snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 27 January 2017, 12:06 AM

Default We all knew the Trump administration would be chaotic...

...but did anyone here think it would be this chaotic this early?

Is the chaos intentional to keep everyone off guard? Are they intelligent enough to have a plan like that?
Old 27 January 2017, 12:07 AM

No, no, and no.
Old 27 January 2017, 12:26 AM

I really was hoping that he would let down some of the bluster and bully tactics once he was "safe" and inaugurated. I'm still stunned, I guess in some kind of shock still, when I hear whatever new thing we have a thread about in the forums (or things that happen but don't get discussed).

I'm not a conspiracy theory person, and I'm not a paranoid person, but I've started thinking about things that- well, would make sense to a conspiracy theorist. I dont' want to be that kind of person so I don't talk about them to anyone except my dad. And I really hope that weird, new part of my brain is wrong.

The biggest concern is that the administration is much more competent than it appears. And even much more competent than its constituents praise it to be.
Old 27 January 2017, 12:37 AM

Mouse

I would hope that Trump would realize there's more to the job than bloviating and that being President isn't a synonym for being Jesus. Of course, part of me knew it wasn't going to happen. Republicans don't govern; they rule.
Old 27 January 2017, 02:09 AM

I don't think it's any sort of plot to pretend to be incompetent. I really do think that since this is the first time in his life Trump can't just say "Do this." and someone has to do it, whatever it is, he really is at a loss and is lashing out.

Not quite the same thing, but from what I've read Eisenhower also went through a bit of a culture shock upon going from general to president. He was used to giving orders as a general, but as president he not only had to justify them beyond "Because I said so.", there would be times where people could simply refuse him. Of course he eventually adapted.
Old 27 January 2017, 04:27 AM

Mouse

I'll spare everyone the general spiel, but Eisenhower was the last GOP president who didn't leave his country in worse shape than it was when he took office. Plus, unlike Trump, he actually knew something about leadership and strategy. He made it to the rank of general and commanded freaking D-Day. Whatever faults you have with Eisenhower, man knew his stuff.

That and his last name translates to Iron-Cutter, which is pretty cool. Sounds like a name a Viking would have.
Old 27 January 2017, 05:05 AM

Military

I'm going to have to say "Cite Please" on that Eisenhower story. Doesn't seem likely. Eisenhower had worked with some of the most cantankerous bunch of generals ever before he became president. The transition was difficult because of misunderstandings between him and Truman, not because he suddenly couldn't bark out orders that were followed without question, which is kind of a cartoon version of what a general does.
Old 27 January 2017, 05:08 AM

Hijackably, wouldn't Eisenhower rather be "Eisen-Hauer", meaning iron-hitter, or for short, smith?
Old 27 January 2017, 11:23 AM

... So if Eisenhauer / Eisenhower translates to "Smith" in English, what does "Schmidt" mean?
Old 27 January 2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... So if Eisenhauer / Eisenhower translates to "Smith" in English, what does "Schmidt" mean?
Patronymics is not an exact science...

Although IMO, "iron hewer" might more accurately refer to a miner, than a smith.
Old 27 January 2017, 12:26 PM

Or an ironmonger.
Old 28 January 2017, 12:57 AM

Mouse

Regardless of the actual meaning of Eisenhower's last name, his two terms were a nightmarish era of peace and prosperity that built much of our infrastructure and made it so that everyone, even entry-level workers, could afford a comfortable middle class living. We must never forget the horrors brought about by the Eisenhower administration.

For anyone curious, for the most part, when it comes to Me vs. Zombie Presidents, Eisenhower is on the list of "Guys Who Will Beat Me Like a Drum." Kind of decided that any president who can legitimately have Hitler on their enemies' list, would have no problem schooling me. Though like I said, the only presidents I'd stand a chance against, are the ones pretty much all historians label as The Worst.
Old 31 January 2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coughdrops View Post
Not quite the same thing, but from what I've read Eisenhower also went through a bit of a culture shock upon going from general to president. He was used to giving orders as a general, but as president he not only had to justify them beyond "Because I said so."
So it turns out it wasn't that Eisenhower felt that way at all. It was Truman who had the cartoonish concept of a general. He is quoted as saying that's how Eisenhower would feel if he became president. Maybe Truman got that idea from his experience with some of the genuinely cartoonish ones *coughMcCarthur*.

http://www.bartleby.com/73/1514.html
Old 31 January 2017, 03:27 AM

Eisenhower's strength as a general was his ability to be diplomatic and to persuade people to do things instead of trying to simply commandi obedience. As head of the Allied Expeditionary Forces in Europe his ability to "command" forces from other nations to do anything were somewhat limited. He had to convince the Brit's, Canadians, Free French, ... to do what he wanted. He couldn't order, for example, the Normandy invasion.
Old 31 January 2017, 03:37 AM

Not to mention that he had to get a few rather stubborn US military and civilian leaders to go along as well.
Old 31 January 2017, 03:49 AM

Yeah, but he was a pogue.
Old 31 January 2017, 06:42 AM

Another stupid question - doesn't that mean "kiss"?

I thought the band Pogue Mahone (apparently meaning "kiss my arse" in Gaelic) had to change their name on the grounds that it was considered vulgar by TPTB at the time, and so shortened it to "The Pogues", knowing that their fans would still get the joke. If that meant "The Arses" then it wouldn't have helped with the vulgarity issue. It means "The Kisses". (Well, sort of, in a sort of mixed English / Gaelic way).

I looked up "pogue" in this context and it appears to mean the kind of officer who's always at the rear. Is it fairly modern slang and based on a misinterpretation of the name of the band?

Damn, I've just realised that this interesting linguistic diversion is implicitly condoning fascism, and now we're all collaborators.
Old 31 January 2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
...but did anyone here think it would be this chaotic this early?

Is the chaos intentional to keep everyone off guard? Are they intelligent enough to have a plan like that?
It didn't surprise me in the slightest, between his blustering arrogance and emotionally immature activist groups wanting to 'burn America to the ground so he will leave office a broken man' this is about what I expected.

That said I have seen posts online claiming that this chaos is exactly what he wants, as certain executive orders (Resuming the Dakota pipeline for example) are passing almost unnoticed, that should not be.
Old 31 January 2017, 08:57 AM

Out of interest, which emotionally immature activist groups have been contributing to the chaos by "burning America to the ground"? I've seen a lot about huge demonstrations and peaceful protests, but I'd had the impression that all the actual chaos was caused by things like Trump unilaterally having long-term US residents with valid visa and green card holders detained or turned away at your border, possibly instructing border officials to ignore legal judgements against this, and then sacking the attorney general for contradicting him. (I say "things like" that, because it's only his second week and that is far from the only completely mad thing that he's done).

Was some of it actually caused by anti-Trump groups setting fire to things? Where did you get that information? Because it sounds like a dangerous and rather weaselly false equivalence to me.
Old 31 January 2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Was some of it actually caused by anti-Trump groups setting fire to things? Where did you get that information? Because it sounds like a dangerous and rather weaselly false equivalence to me.
To be fair, there has in fact been some rioting.

Quote:
The large crowds are gone, but visible damage remains following riots that broke out in downtown D.C. during Inauguration Day protests last week.

Vandals destroyed property, smashing windows, setting fires and throwing rocks. Six police officers were injured. Storefronts on one building on I St NW near New Hampshire Avenue were boarded up Monday. A Starbucks was closed for the day and repair crews could be seen working on one of the shattered windows.

Authorities say 230 people arrested during the disturbances have appeared in court and were charged with felony rioting.
This is rare, but it is real.

More to the point, though: I haven't seen anybody at all proposing to "burn America to the ground so [Trump] will leave office a broken man". The actual burning has been rioting, with the motivations typical of rioters in any nation or situation.