snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 27 June 2007, 08:38 PM
major accent

Default Numerous unidentified flying objects

http://www.earthfiles.com/news.php?I...ry=Environment

This page has some of the photos, and there are links to more photos apparently taken by several different people. There are also accounts of the circumstances under which the photos were taken. As far as I know there's as of yet no information about the source of the objects.

While they look like human designs to me (mostly an aesthetic judgement) they also have an intriguing appearance. They don't look like the stereotypical disc or cigar-shaped UFO.

Each object is referred to as a "drone," and elsewhere it's been suggested that they are human designs based on "extra-terrestrial" technology. There's a link in Spook Central concerning this claim.
Old 27 June 2007, 10:37 PM

I found some higher resolution on some nutjob alien website message board. I've also gotten these emailed to me a few times.

Old 27 June 2007, 11:31 PM
Baikal

Those come, I think, from the CtCAM (oh boy!) account of it here.

Without asking the more "out there" question of whether or not they come from Epsilon Eridani, does anyone know if they're real objects?

-Baikal
Old 27 June 2007, 11:39 PM

Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Those come, I think, from the CtCAM (oh boy!) account of it here.

Without asking the more "out there" question of whether or not they come from Epsilon Eridani, does anyone know if they're real objects?

-Baikal

Um... Isn't Epsilon Eridani Vulcan? (Not really relevant. I'm just checking my geek IQ.)

W. T'Inkerbell
Old 28 June 2007, 12:15 AM
Baikal

Well, yes. Also, I just like the name.

Anyway, consensus--on Coast to Coast, at that--is that it's a fake. And that the writing is Klingon or Aurek Besh. And if the aliens are writing in either of those, we're really screwed.

-Baikal
Old 28 June 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm Not Okay!

They almost look like Starr Kempf sculptures:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

But his don't fly. Not that I'm aware of, anyway...
Old 28 June 2007, 01:17 AM

I thought they looked like Christmas tree stands.
Old 28 June 2007, 01:35 AM

Icon22

[[[[[ Eggbeater from Another Planet! ]]]]]
Old 28 June 2007, 03:21 AM

Those pictures are old and generally agreed in the scientific community to be fake.
Old 28 June 2007, 10:24 AM

Cow

They never quite get the perspective right on these set up photos.

Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These are very small; those are far away...
Old 28 June 2007, 12:31 PM

Flying saucer with mange?
Old 28 June 2007, 01:11 PM
major accent

Default real, fake, old, new, or all of the above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
Well, yes. Also, I just like the name.

Anyway, consensus--on Coast to Coast, at that--is that it's a fake. And that the writing is Klingon or Aurek Besh. And if the aliens are writing in either of those, we're really screwed.

-Baikal
This doesn't seem to be true. I don't listen to the show, but on the website, there's no such perspective in references to the photos. Also, the graphics are somewhat similar to the Aurek Besh font, but that doesn't mean that "the writing is Klingon or Aurek Besh."

As far as the photos being "old" is concerned, can someone provide a link to any older documentation, images or discussion?

There are apparently numerous witness reports as well (people who saw but did not photograph the objects in flight).

The general consensus at this point seems to be that the objects were made by humans; since they are apparently observed and photographed moving by unknown means, they attract curiosity regarding their origin.
Old 28 June 2007, 05:24 PM
Baikal

Well, the discussion from the CtCAM website is virtually all in favour of a 'shop job with the exception of a handful of people who describe its similarity to the Sikorsky Cypher or other UAVs, a couple of people who ask why, if the craft is so ubiquitous, he's never got a news crew out there, and the bottom-of-the-barrel flakes circling dust on the lens and using the ever-popular "plasma *mumblemumblemumble* plasma" explanation for its power.

Of 19 responses, 9 outright say they think it's fake, and another five comment on the languages similarity to Earth languages--Elvish, Klingon, Aurek besh, the Matrix, Japanese (which, on closer examination, it more strongly resembles) and are presumably sceptical as well. Only one person treats it as an actual object, with a couple of people mentioning UAVs but not the fact that Cypher, for instance, has visible means of support. I would broadly describe this as consensus from the CtCAM community that the pictures do not depict a real object.

I'm curious, though, as well on the age of the photos. I'd certainly never seen them before. The first time I looked at them, the first thing that struck me was how they looked, at the very least, not digital, as the colors seem more like what I'm used to getting out of real film. But, hey, I could always be wrong.

-Baikal
Old 28 June 2007, 05:45 PM
major accent

Default photoshop etc

I subsequently noted that the message board (or its equivalent) on the coast to coast site featured many opinions that the images are photoshopped. I agree that some images are more convincing than others, but there are images that were supposedly taken by different people at different locations.

I think news crews are probably likely to assume that someone that calls in with info like this is irrational or unreliable. Admittedly if I observed something like this I would never think of calling to report it for this reason. I've never seen an unidentified flying object of any kind.

Some also say the apparent lettering is Japanese, but I think it's fair to say it doesn't appear to exactly match the klingon, star wars font, or Japanese.

It does look human designed to me, and doesn't seem capable of flight. I'll reserve final judgment until I see this thing in flight!

The anonymous commentary from the individual noted in the Spook Central thread adds an intriguing wrinkle, though.
Old 28 June 2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
Those pictures are old and generally agreed in the scientific community to be fake.

Glad that's been clarified.
Old 29 June 2007, 01:25 AM

It's a flying ceiling fan!