snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 10 October 2018, 08:25 PM

My understanding is that neither of those positions involved presenting evidence in a court setting. Did they? Not arguing he did not do any lawyering. But that I read an article that indicated he never did it as either a prosecutor or defense lawyer in a court room.

Of course this is not a unique situation for Supreme Court Justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg was never a trial lawyer either. I don't have the other Justice's resumes to hand to know who else to which this may apply.
Old 10 October 2018, 08:53 PM

I was addressing the bolded part of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
Interestingly() apparently he has never had to do that outside of a classroom setting. He has never been an active lawyer. He was made a judge from a law clerk position.
Old 11 October 2018, 02:06 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
Story arc. You start naive, experience a consequence, and improve your decision making. His ‘I’ve been a paragon of virtue my whole 53 years’ was such a weak and obviously false tale that it was infuriating coming from someone who is supposed to be skilled in presenting evidence.
Agreed. Even if we ignore the sexual assault stories, Kavanaugh was just bad at the basic act of presenting his case, which is something someone involved in law should be able to do. It's a basic requirement for the job and him not being able to do it, is the equivalent of a fry cook being unable to turn on a stove.

Then again, all his tantrums just further illustrated who he is as a person. Tantrums is the best word to describe his reactions, because this wasn't just a guy upset by the charges.

Brett Kavanaugh is, like Trump and so much of the GOP, privilege personified. His family wealth has basically made it, so that he's always gotten whatever he wanted, no matter what. Doors magically opened for him that he barely noticed, because that's what doors are supposed to do for him. His tantrums and meltdowns are basically the reactions of a spoiled brat being told for the first time that he can't have something just because he wants it. Brett Kavanaugh has never had to earn anything in his life and thus, the idea that he might have to prove himself worthy, sends him into a fit of screaming. On the stand, Kavanaugh did everything short of threatening to hold his breath until he gets what he wants.

Money is the ultimate privilege: a person doesn't have to be talented, hardworking, or even just agreeable to be around, because society is wired to cater to their needs to not only make them rich, but keep them rich as well.

If nothing else, at least, he finally, for probably the first time in his life, faced some resistance. Kavanaugh did triumph, but it wasn't an easy victory.

Though while I use terms like "tantrums" and "hissies" to refer to the actions of Trump and co., I object to referring to them as toddlers. Toddlers overflow with natural curiosity; they want to learn about the world and understand how it works. Toddlers are capable of displaying basic empathy. Though most importantly, no matter how irritating a toddler may be, there's still hope that they will grow the NFBSK up and become a decent person. Can the same be said about Trump and his merry band of deplorables?
Old 11 October 2018, 05:41 PM

Judge

Republicans keep citing the lack of corroboration for Ford's testimony. I am stealing (and correcting) a joke from a FOAFF (Friend of a Facebook Friend) in lamenting that they couldn't get the late Johnny Cochrane in to defend Kavanaugh: "If there is no sperm, you must confirm!"

Meanwhile:

Chief Justice Roberts Requests Tenth Circuit To Investigate Kavanaugh Ethics Questions
Old 11 October 2018, 05:51 PM

Pardon my French, but what's the f'ing point? There's no need to provide a paper-thin excuse of an investigation so Senators can claim they voted based on the investigation and we all know nothing will be done to impeach inJustice Kavanaugh.

Quote:
But if complaints against a sitting Justice are not dealt with in an impartial apolitical manner, then there will be an asterisk against Judge Tymkovich and Justice Kavanaugh for the remainder of their terms, and indeed the U.S. Supreme Court itself.

There is therefore a risk that Mitch McConnell's seeming accomplishment of a “rock-solid Republican majority on the Supreme Court for a generation” may yet turn out to be something of a Pyrrhic victory.
Clearly Mr Denning has been in a coma for several years. I welcome him back to the world of the conscious , but suggest he get caught up on current politics before he writes any more political opinion pieces.
Old 11 October 2018, 05:59 PM

It does seem to be a lot of too little too late, but I think Roberts is mainly concerned with the optics for the Court, so he can now say "We looked into it."
Old 11 October 2018, 06:25 PM

Yeah, they'll look into it like Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson looked at the order to retreat at the Battle of Copenhagen.
Old 11 October 2018, 06:38 PM

I predict it will dismissed as moot.
Old 11 October 2018, 07:45 PM

I can see a real look being done if there is any real substance to the complaints (i.e., things at odds with the law, legal codes of ethics, etc., as opposed to just "he kinda acted like a jerk") -- but even if they come back with a pretty scathing report, nothing is apt to come of it. Now that he's on the court, the only way to remove him would be an impeachment, and that will be a political process. If Democrats get control of congress and decide to pursue impeachment, it might provide supporting evidence, but it's hard to imagine what they could charge him with that would convince enough Republicans to get a conviction.
Old 11 October 2018, 09:49 PM

AIUI, the complaints are with regard to procedural issues, not any judicial crimes like taking bribes. If that is correct, I'm not sure he can be impeached for them. Impeachment is stated to be for criminal acts, not for unsuitability for the office. (Presumably the advice and consent of the Senate would have eliminated anyone unsuitable.)
Old 11 October 2018, 10:12 PM

Isn't perjury a criminal act, though? It wouldn't take much of an investigation to demonstrate that.
Not that it would matter, of course.