the sign in the OP. That seems to seal it as fake, yes?

Bee (Why yes, in my other life, I AM known as Captain Obvious, why do you ask?)
Didn't you know that the signs will increase their length as the message gets longer...it is amazing!
Old 11 September 2007, 10:23 PM

Spit Take

[slight hijack] I and at least one other individual have witnessed a "Use Ass Transit" sign while crossing the George Washington Bridge. [/slight hijack]
Old 12 September 2007, 03:12 AM

I took some fairly decent pictures with a camera phone while driving along a numbered country road. We had to take a detour last year because of grass fires & DH got us out of harms way while I kept snapping pictures. They were better & clearer than I thought they would be.
Old 12 September 2007, 03:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
On an uncongested road it would be extremely easy to make a U-turn and return to a spot, camera prepared, in order to take a picture. However, assuming that's the case, I find it odd that this photo has no dead bugs or winshield reflections marring it.
I have taken film pictures through the windshield using an SLR one-handed without having them marred by reflections, bug snot or blurring of the overhead image. All you need is a fast shutter speed.

I imagine that it's even easier (as others have mentioned) with a digital camera.

Seaboe
Old 16 September 2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post

I took this unmarred photo through the windshield of my brother's Jeep on a highway in Indiana. Oh yeah, and this one which also shows no speed-blurring, not even really any of the cars going the opposite direction. These were taken a few years ago with a 6- or 7-year-old (marketed in 1998) .9-megapixel digital camera.