snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 14 July 2018, 04:14 PM

Royalty The 3 royal rules Donald Trump broke during his excruciating meeting with the Queen.

There’s one atrocity the people of Britain cannot, will not stand for. You simply do not mess with the Queen. Of course, that’s exactly what Trump did when he and first lady Melania Trump met Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor Castle on Saturday, the last of Trump’s official engagements during his visit to the United Kingdom.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...Oz4?li=AAqARMz

My favourite (among many) Twitter exchanges:

Quote:
Sarah Sanders says: POTUS reviews the troops with Queen Elizabeth II at Windsor, one of the few if not the only times in over 70yrs, she has done so with a head of state.

Bethanney responds: President Obama and Michelle got a State Dinner with the Queen and an overnight stay at Buckingham Palace. But do go on about Trump’s 20 minutes of tea time...
Old 14 July 2018, 05:25 PM

Even if she wasn't the Queen, the orange thing was being rude to a 92 year old woman.
Old 14 July 2018, 05:40 PM

Really, he only broke one rule: don't be Donald Trump in the presence of other people.
Old 14 July 2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Even if she wasn't the Queen, the orange thing was being rude to a 92 year old woman.
That was the point a friend of mine made when we were talking about this. He is incapable of simple courtesy to anyone.
Old 14 July 2018, 05:47 PM

He was late, rude and seemingly clueless about how to behave in the situation. Its difficult and embarrassing to watch.

I otherwise don't care if he or anyone else breaks royal rules.
Old 14 July 2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
He was late, rude and seemingly clueless about how to behave in the situation. Its difficult and embarrassing to watch.

I otherwise don't care if he or anyone else breaks royal rules.
If someone wants to meet with the Queen as desperately as Trump apparently did I would expect them to adhere to the established protocol - and to have the sense to learn how to behave when they must know that they are "on stage" and under intense scrutiny in another country.

I suspect he thought the Queen was delighted to meet him. I suspect he was wrong.
Old 14 July 2018, 06:01 PM

But he didn't really want to meet her. He wanted to be invited, and seen.meeting with her. He probably has no interest in her whatsoever. Except, maybe, "so, this royalty gig seems pretty good, how do I get this?"
Old 14 July 2018, 09:11 PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Trump was late on purpose. Isn't that supposed to be a "negotiating strategy", asserting dominance over the other person by making them wait? For all I know it may come from The Art of the Deal, which I haven't read and have no desire to. I don't think Trump was actually negotiating anything with the Queen, but he seems to consider everyone an adversary or competitor.

And for that matter didn't Republicans criticize Obama for bowing to the Queen? Like saying that meant he was "submitting" to a foreign government or something like that? So that may have been on purpose too. Not that there's any way Trump would ever bow to anyone anyway.
Old 14 July 2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Trump was late on purpose. Isn't that supposed to be a "negotiating strategy", asserting dominance over the other person by making them wait? For all I know it may come from The Art of the Deal, which I haven't read and have no desire to. I don't think Trump was actually negotiating anything with the Queen, but he seems to consider everyone an adversary or competitor.
Another article I read said Trump was a little late but it seemed longer because the Queen was early. And there you have the difference between someone with class and someone who is an ass. She extended him the courtesy of arriving early so he would not have to wait for her. He, on the other hand deliberately arrived late because he thinks that somehow makes him look like he's the most important person in the room (well IMO that's the reason - others may have another interpretation).
Old 14 July 2018, 09:58 PM

I wonder if the Turnip is smart enough to know that the Queen doesn't actually have any political power.
Old 14 July 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I wonder if the Turnip is smart enough to know that the Queen doesn't actually have any political power.
He's not even smart enough to know the limits of his own power. I think he genuinely believed that when he became President he could put his political enemies behind bars. It must have been a huge disappointment to him when someone gently explained to him that he'd have to be content with doing as much damage worldwide as he possibly could but he wouldn't be able to have anyone thrown into a dungeon .
Old 14 July 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
For all I know it may come from The Art of the Deal, which I haven't read and have no desire to.
Neither does 45.
Old 15 July 2018, 12:21 AM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
There’s one atrocity the people of Britain cannot, will not stand for.
Truth—certainly from some quarters anyways. It’ll be interesting to see how they get on with things when they get back to a line of Kings for the foreseeable future. I feel like there’s a trope or two that suddenly won’t be in play anymore and could lead to some interesting dynamics. The whole male savior, purity of women thing, etc.

Because that’s honestly what I think is going on with the UK and QE II. People can abide a powerless Queen who lives up to some ancient notion of femininity and purity, but I’m not so sure Charles, William, or whatever the next one's name is will invoke such awe and majesty from the same quarters who get all bent out of shape over this "one atrocity."

Whoa, that was OT.
Old 15 July 2018, 12:36 AM

That's okay. But there is one thing that William has done that orange thing bought his way out of. And that is serve with distinction in the military in a war zone. And by the way, he was serving as a member of NATO.
Old 15 July 2018, 12:43 AM

Eh, that kind of misses my point. Trump is a terrible person. Some British folks have a strange degree of devotion to their monarch, who happens to be an (apparently kindly—at least that’s the portrayal) old woman at present.

The two are unrelated, other than they just met for tea.
Old 15 July 2018, 01:16 AM

Actually, I should have added that the Queen also did what the orange one did not do. She served in the military during WWII working in the motor pool changing oil etc. I think that may be part of her appeal, being one with the people at least in appearance. I think that will not carry over to Charles but will to William.

But what do I know. I barely speak English having lived in Texas for almost 40 years. And before that, in Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi.
Old 15 July 2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
And there you have the difference between someone with class and someone who is an ass. She extended him the courtesy of arriving early so he would not have to wait for her. He, on the other hand deliberately arrived late because he thinks that somehow makes him look like he's the most important person in the room (well IMO that's the reason - others may have another interpretation).
And here's an article saying that guests are expected to arrive before the queen. Which would mean she's an ass by protocol. So it's hard to fault him for this one.

But hey, I can see that making an elderly woman wait is a bit rude. But it's rude that he didn't bow to her? Jesus, are reporters just getting bored with finding actual terrible things he's done, and now they have to write about any dumb thing they can think of as long as it's trending on Twitter?

(Also, in an article about failing to uphold tradition, should you really call her Liz?)
Old 15 July 2018, 02:34 AM

Mouse

Ugh...when I heard that Trump was meeting with the Queen, I just knew that it would be the kind of meeting where the Queen is like, “When I was in my teens and twenties, I had to deal with Nazis. And somehow this is more irritating.”

It makes sense that they wouldn’t get along, since she couldn’t recognize the very fine people on both sides.
Old 15 July 2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
And here's an article saying that guests are expected to arrive before the queen. Which would mean she's an ass by protocol. So it's hard to fault him for this one.
Mostly that bit of advice that would apply to situations where there will be a large gathering of people and you're going to cause possible security issues or you are going look stupid and/or vain by arriving late (somewhat akin to rushing down the aisle AFTER the bride has made her entrance) - not when you're the only guest. Trump IMO deliberately kept the Queen waiting so he could make an entrance. Anyone who thinks Trump doesn't think he's the most important person in the room hasn't been paying attention the last couple of years - or really the last couple of decades.
Old 15 July 2018, 07:00 AM

In a news story, I ran across a quote on the (then-upcoming) meeting from a Robert Hardman, who was credited as a "Royal Biographer."

Quote:
They actually have quite a lot in common. They've both got Scottish mothers, they both own fairly large parts of Scotland -- in her case Balmoral, in his case two golf courses -- and she's used to dealing with the most appalling despots, monsters, crooks, dictators. I think they're going to get on great.