snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 23 September 2018, 03:37 AM

Default News programs for kids: whatís out there and is it good?

Iím legitimately curious.

The one Iím subscribed to on YouTube is Behind The News, an ABC-TV series that has, as you might have seen, been on the air for fifty years. Itís a bit of folly to say I grew up with this show, because I only actually had to watch it in 1994-5 (the years I was in Grades 6 and 7).

This is a link to their main website.

The only other such show I know of is the British TV series Newsround. The BBC has a slightly more irritating policy towards availability, but based on what Iíve seen, itís pitched at a somewhat wider age range.

I also saw that there a US series that I actually missed and whose name escapes me (it was sent directly to schools, and I was 15 when I lived in America).
Old 24 September 2018, 02:58 AM

Royalty

Our( now my)3 children currently aged 20, 17 and 13 have always watched BBC, CNN or CBC/CTV/TVA. Depending on what I was watching at the time.

I found Newsround as a child didn't give me the depth of information I required. i never censored news from them.

DD1(20) and DS(130 are not as socially aware as DD2(17).
Old 24 September 2018, 06:34 AM

Germany

I would go and recommend "Logo" to you, the German public television children news show (you know that in German, this would be one word ). It covers all news, including politics and crime, and tries - successfully, I think - to present it in a way that can be understood by children, without simplifying complex contexts.

Alas, it's in German.