snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 12 September 2018, 06:40 PM

Default E-cigarette use is an 'epidemic', FDA chief says

The use of e-cigarettes has become an epidemic among teens and needs to be stopped, Food and Drug Administration chief Dr. Scott Gottlieb said Wednesday.

The FDA said it was cracking down hard on sales of vaping products to teenagers and reconsidering a grace period to allow makers to apply for FDA approval of their products. The FDA may also limit the sale of certain flavored products, Gottlieb said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...f-says-n908781
Old 13 September 2018, 09:31 AM

Maybe they just need to enforce the laws they already have. At least in MD e-cigs are treated the same as any tobacco/ nicotine-containing product. Gotta be over 18, gotta show ID if I don't think you look at least 27 (company rules say you have to look at least 30.) I think this is just a first step to trying to ban smoking and vaping for everyone. And where I work the number one product asked for by minors isn't e-cigs, or even real cigs -- it's cigarillos which they aren't actually smoking -- the tobacco ends up on the ground, so they can roll their blunts in the outer leaf.
Old 13 September 2018, 12:52 PM

Bang Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judecat View Post
Maybe they just need to enforce the laws they already have. At least in MD e-cigs are treated the same as any tobacco/ nicotine-containing product. Gotta be over 18, gotta show ID if I don't think you look at least 27 (company rules say you have to look at least 30.) I think this is just a first step to trying to ban smoking and vaping for everyone. And where I work the number one product asked for by minors isn't e-cigs, or even real cigs -- it's cigarillos which they aren't actually smoking -- the tobacco ends up on the ground, so they can roll their blunts in the outer leaf.
Well there's a concept! Earlier this year I bought some e-juice for DH, and even though the person who waited on me could tell that I was old enough to be his mother, he still had to card me. I told him I understood and to watch out for neo-Puritans who would try to ostracize vapers the same way they've ostracized smokers.

[I don't have a problem with no smoking policies for indoors/public buildings, but I don't like the way that smokers have been treated like they're the scum of the earth for choosing to engage in a legal activity]

ETA: I would like to see a reliable cite for the claim that e-juice has all sorts of crud in it; the only ingredients I've ever seen were flavor, veggie oil and a certain amount of nicotine. I sure as hell have not seen the lead, chromium, etc that the government has.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:18 PM

Not sure about e-cigs, but pretty much all the stores in my area which sell traditional cigarettes have a "we card everyone" policy.
Old 13 September 2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
ETA: I would like to see a reliable cite for the claim that e-juice has all sorts of crud in it; the only ingredients I've ever seen were flavor, veggie oil and a certain amount of nicotine. I sure as hell have not seen the lead, chromium, etc that the government has.
Are you saying that you want a cite in which lead and chromium are listed ingredients on the label?
Old 13 September 2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Are you saying that you want a cite in which lead and chromium are listed ingredients on the label?
Found one that works for me: A study from Johns Hopkins.

Seems that metals can leech into the juice from the coils. Other links that came up on my search referred back to this study.
Old 13 September 2018, 05:14 PM

Yes. That study also found in some cases, arsenic in both the refill liquid and the vapor of some samples. It isn't coming from the vaporizer -- it's in the liquid. And you can be sure it isn't listed as an ingredient.
Old 13 September 2018, 06:11 PM

I have heard concerns that the ingredients aren't sufficiently regulated -- that manufacturers could be lying about what they're using, or use inconsistent formulations. I don't know if any of that sort of thing has actually been found, or if people just worry that it could easily happen.

From the story (and others I read), the main action at the moment has been to send out warning notices to retailers that they need to be more meticulous about checking IDs (and others were fined for being lax). They're also concerned that the various flavorings make e-cigs more attractive to young people, and serve as a gateway to nicotine in other forms.

As for adult use, I maintain my lack of comprehension as to why anyone would take up nicotine use in the first place, but I figure that for people who've decided to do that, e-cigs are probably significantly less damaging than regular cigarettes, and they are (for me at least) certainly not as unpleasant to be around. So I wouldn't want to see them taken off the market.
Old 29 September 2018, 04:10 PM

Around here I've noticed people vaping in areas where they would not be allowed to smoke a cigarette. If there are laws in place saying they can't they are certainly not being enforced, or at least not being observed anyway. If there are no laws in place I feel they should be. With Ford in as Premier I don't know how that will play out (assuming of course this is a provincial rather than municipal matter). In the rush to start making laws around where and when people will be able to smoke pot I hope they give some consideration to e-cigarettes as well.
Old 29 September 2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Well there's a concept! Earlier this year I bought some e-juice for DH, and even though the person who waited on me could tell that I was old enough to be his mother, he still had to card me. I told him I understood and to watch out for neo-Puritans who would try to ostracize vapers the same way they've ostracized smokers.
I don't see the connection between requiring proof of age and ostracizing people. Can you clarify?
Old 29 September 2018, 06:29 PM

Especially given that it's often store policy to card people regardless of their age.
Old 30 September 2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Around here I've noticed people vaping in areas where they would not be allowed to smoke a cigarette.
One of my coworkers was vaping CBD in the office. She only did it the one day, during which she carried the device around like a child's security blanket.
Old 30 September 2018, 01:12 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Around here I've noticed people vaping in areas where they would not be allowed to smoke a cigarette. If there are laws in place saying they can't they are certainly not being enforced, or at least not being observed anyway. If there are no laws in place I feel they should be. With Ford in as Premier I don't know how that will play out (assuming of course this is a provincial rather than municipal matter). In the rush to start making laws around where and when people will be able to smoke pot I hope they give some consideration to e-cigarettes as well.
All of our hotel rooms are non-smoking. People get very upset when we enforce that, especially if it's pot or e-cigs. Pot smokers are the worst. Dude, don't care. No smoking means no smoking.
Old 30 September 2018, 09:00 PM

Isn't pot still illegal in Arizona?
Old 30 September 2018, 11:33 PM

Medicinal pot is legal.
Old 01 October 2018, 06:48 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Isn't pot still illegal in Arizona?
Yep, but there are dispensaries here in Tucson for medical marijuana. So people get fake doctor's prescriptions and go buy.
Old 01 October 2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
All of our hotel rooms are non-smoking. People get very upset when we enforce that, especially if it's pot or e-cigs. Pot smokers are the worst. Dude, don't care. No smoking means no smoking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
Yep, but there are dispensaries here in Tucson for medical marijuana. So people get fake doctor's prescriptions and go buy.
I bet they are thinking or saying "But it's MEDICAL marijuana, it's for my health!!!" even when it's a fake prescription.
Old 01 October 2018, 10:22 AM

Whalephant

I think they're more probably thinking "cool! Now I can smoke legally!"
Old 01 October 2018, 01:53 PM

It's like a bonus for traveling to Arizona. "Warm weather, beautiful scenery, and a chance to smoke weed legally!"
Old 02 October 2018, 04:14 AM

I remember hearing a story after Colorado legalized pot for all uses, they were anticipating a certain amount of cannabis tourism -- but it's actually quite problematic. You still can't smoke it in most public places; a lot of hotels and motels are non-smoking. For locals, most have to partake in their own homes, but if you're a tourist, not an option. I don't know if they've found ways to address it, or if there might leave it that way to deliberately discourage tourist use.