snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 17 November 2014, 11:54 PM

Icon07 Charles Manson gets license to wed 26-year-old he said he wouldn't marry

A year after notorious killer Charles Manson said he would not marry the young woman who has faithfully visited him in prison, the couple has obtained a marriage license.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...117-story.html
Old 19 November 2014, 03:18 AM

That's kind of sad. I feel a little bad for this woman; she must have some kind of mental disorder.
Old 19 November 2014, 04:34 AM

Bad taste in men is not a mental disorder, no matter how much many of us wish we could blame our bad life choices on just such a scapegoat.
Old 19 November 2014, 04:51 AM

To be fair, it isn't just ordinary bad taste in men. It's seeking out a known psychopathic killer, who is permanently in prison, for a relationship. I would not be surprised if there were a mental or personality disorder at work for her.
Old 19 November 2014, 05:09 AM

She developed a crush on the "ultimate bad boy". That's not a mental disorder. By her own words she was raised in an uber religious family who supposedly locked her in a room for most of her teen years until she ran away. While I admit that would make many people "crazy", I don't buy "mental disorder", and the fact that people are still so willing to toss that term around annoys me.

Mental Disorders are legitimate medical illnesses. Crushing on a serial killer is "nuts", but not in and of itself indicative of anything that I would determine to be a legitimate illness without extensive examination by an attending psychiatrist.

Do I think she's making a terrible choice? Yes. Do I think she has horrifying taste in men? Abso-nfbsking-lutely. Do I think this is A Very Bad Idea? Oh yeah. Do I support this choice in any way, shape, or form? No. Do I think she is running the risk of ostracizing herself for a very long time because of poor decisions? Yes. Do I pity her? A bit, yes. ETA: Manson is a master manipulator, who has proven time and time again that he can twist people to his own ends, even from behind bars. I believe she is a victim.

Do I think she has a "mental disorder"? Not without proof, no.

Unless rampant stupidity and low self esteem are mental disorders. Then perhaps so.
Old 19 November 2014, 06:05 AM

I would require proof too. And I know neither I nor anyone else commenting on this story here is qualified to diagnose whether she has a mental disorder or not. We're all speculating. I just wouldn't be surprised if something this extreme is connected to a mental disorder.

I also know mental disorders are medical conditions, and that there can be mild conditions right up to life threatening ones. She could also certainly be a victim. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 19 November 2014, 06:22 AM

It's true one shouldn't attempt to diagnose over the mass media and interwebs. However, from the known facts, it seems as clear a case of Hybristophilia as we'll ever see without actually having a patient sit on our couch. It's not a diagnosis but it's not an unreasonable supposition.
Old 19 November 2014, 03:34 PM

Any chance that she might be thinking $$$? As in, after he passes on, she'd own the rights to books/movies/etc?

Wondering.

OY
Old 19 November 2014, 03:37 PM

She could just be someone who is into some sort of extreme non-traditional belief systems, who buys into the whole mythology that Manson and his followers created. They claim that Manson was innocent of the murders and lay the blame on Tex Watson and others. They buy into the whole ATWA thing, and view Manson as some sort of persecuted Earth loving guru. People publish his poetry, perform and record his songs - and of course, his current followers think he is innocent.

I mean, she's hardly the first person to fall for his B.S., she's not even the first woman who moved just to live nearer to him.
Old 19 November 2014, 04:17 PM

My greatest concern is the possibility that Manson will influence Burton to act against others. He doesn't need to marry her to have that power, of course.
Old 19 November 2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I mean, she's hardly the first person to fall for his B.S., she's not even the first woman who moved just to live nearer to him.
True, but that doesn't rule out her having a mental disorder.
Old 19 November 2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
True, but that doesn't rule out her having a mental disorder.
Correct - but it does mean that she does not NEED a mental disorder to fall for him. Maybe she is mentally ill, maybe not. Manson took advantage of people with previously existing problems, as well as roping in some who were just very naive, trusting, and a bit too open to alternative ideas.
Old 19 November 2014, 06:11 PM

But being recruited into a cult is different from seeking out a relationship with a known multiple murderer who is permanently in prison.
Old 20 November 2014, 03:01 AM

OK, I guess I should have said "she may have some kind of mental disorder--although without evidence from a qualified psychiatrist we can't say for sure--but in any case seeking marriage with Charles Manson starting when you're a teenager is a poor life choice."

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
[Manson is] a known multiple murderer
Wait, is it right to call him a murderer if he didn't murder anybody himself? As I've heard it, he ordered the murders, but didn't physically commit them himself.
Old 20 November 2014, 03:31 AM

He committed murder by proxy. He's just as guilty of murder as a person who hires a hitman. Which is to say, yes, he's a murderer.
Old 20 November 2014, 12:59 PM

To expand on what erwins said, he was convicted of murder so by definition, he is a murderer.

This is of course completely different from someone wrongly convicted which should not really be the point of this thread drift.
Old 20 November 2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Billion View Post
Wait, is it right to call him a murderer if he didn't murder anybody himself? As I've heard it, he ordered the murders, but didn't physically commit them himself.
Why would getting someone else to commit murder for you not be murder? Do you think people who successfully hire someone to kill for them should not be considered murderers?
Old 20 November 2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
To expand on what erwins said, he was convicted of murder so by definition, he is a murderer.

This is of course completely different from someone wrongly convicted which should not really be the point of this thread drift.
I could be wrong, but I think to be precise he was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder, which is pretty much the same thing since under conspiracy law there is joint responsibility for acts in furtherance of the conspiracy. His punishment clearly reflects that he was held responsible as a murderer: he was originally sentenced to death, which was only commuted to a life with the possibility of parole sentence when California's death penalty was temporarily abolished.
Old 22 November 2014, 11:59 PM

Well, at least it will be a "traditional" marriage.
Old 23 November 2014, 12:14 AM

Mouse

Remember Jimmy, marriage between committed gays is an abomination unto the Lord but marriage between a mass murdering cult leader and a deluded idiot is A-Okay or just what God intended.