snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 12 August 2009, 07:52 PM

Icon401 Facebook Firing

Comment: Is this real? I'm guessing it really was on facebook, but that the profiles are false. Any idea?

Old 13 August 2009, 09:22 AM

Well it's completely unverifiable and easy enough for two friends to do as a joke. Certainly it's bound to have happened much like that 20 times over in the last six months around the world, but whether this exact message is real ...? Pretty impossible to tell.
Old 13 August 2009, 09:35 AM

I agree it would be difficult to find out if it is real or not.
If it is real then that woman certainly deserves to be fired, what an idiot. Number one rule about posting things on the internet.... assume everyone will read it. Even if you aren't friends with your boss the internet is a public forum you would be stupid to assume to anything you post is in anyway secret, even in private forums messages can be copied and pasted into public sites.

Or maybe she wanted him to read it.... hoping to go out with a bang.
Old 13 August 2009, 04:07 PM

Possibly this?
Old 13 August 2009, 06:06 PM

That could well be it - the woman in the photos looks like the person in the profile pic, as far as it's possible to tell. (She's changed her profile pic now, or so it seems from a quick search, but the same woman is identifiable).

I'll say one thing; no matter how silly or unprofessional it might be to post a comment like that about your job on Facebook, it seems to me to be just as unprofessional to sack somebody publicly like that too. If they'd waited until she came into the office and discussed it with her and sacked her then, then it wouldn't be a news story and the name of the company and its representative wouldn't be public. I'll bet the means of sacking ends up having far more repercussions for them than the fact that one particular employee thinks the boss is a wanker.

One of my friends / former colleagues was fond for a time of updating his profile to call his / my former CEO a wanker, too, despite having quite a lot of colleagues as Facebook friends. He seems to have stopped now. I'd have considered a summary dismissal rather harsh, and he's older than 16 too, and should definitely have known better.
Old 13 August 2009, 06:16 PM

Wolf

I can't really blame the boss. She called him a pervert. That kind of accusation is not only embarrassing, but could be damaging to his reputation, especially if the woman/girl making the accuser is quite young. I can see feeling a need to not only point out that he is not a pervert, but point out that her actions had consequences.
Old 13 August 2009, 06:32 PM

There is mention, however, in the story I linked to that the young lady in question had been working for her employer "for three weeks before being fired on Monday". The reply of the boss in the OP states "you have two weeks left on your six month trial period".

Hmmm.........
Old 13 August 2009, 06:37 PM

Read This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I'll say one thing; no matter how silly or unprofessional it might be to post a comment like that about your job on Facebook, it seems to me to be just as unprofessional to sack somebody publicly like that too.
I'd imagine it could leave the company open to legal action (of a wrongful dismissal nature).
Old 13 August 2009, 06:53 PM

Hmmm... did I miss something? He seems to indicate that being gay is a reason that it's silly for her to imply that he's a pervy wanker?

Pervy wankerness is an equal opportunity position IMO.

As for the link posted, I don't see much of a parallel between the post in the OP and the story about the girl who was fired for saying her job was boring except for that they were both fired. Overall the situations aren't remotely close.
Old 13 August 2009, 07:05 PM

It's clearly not the same episode as in the BBC article. The article says she described her job as "boring", but there's no mention of that in the screenshot in the OP. Also according to the article, the girl's boss only found out about it after some of her colleagues saw it and passed it along. Based on the boss's comments in the OP, it sounds like she had added him to her Friends list and he saw it himself.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFurg View Post
Hmmm... did I miss something? He seems to indicate that being gay is a reason that it's silly for her to imply that he's a pervy wanker?

I think the implication was that, being gay, he wouldn't have acted like a pervy wanker towards her. Presumably she thought he had been checking her out or hitting on her or something.
Old 13 August 2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom o' Bedlam View Post
It's clearly not the same episode as in the BBC article.
Upon further analysis I tend to agree.
Old 13 August 2009, 07:45 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFurg View Post

There could be a back story that we're missing. That's the only thing I can think of.
Old 13 August 2009, 08:20 PM

I doubt it. Usually when someone describes another as a pervy wanker, they're not implying the PW has perved at other people. They're generally implying the PW perves at them, personally. Since she's a woman, he's a man, and he's gay, that's not likely. That's why he responded as such.

It's possible she meant he perves at every young delivery boy that drops by, but based on the style of writing of the small piece of hers, I suspect she'd have not failed to mention the pervy "faggot" boss if that were the case. She seems like a piece of work.
Old 14 August 2009, 08:56 AM

I read this a few days ago, on this site:

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.co...get-you-fired/
Old 18 August 2009, 05:28 PM

Default Facebook firing after 'friend' boss ripped

In tech terms, it's called a cascading failure.

A woman in Britain being called "Lindsay" made a big one this week, and it cost her her job.

http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/681635
Old 18 August 2009, 06:50 PM

I think I'd probably shoot off at the mouth if someone called me a "pervvy [sic] wanker." Especially in a public forum. Yes it's unprofessional of him, but there's a point where you have to say something back.

I don't have any views on the veracity of this. But if it is true, then I would think that she thought he was checking her out, and his saying "I'm gay" was an attempt to show her she was incorrect.

Heck twenty years back we had a 16 YO girl working for us who was convinced all the men in the plant were desperately in love with her. We weren't, she was bleeding 16 and we were all between 25 and 50. A quick " Sorry I'm married" usually worked.

Now a thought; why would the lass accept or invite her pervy wanker boss to her friends list? Or if she found out her was a pervy wanker after doing that, why did she not unfriend him? Facebook isn't and never was designed to be a business tool - he's the boss, he presumably has her home address and phone number, and probably her email - she never needed to contact him via facebook.
Old 18 August 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Now a thought; why would the lass accept or invite her pervy wanker boss to her friends list? Or if she found out her was a pervy wanker after doing that, why did she not unfriend him? Facebook isn't and never was designed to be a business tool - he's the boss, he presumably has her home address and phone number, and probably her email - she never needed to contact him via facebook.
Some people just need to do stuff like that. At the last office I worked in, many of my coworkers (at my level, at least) were all FB friends (I don't know if any of them had friended any managers, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone had). I imagine it's an attempt to be liked-some people are like that.

-RB
Old 18 August 2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
I imagine it's an attempt to be liked-some people are like that.
When I worked in arts administration, it was a major faux pas to deny a request, unfriend someone, or leave an industry group. It was considered a significant snub and talked about between organizations.
Old 19 August 2009, 12:29 AM

It also bears mentioning that if she showed the lack of sense to forget her boss was a FB friend while posting such a thing in the first place, it's not at all unbelievable that she lacked the presence of mind to unfriend him before that. Rather silly to assume that someone who would do something like this would be altogether rational.

Besides, she presumably didn't want him to know how much she hated his guts, and probably would have prefered to avoid any confrontation that might arise if he happened to ask why he was no longer on her friends list.
Old 19 August 2009, 12:43 AM

There's also the possibility that the guy wasn't her boss when she friended him, perhaps he was later promoted. Or as some mentioned, she just added him and didn't think about it later.