snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 18 October 2017, 02:38 PM

Icon09 Roku and Sling TV

OK, I'm tech. Challenged...to a point. DH and I want to cut the cable. It's just unaffordable. To watch the 10 (maybe) channels we watch we have to pay for 240 we never ever will. We're considering AT&T internet there is data cap 1T. We think we could see most of what we want for a bit moe than half of what we pay now. Enlighten me snopsters. I've read some expert reviews, but I'd love it If you' d dumb it down for me.
Old 18 October 2017, 03:06 PM

I don't have a Roku, but I do have Sling TV. We watch through an XBox.
Before DirecTV screwed us over, we had been paying for high speed internet, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and DirecTV. The DirecTV bill was well over $120 a month. After dropping that, we switched to Sling and Hulu, which cut close to $100 a month off our bill.
First thing, your TV is completely dependent on internet access. I am going to have internet anyway, so I don't add that cost. But if your internet connection is out, so is TV. In addition, you have to have relatively fast internet. If you will only be using it in one place, you need to consistently remain above 5 Mbps to have a smooth experience. Multiple sites in the house, and you probably need to have 20 or better. If you can get that, then the first hurdle is cleared.
Next, you have to accept that it will not be as smooth as watching cable. As far as I can tell on Sling, they aren't just streaming the feed, but are streaming individual shows. This means that at the transition between shows, it can get a bit wonky. Sometimes, it will cut right at the end of a show, have a few seconds of dead time, then pick back up a few seconds earlier in that last show before going into the next one. I don't know of any times that I've missed any section of a show.
In addition, I don't know of an easy way to DVR anything. I know that someone who really knows what they are doing could probably do it, but otherwise you'll need to rely on streaming. This is generally pretty good, but there are some definite problems. Some shows are just not available for streaming. For example, we like to watch The Freemaker Chronicles. At no point were they ever available to just stream in order. Instead, there would be random episodes up - last time I checked, I could watch episodes 4, 5, 7, 9, or 13. So you can't really rely on having the show you want to watch on demand.
Also with Sling, they do have a little bit of a problem with charging for channels you don't want. They have two basic packages, one $20 and one $25. There are some channels that you may want that are only on one or the other. But, because you can switch month to month, we swap around as needed to see the shows we want. There has only been one two month span where we had both.
I'm not sure what else you would like to know, or if that covered it.
Old 18 October 2017, 03:16 PM

It sounds doable. I am curious if AT&T internet will work with it because if data caps. Thanks for the help.
Old 18 October 2017, 03:35 PM

Obviously things will vary depending on the quality of the stream, but a 1 hour HD show takes up about 4 gb on our DVR. If the streamed shows are of a similar size, 1 terabyte would allow about 256 hours of TV a month (assuming you don't use any other data of course).
Old 18 October 2017, 04:51 PM

I have a Roku box. It is pretty good. There are different ones that cost different prices. I think some have games that you can download some games and play them. And some you can plug in a flash drive into for whatever reason. There are many "apps" that can download to Roku, like Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Amazon, PBS, Pandora, Spotify, iheartradio, YouTube, Facebook, and many other apps. The local CBS affiliate in my area has an app for Roku also. Most of the apps that you can get on your phone, you can get get on the Roku box. A good portion of the apps you don't have to pay for. While apps like Hulu and Netflix you will have to pay monthly for. Sometimes it seems like when watching live shows, the steam will freeze up. So I don't know if my internet connection can't support the live stream or if the problem is on the side of the connect, or what the issue is. I would recommend it.
Old 18 October 2017, 06:09 PM

We have a cap on ours that it slows down after a while, and we have never hit it. About all we do is watch TV through the internet, and I play some online games. I think you would have to have a number of people using it, or one or two people using it almost constantly, to hit that.
Old 18 October 2017, 07:14 PM

I should add to my earlier post, I don't think you should go over your cap. My mom, one of my brothers, and I live together and don't use that much data. We don't have a cap, but my internet provider tells me how much we do use on the monthly statement. We have a few laptops, three smartphones, and a few Roku boxes and don't use that much. About the only way you may use 1TB of data, like others have said, is if you have a bunch of people living in your house and are constently streaming/doing something on the interent.
Old 18 October 2017, 11:55 PM

I don't have all the technical details, but I used a bottom-model Roku for a while, and it worked very well and without any technical hurdles. I used it primarily for watching Netflix and occasionally Amazon Prime. (I did look at a few of the other available channels, such as Crackle, but never made much use of them.) I had the bottom-line model because it supported the older TV I had, but that meant it didn't give me access to YouTube.

Since I moved up to hi-def, I also bought a "smart" Blu-Ray player which gives me access to most streaming services (and YouTube) as well. The particular model/device I have (a Samsung) has some odd occasional glitches, but in general it works fine.

Incidentally, I also bought a cheap indoor antenna for broadcast TV. I don't use it much, but it pulls in very clear HD pictures. I hadn't been previously aware of the various "side" channels, such as MeTV. When I was still watching Charger games, I found the picture quality slightly superior to that on cable (which we also had). It might be worth a look if you want access to local programming. (Yes, TV via broadcast signal is still a thing!)
Old 25 October 2017, 04:30 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I (Yes, TV via broadcast signal is still a thing!)
I still see the occasional outdoor antenna.
Old 25 October 2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I still see the occasional outdoor antenna.
About 25% of homes still use antennas and don't have cable or satellite TV.