snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 12 September 2018, 05:59 PM

Whalephant The Hurricane Florence thread

To all of you Snopesters in Flo's path: take care of yourselves! It does not look like she'll weaken any time soon.
Sending stay dry vibes from Maryland.
Old 12 September 2018, 06:39 PM

Seconding. Get out of there now if you need to! And, if you're not where you need to get out, get supplies while you can -- if you still can. Judging by the photo I just saw of grocery shelves, it may already be too late.
Old 12 September 2018, 07:20 PM

Thirded.

To lighten the mood a bit, I saw this on Facebook earlier today:

"To all of my friends and family in the Carolinas and on the East Coast, please be careful. I can't afford to go to 27 baby showers in April because you didn't have any power."
Old 13 September 2018, 11:15 AM

I was already out of town on personal business. My car is in Charleston SC, so that may be an issue there. Columbia (where I live) will get very wet with project 30mph winds. I'm supposed to fly back on Monday but getting there (and then drive home!) will be questionable.

OY
Old 13 September 2018, 02:33 PM

Glasses

Boeing has suspended operations in Charleston, and they flew some of the new 787s to Everett to get them out of the path of the hurricane.

Boeing's new 787s flee Florence in an exodus from South Carolina to Everett.

I'm hoping the storm does less damage than predicted.

Seaboe
Old 13 September 2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Boeing has suspended operations in Charleston, and they flew some of the new 787s to Everett to get them out of the path of the hurricane.
I did see the two Hainan & the United planes when I parked at the airport last Saturday... My car is parked a mile or so from there.

OY
Old 13 September 2018, 03:09 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Seconding. Get out of there now if you need to! And, if you're not where you need to get out, get supplies while you can -- if you still can. Judging by the photo I just saw of grocery shelves, it may already be too late.
I was in a Target just this past Tuesday; the shelf holding bottled water was just about empty.
Old 13 September 2018, 03:58 PM

For those trying to contact anyone in the hurricane zone: text message rather than call. Your message is more likely to get through and will use less precious battery life. Remember that they are going through some hard times and do not need to keep answering phone calls or texts asking for (or giving) updates.

For those in the hurricane zone: text message rather than call. Make sure your phones are fully charged as well as laptops. A fully charged laptop can be used to charge a phone. Make sure all aps are closed and turn off auto updating. Once power goes out only turn your phone on once every half hour to check messages. MAKE SURE YOUR LOVED ONES KNOW YOU ARE DOING THIS. I told some friends I would check on the hour, others on the half hour. I sent out texts about this before the power went out.

Power may go out well before the arrival of the storm. I lost power almost twelve hours before the "arrival" of Irma to our area. We were without power for three days, my mother in law went a week and other friends went two weeks or more. Conserve in any way you can.

Above all, stay safe. That's how you know a storm is coming in Florida. Instead of "have a good one" Or "have a good day" it is "Stay Safe".