snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 16 December 2017, 05:12 PM

Default Scientists Say Japanese Monkeys Are Having 'Sexual Interactions' With Deer

OK, I have just got to post this one. Try this on the next people you run into who are claiming that some human behavior or other is "not natural":

Story here.

Quote:
Adolescent female monkeys in Japan have repeatedly engaged in sexual behaviors with sika deer [ . . . ] Five of the female monkeys had "successful heterospecific consortships" with deer. That is, they had "a temporary, but exclusive, sexual association" with an individual from another species

However, what I found was even more interesting in the story was this bit, which is just thrown in there without much attention being paid to it:

Quote:
Japanese macaques are known to ride deer like humans ride horses, for fun or transportation
-- I mean, supposedly it took humans until somewhere around 4000 BCE to figure out that trick. Maybe we should have been watching the macaques? Maybe we did occasionally go in for it much sooner? Maybe the macaques picked it up at some point from watching us?
Old 18 December 2017, 11:43 AM

Icon19

So there was some monkey business going on? Dear me!
Old 18 December 2017, 12:59 PM

Macaques also like to hang out in hot springs.
Old 18 December 2017, 07:01 PM

drifting off a bit, I saw an Onion headline along the lines of exactly the first hit in a google search to re-find the Onion link;

Trump nominee: Same-sex marriage could lead to legalizing pedophilia (thehill.com)
dated Aug 21, 2017.

The Onion literally reused a serious headline from a regular news source in August as a joke about Rob Moore in December.