snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 27 December 2017, 12:32 PM

I finally got to see Justice League yesterday - was kind of forced to, every prior potential opportunity got torpedoed at the last minute, and JL was on the way out, it went from like 10 local theaters to 1 over the weekend. So this was pretty much my last opportunity to see it in the theater.

Thought it was all right, had some good bits, but mostly it was not quite there - which makes sense, as it had originally been intended to be a two-parter. But I didn't hate anything, and overall enjoyed it.

My big takeaway from this, however, was that I will never go to a movie again during school break. And it wasn't just the kids - although getting candy thrown on me by some little twerp was certainly annoying. It was the older teens and the twenty-somethings who insisted on talking about The Last Jedi and other Star Wars stuff throughout the entire movie, or showing up 40 minutes into the movie and making other people move so they could sit together (in a surprisingly crowded theater) while they stood and blocked even more people's view of the screen while the seating arrangements were sorted out. A LOT of minor and not-so-minor annoyances. Never again.
Old 01 January 2018, 04:44 AM

I just got back from seeing The Shape of Water and it was disappointing. I'd been looking forward to it based on the trailer, the reviews, and being a fan of Guillermo del Toro. It wasn't a terrible film, but I have no idea why everyone's raving about it.
Old 01 January 2018, 08:41 PM

I saw the Pixar movie Coco and loved it. I'm glad I didn't make the same mistake I made with Inside Out and watch it on an airplane where everyone could see me cry.
Old 01 January 2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
Watched "Lady Bird" this weekend. Very good coming of age story about a woman's senior year of high school and her relationship with her mother, her catholic high school, friends, classmates, and home town.

Strong themes of young people figuring out who the are, class differences, and family dynamics.

I watched in Sacramento, which is the setting of the movie, as well as the home town of the writer/director. It was very amusing to be watching the movie in the historic Tower theater which was featured in a montage of Sacramento landmarks. Something about seeing a movie in the theater that is in the movie.
I ended up rewatching Lady Bird when my family was visiting for Christmas because they wanted to see it at the Tower Theater, too. Then my sister wanted to do a "Lady Bird tour" of landmarks that appeared in the film.

We started with lunch at the Pasty Shack. It was only briefly shown in a montage of local landmarks, but I'd been wanting to try that place for a while anyway.

The Pasty Shack by mtwilda, on Flickr

Then we went to the blue house. We'd already seen it at night while walking around the Fab Forties looking at Christmas lights, but we wanted to see it in the daylight. Somewhat surprisingly, they actually describe its location accurately in the movie. It really is on 44th Street, just like Lady Bird says.

Blue house from Lady Bird by mtwilda, on Flickr

Then a drink at Club Raven.

Club Raven by mtwilda, on Flickr

And she wanted to pose for a picture in front of the convenience store where Lady Bird goes on her 18th birthday.

Convenience store from Lady Bird by mtwilda, on Flickr
Old 02 January 2018, 06:08 PM

Whalephant

I saw Jumanji on the 31st. It was entertaining and I did love the nod/easter egg they incorporated with regards to Robin Williams, in it. The explanation they provided as to why it's not a board game was also acceptable..

All in all, it was a fun watch.
Old 02 January 2018, 06:13 PM

Really neat that you did that WildaBeast.

My son took me to see Last Jedi. Well, I drove since he is just 10 but my sister gave him a gift card to take me to the movie.
Old 02 January 2018, 06:15 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I saw Jumanji on the 31st. It was entertaining and I did love the nod/easter egg they incorporated with regards to Robin Williams, in it. The explanation they provided as to why it's not a board game was also acceptable..

Very interesting. It took me a while to parse this. I too saw Jumanji on the 31st. I saw the original on television. First time seeing it.

I could not remember the easter egg, nod, explanation or anything special around Robin Williams.

Then it struck me, you saw the remake. Now, it all makes sense.
Old 10 January 2018, 09:23 AM

So is Lady Bird essentially the American answer to Looking For Alibrandi?

Because I fricking loved Alibrandi.
Old 11 January 2018, 02:35 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post

I took my 3 children to see that over Christmas. It was a fun movie ideal for a cold afternoon.
Old 11 January 2018, 04:08 AM

Saw The Last Jedi with the family, and enjoyed it. Yes, there were some problems (as others have mentioned in this thread - really don't spend too much thought on the logistics of the bombing run scene - rule of cool is in full effect, physics, biology, and logic be damned), and the movie was probably 20 minutes too long, but I don't get the fandom hate. I thought that Luke's arc was well handled, and about the best that could have gone in terms of characterization. Some neat new characters were introduced, and I loved the "broom boy" at the end.
Old 11 January 2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskinner View Post
Watched "Lady Bird" this weekend. Very good coming of age story about a woman's senior year of high school and her relationship with her mother, her catholic high school, friends, classmates, and home town.
It's not really the genre for me, but I went to see it anyway after the Golden Globes win. I'm trying to get use out of the MoviePass I got for Christmas. I thought it was well made, but uneventful, so I had positive feelings about it but was also impatient for it to end.

I did like that most of the characters weren't one dimensional cliches. The main character made mistakes and those who were in some situations antagonists were not scenery chewing villains just trying to make her life difficult. There were many of the common events in countless high school films, but when they were building toward obvious resolutions, usually something less expected and more naturalistic happened. The dialogue mostly resembled how those characters might actually speak to one another rather than everyone sounding like English majors who spent 10 minutes planning out their well-crafted off-the-cuff remarks.
Old 12 January 2018, 02:40 PM

I actually watched Heathers fairly recently. It’s interesting to see how much it has dated (so much that the musical is set in 1989, a time when you could lose yourself in a 7-Eleven). Also, I actually found it unsettling when I first saw it, although now I’ve mellowed out enough that I can appreciate the storytelling techniques used (the opening fantasy, anyone?) and “Candy Store” is a song (from the musical) that got stuck in my head.

Also, I watched Ballerina the other day. While things like the green Statue Of Liberty did bother me (for those who don’t remember either History or Don Bluth: it’s copper) it was a fairly enjoyable movie with an awesome dance-off.
Old 13 January 2018, 01:57 AM

Mouse

I saw The Post. It is a well-crafted film. Both Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep have enough sheer charisma and star-power to blow you away, but in light of recent events, it's kind of hard to enjoy. It harkens back to a quaint time in which the president intruding upon civil liberties was something to worry about and he could face consequences for his crimes. That and the press actually tried to inform the public and didn't just serve as glorified stenographers to the people in power.

As I keep saying, Nixon had some competence and work ethic to go with all the villainy. That may be the worst aspect of the modern era; as if it's not enough we're being ruled by villains, we're being ruled by incompetent, lazy ones. Nixon would use manipulation and subterfuge to get what he wanted; the modern GOP just insists that something is real, then they scream and throw a tantrum whenever actual facts enter into the conversation.

I don't know if we have any Snopesters living in or around Yorba Linda, California, but as far as I'm concerned, the property values in that area have plummeted because the whole town echoes with the wails of Nixon's angry ghost, constantly going. "Oh come on! They got me out of office on less than this!"

Eh, I suppose I shouldn't have gotten all political, but it is a movie I've seen recently and it is about a political issue.
Old 13 January 2018, 11:58 PM

Baseball

Just saw Oz, the Great and Powerful.

I was impressed. I rarely am with prequels, and especially with prequels of iconic films.

But this one had enough different from the original, but not too much different to change the timbre of the film. I loved the colour infusion, much like the original, but the story was considerably more dark. That was refreshing.

All told, I went in with moderate hopes, and was wonderfully delighted.
Old 21 January 2018, 03:33 AM

Mouse

I saw The Last Jedi again. I really liked it the first time around and I enjoyed it again. More and more, I am baffled by the level of hate this movie gets. It has its flaws, but that kind of hatred should only be directed towards the prequels. I think the problem is that Star Wars is basically made up of the unpleasable fanbase who are going to hate the movies no matter what approach they take. If they try to do something new, they'll howl about how you're ruining Star Wars, but if they were to do a retread, they'd howl about how you've forever ruined Star Wars.

I just shake my head at all this, because some of the critiques don't really make a lot of sense. The Force has always been very vaguely defined, so it's not to difficult to believe that Luke could manage Force holograms. Though the stuff about physics and the spaceship battles...well, in nearly every action movie, the laws of physics are, to paraphrase Captain Barbossa, they're more like guidelines really. George Lucas based the starship fights in the original trilogy on footage of WWII dogfights; hence why the X-Wings and Tie Fighters are doing the kind of stunts that can only be done, y'know, in a place that has gravity and therefore, isn't space.

And of course, Luke has been through some shit, so excuse him for being angry and bitter. I find that one of the neat explorations they're doing in the new trilogy. The ending of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi, had something of a "They all lived happily ever after" sort of thing going for it, then fast-forward to Force Awakens and it turns out that nothing worked out for anybody. The farmboy who became a Jedi Master and defeated the Empire, screwed up when it mattered most, and a new Empire picked up where the old one left off.

Having it turn out the way it did for the Original Heroes, was a bold choice and may have done a lot to keep the movies from being retreads of the original trilogy with some new characters thrown in and the Original Heroes making callbacks.

I am aware that many consider The Force Awakens to be a retread of A New Hope, but I disagree on that as well. My thoughts are mostly in line with Confused Matthew in that on the surface, The Force Awakens was like A New Hope and it did use some of the same tropes, but The Force Awakens used the tropes in different ways and in doing so, managed to tell a new story and still be faithful to the old. Much of the similarities in The Force Awakens was probably the filmmakers easing us into things, getting us ready to accept the new by packaging it with some of the old. They could have easily just been like, "Eh, it's got Han and Leia and the rest, we don't need to make them care about the new characters," but they did put forth the effort with the new characters.

Though back to the original movie, Poe should have gotten way more of a chewing out than what he did, since he wiped out an entire squad of bombers, just so he could feel all smug. Yeah, he received some chewing out, but nowhere near enough of it. During an evacuation, focus on protecting your people and try to get as many out as you can. Maybe there's a time for hot jock stunts, but it wasn't then.

Without going into Spoilers, I remain disappointed that we didn't get more as to Snoke's backstory. A villain without a backstory is basically the equivalent of sending Our Hero to face a box with a frowny-face on it with a gun taped to it. The villain may fire off a few shots, but it never feels like it is a proper conflict with both sides sweating and struggling to get what they want.

Since I am an inveterate creator of fanfiction/fan theories, I started creating my own backstory for Snoke as soon as the first movie ended, which I will stand by until it gets Jossed. Though even if it does get Jossed, if I don't like the canon explanation, I will feel free to mostly disregard that. In addition, I am also a passionate fan of the concept of discontinuity: if there's something in the canon you don't like, throw out what you don't like and hold onto what you do.

Though of course, there's all the Dudebro/MRA hissyfits about all this. As always, those who rant and rave about "special snowflakes" and "SJWs" will invariably be the thinnest-skinned special snowflakes of them all. With all the posturing, they only prove what weak, pitiful men they are.

For some reason, women can survive countless movies and stories that are basically giant sausage fests, but ask a dudebros to enjoy something that has a female character front and center? Their feeble minds simply can't bear it. The mere existence of a woman being something besides a disposable love interest, frightens and terrifies them.

Probably the only woman they could every really love, is their anime body pillow. Body pillows don't complain or talk back; they don't have any pesky feelings or issues that may force a dudebros to :gasp: consider the needs and concerns of someone who isn't them; it's even scarier if this someone has a pair of ovaries! Though even their body pillow would leave them if they could, because again, they are the whiniest, most entitled, thinned-skinned assholes around.

As always, I take comfort in that for all their posturing, they are ultimately losing. They bluster and throw hissyfits because deep down, they know they are losing. The world is becoming more diverse, which is leading to more stories with women, PoC, and LGBT characters entering the mainstream. The tide is shifting and they are trying desperately to beat it back, but it's ultimately a futile effort.
Old 21 January 2018, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I saw The Last Jedi again. I really liked it the first time around and I enjoyed it again. More and more, I am baffled by the level of hate this movie gets.
It's because the movie doesn't hold up to the nostalgia-colored memories they have of watching the original movies. The Empire Strikes Back wouldn't hold up under the same level of criticism, but because they saw it when they were five and applied a special layer of protection to it.