snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Urban Legends

Old 05 August 2008, 07:22 PM

United States Highest Traces of Cocaine Found on U.S. Bills

Paper money contains high traces of cocaine, regardless of whether or not the paper money came into direct contact with the drug. And U.S. bills take the top spot, covered in the greatest amount of the illegal powder, while Spanish notes are the most highly contaminated in Europe, a new study finds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...foundonusbills
Old 13 August 2008, 10:00 AM

Not that I'm an expert in illicit drugs but being English I know a fair bit about teabags, which makes me doubt the following:

Quote:
A gram of cocaine would fill about half a tea bag
Must be a very small teabag.
Old 21 August 2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
For Irish bank notes, one statistic suggested that of 48 notes studied the highest concentration found was 0.5 micrograms.
Gosh, they sure spread their wings wide on this test.
Old 22 August 2008, 03:27 AM

This seems like a total waste of research money. Even if you're just going to compare techniques, you should study something that might have some possible practical, academic, scientific or social value. I don't see one in finding out how much cocaine is on money around the world.
Old 22 August 2008, 01:27 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
Quote:
For Irish bank notes, one statistic suggested that of 48 notes studied the highest concentration found was 0.5 micrograms.
Gosh, they sure spread their wings wide on this test.
In fairness, the study was being funded in U.S. dollars. 48 Irish bank notes was all they could afford!

Old 10 October 2008, 05:33 PM
NotQuitePokey

Theme Icon cocaine blues

I have heard, not quite sure if it is true, but the highest traces of cocaine are on a 100 dollar bill. Still small enough to get ones hands on but large enough that it is not circulated as much. Not that I know anything about cocaine.
Old 21 October 2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
Not that I'm an expert in illicit drugs but being English I know a fair bit about teabags, which makes me doubt the following:
Quote:
A gram of cocaine would fill about half a tea bag
Must be a very small teabag.
An approximate gram of cocaine is a level half teaspoon. That would be about half a teabag (or, more accurately, about half the amount of tea in a teabag), at least on this side of the pond.
Old 23 October 2008, 07:33 PM
Donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
An approximate gram of cocaine is a level half teaspoon. That would be about half a teabag (or, more accurately, about half the amount of tea in a teabag), at least on this side of the pond.
Doodz!! Y'all are getting ripped off!
Old 12 November 2008, 03:08 PM

Default TV station detects cocaine on cash

A Hartford, Conn., TV station says four out of nine bills it collected from local businesses tested positive for cocaine.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/11/...2351226449942/
Old 12 November 2008, 03:12 PM

Ponder

The trend these days is towards plastic straws more than banknotes. I guess with the credit crunch and all you don't want to be losing even trace amounts of your ching to bank-notes
Old 13 November 2008, 01:51 AM
Altered Statesman

This myth always reminds me of a story my mum wrote when she was at school (a school of about 30 students in the town of Deligate, NSW) entitled 'My Life as a Penny' about all the places and people a penny meets on its journey through life. I've always thought this would make a good short film or movie.

The coke thing probably has something to do with the 6 (or 7) degrees of Kevin Bacon game/theory.
Old 13 November 2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuitePokey View Post
I have heard, not quite sure if it is true, but the highest traces of cocaine are on a 100 dollar bill. Still small enough to get ones hands on but large enough that it is not circulated as much. Not that I know anything about cocaine.
Psst... It is the largest denomination we have. Haven't had larger since 1969.
Old 14 November 2008, 03:54 PM
NotQuitePokey

D'oh!

Told you I didn't really know if it was true... And I guess I don't keep up enough on currency to have known that, I am lucky if I see a fifty (darn economy). I really do appreciate that you corrected me.
Old 15 November 2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Paper money contains high traces of cocaine, regardless of whether or not the paper money came into direct contact with the drug. And U.S. bills take the top spot, covered in the greatest amount of the illegal powder, while Spanish notes are the most highly contaminated in Europe, a new study finds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...foundonusbills
There is no such thing now as Spanish notes. They are Euro and interchangable throughout the entire European Union. (the link is dead, so not sure if this has been mentioned.)
Old 15 November 2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuitePokey View Post
Actually, the 100 dollar bill is the largest denomination still minted in the U.S.

Avril
Old 17 November 2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
There is no such thing now as Spanish notes. They are Euro and interchangable throughout the entire European Union. (the link is dead, so not sure if this has been mentioned.)
They used Euro notes obtained in Spain, the same as they did with the limited sample of Euro notes taken from Ireland.
Here's another link.

ETA: We're remarkably low according to this report, although I think uncirculated banknotes helped our position.
Old 17 August 2009, 04:28 PM

Icon605 Most U.S. Money Laced with Cocaine

Traces of cocaine taint up to 90 percent of paper money in the United States, a new study finds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...cedwithcocaine
Old 17 August 2009, 05:19 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Traces of cocaine taint up to 90 percent of paper money in the United States, a new study finds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...cedwithcocaine
From the article:
Quote:
"I'm not sure why we've seen this apparent increase, but it could be related to the economic downturn, with stressed people turning to cocaine," Zuo said.
Might I recommend xanax, which is, I think, cheaper, and also something that may actually calm one rather than supercharging the asshole part of one's personality as cocaine does?
Old 17 August 2009, 06:14 PM

Icon19

Quote:
The Medical College of Wisconsin is advertising in The Onion and on Craigslist to find 200 cokeheads for a five-year study of the effects of the drug on the brain.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/53255387.html
Old 17 August 2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
"I'm not sure why we've seen this apparent increase, but it could be related to the economic downturn, with stressed people turning to cocaine," Zuo said.
I wonder if bills are lasting longer in circulation these days as people more and more use plastic to pay for everything. The longer a bill is in circulation the greater the chances of it picking up contaminants?